SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I love this pickup for Hak and Co. We get blue chippers, Forbort/Nelson/Grimaldi/Miller, but they also build for the future by bringing in an older experienced D. We all were waiting for another D to be added considering how many we're going lose and potentially lose early in the next 2 season. This is a how the Sioux build, they want the best players, but also want a leader who will be here. Great pickup and a smart pickup to anchor us for years to come encase we lose Forbort or Simpson early.

Oh my I can't wait to see this kid put on the skates, the fans of Minnesota's Pansies on Ice are going to love this guy, we will hear how he is nothing but a goon and a brusier. I love it!!! I can't wait to see the pretty boys from Minnesota and Saint Cloud ducking under his checks... These are the kind of guys that if they have a solid season they are gone because someone in the next level will like his grit and toughness.

and he's to old... :lol:

So i checked out Stattuck's team for the first time today and just going off status it appears they have big time scorers and D men. Are the Sioux looking at anyone from Bantum or anything.

You'd think. What a great opportunity for an unofficial visit for not only the Shattuck teams, but for every elite team in GF this weekend. I noticed Shattuck plays at the main Ralph rink 2 games. Interesting put there. Get them used to playing in the best hockey arena in the world...

You'd think. What a great opportunity for an unofficial visit for not only the Shattuck teams, but for every elite team in GF this weekend. I noticed Shattuck plays at the main Ralph rink 2 games. Interesting put there. Get them used to playing in the best hockey arena in the world...

Not sure which team but saw one last night where dang near every player was wearing a green Sioux hoodie. You just can't buy better advertising.

Looks like Justin Jones' has left DU. I agree with a majority of the people out there in that he was added to try to entice his brother (Seth Jones, USNDTP) to accept an offer to DU. This might make UND look that much more appealing now that Seth will most likely commit before his brother has a chance to find another school. Just a thought.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/01/justin-jones-leaves-du-and-returns-to.html

Looks like Justin Jones' has left DU. I agree with a majority of the people out there in that he was added to try to entice his brother (Seth Jones, USNDTP) to accept an offer to DU. This might make UND look that much more appealing now that Seth will most likely commit before his brother has a chance to find another school. Just a thought.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/01/justin-jones-leaves-du-and-returns-to.html

Looks like Gwoz's plan didn't work out on that one. ;)

http://letsgodu.blog...returns-to.html

Not a bad idea, a player needs game time to really improve. On the flip side players do grow and develop even if they have limited ice time there first two years in school. That may hurt DU down the road as the season grinds on.

I'll be curious to see if Moorhead goalie Michael Bitzer gets any USHL and/or D1 attention the next couple years. He's having a very solid year as a junior, and has looked very good every time I've seen him this season. He's currently tied for first in the state in save percentage (.946) and has a 1.60 GAA (5th place), not to mention a 12-4 record.

Anybody else have any thoughts on Bitzer?

I'll be curious to see if Moorhead goalie Michael Bitzer gets any USHL and/or D1 attention the next couple years. He's having a very solid year as a junior, and has looked very good every time I've seen him this season. He's currently tied for first in the state in save percentage (.946) and has a 1.60 GAA (5th place), not to mention a 12-4 record.

Anybody else have any thoughts on Bitzer?

I worked with him for several years in the weight room and with off-season plyo's and conditioning (this past summer was the only one I didn't)...so things might have changed but he is one heck of a baseball player and that seemed to be where his heart was at.

Brian Cooper of the Fargo Force committed to UNO. I think UND was interested but I heard he was deciding between UNO and Minnesota but don't quote me on that. With Blais at UNO, they are starting to be a real competitor on and off the ice.

Why does Blais keep recruiting all these quality AND lunch pail-type players to UNO when he's just going to be coaching Minnesota next year? You'd think he'd keep a couple in his pocket for later. ohmy.gif

Why does Blais keep recruiting all these quality AND lunch pail-type players to UNO when he's just going to be coaching Minnesota next year? You'd think he'd keep a couple in his pocket for later. ohmy.gif

Good point, but hasn't Blais had at least 2 or 3 players decommit from other programs to come and play at UNO? I think he'll be in Omaha for the long haul, but it's not out of the question that he could head to Minnesota and take some of these players with him if he wanted.

I saw somewhere that Keaton Thompson from Devils Lake will play with the Force after the ND High School season is over. Isn't he only a 9th Grader, or is he a sophomore? Regardless, pretty impressive.

Mr. Hockey candidate Jonny Brodzinski from Blaine will also be joining the Force after the season. Despite the fact that his dad played for SCSU and that the family as a whole are Husky fans, I've heard that UND has had some interest in him. It could just be to get access at his talented younger brother too. Motzko used to coach the Brodzinski dad and they're in semi-regular contact, but Bob has not pulled the trigger on either of the kids yet. If they don't pan out as college players, Bob will look like a genius. If they make it to D1 at some other school and are decent, I'm going to be pissed.

any new or other potential recruits for the sioux? or players to keep a eye on. thanks

One player that we've shown some level of interest in has been Thomas Schutt, who plays for Minnetonka down here in the Twin Cities. He's a senior. He's already been on an unofficial visit to campus. His brother goes to UND currently, and photographic evidence suggests he's a Sioux fan. I like that. Players that aren't gopher brainwashed that live in the Twin Cities. :D I've seen him play a couple times. I think he's kind of in the Jason Gregoire mold. Pretty underrated,Smart, 2 way player with capabilities to shut down other team's top lines. Good skater, decent size, plays the point on the power play, good at disrupting plays and creating turnovers, has some grit and offensive skills. He doesn't have the big offensive numbers (30 points in 23 games) but part of that probably has to do with his team and the fact that they have 5 guys with 30 + points. And he does a lot of little things really well, which is why he reminds me of Gregoire. I think he's a guy to keep an eye on, particularly when he hits juniors. He's drafted by Lincoln in the USHL.

I'm looking forward to the state tournament to see if anyone jumps out at me there. I've been wondering myself if anyone has any other inside info on who we are recruiting, particularly if they are in the area so I can go watch them play! :D So if anyone knows of any other kids I should go watch play down here, let me know! :D

On a side note, UNO sure has gotten a lot of pretty solid recruits lately! I've been impressed with some of the guys they've been able to land.

On a side note, UNO sure has gotten a lot of pretty solid recruits lately! I've been impressed with some of the guys they've been able to land.

Indeed. Some look like gambles, but Cooper and Jayson Megna are two players any team would love to have. If half of their gambles turn out (which with Blais I'm sure they will), that team will be scary good.

Of course, the most frightening freshman class next season is going to have to be Miami (sorry Sioux fans). It's a tight race between MacMillan/O'Donnell/Grimaldi versus Coleman/Mullin/Biggs, but the edge goes to the forwards proven in the USHL. If it's any consolation, I don't think sconnie or the goofers can touch your group.

Indeed. Some look like gambles, but Cooper and Jayson Megna are two players any team would love to have. If half of their gambles turn out (which with Blais I'm sure they will), that team will be scary good.

Of course, the most frightening freshman class next season is going to have to be Miami (sorry Sioux fans). It's a tight race between MacMillan/O'Donnell/Grimaldi versus Coleman/Mullin/Biggs, but the edge goes to the forwards proven in the USHL. If it's any consolation, I don't think sconnie or the goofers can touch your group.

miami does have some good ones! remember to throw miller in with those 3 at und. he makes a heck of a difference with comparing. you going to the games this weekend exiled??

From the mouth of Maturi himself, he has no intention of hiring Blais, stating that he would rather have a younger up-and-coming coach to lead the program for the foreseeable future than a coach in the twillight of his career who may be gone in two years. Then again, Maturi might not even be there when the new Pres takes over.

miami does have some good ones! remember to throw miller in with those 3 at und. he makes a heck of a difference with comparing. you going to the games this weekend exiled??

I remembered Miller. One could argue that Miller could be countered with Czarnik, but I limited myself to three forwards because having more than that emerge as solid freshmen contributors is rare.

I'll be at the Friday game, yes. I sold my Saturday tickets to DAR. I looked for a Husky fan to sell them to first, but didn't find one in time. I'm a terrible fan. :(

Unfortunately, I'll be in Mankato watching the bullfrogs beat up the landcows in Mankato Saturday night. My UMD freinds and I rotate which school we follow for our annual roadtrip.