SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I love the comparison of UND to Duke and UNC. I'd like to be the Duke of hockey. Ummm, on that note, University of North Dakota Green Devils? Sounds stupid, but if it brings us NC like Duke, I'll take it.

Never would fly. If DL won't allow their high school to remain the Satans, then we won't be the Green Devils. And if someone suggests the Green Hornet or any other comic book "hero," I'll shoot them.

Pretty sure a lot of people are looking at him. I think he was taken in the 8th round of the WHL draft, which is not common for a North Dakota product. I've heard from people that have said that Ryan Potulny and Jake Marto would play Division 1 hockey when they were in 8th and 9th grade that he is another one that has huge potential.

My team has played against this kid and he is the real deal. Tremendous footwork, great hands, rocket shot, and this is his second year playing high school hockey. (Lead the team last year in points as an 8th grader, and he plays defense.....)

He is way ahead of most players in North Dakota high school hockey. I expect him to be playing in the USHL next year. Three years in the USHL would be the best thing for his hockey career.

Good article on Brian Cooper in the Forum today. I have been watching him play over the last two seasons. The kid is the real deal and I would love to see him landed by Hak and co. I know it is hard to say at this point, but he really reminds me of Chay. He sees the ice extremely well, moves the puck up the ice with a lot of skill, and plays a great physical game, especially for his size (5'9" 180 lbs). Brian just turned 17 in November so he still has some growing left.

He says he wants to play in the WCHA. Let's hope he signs with our squad because I would hate to play against him in the future!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/305264/group/Sports/

Good article on Brian Cooper in the Forum today. I have been watching him play over the last two seasons. The kid is the real deal and I would love to see him landed by Hak and co. I know it is hard to say at this point, but he really reminds me of Chay. He sees the ice extremely well, moves the puck up the ice with a lot of skill, and plays a great physical game, especially for his size (5'9" 180 lbs). Brian just turned 17 in November so he still has some growing left.

He says he wants to play in the WCHA. Let's hope he signs with our squad because I would hate to play against him in the future!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/305264/group/Sports/

Is UND even on his radar? From reading the article it sounds like everyone but UND is recruiting him...

Is UND even on his radar? From reading the article it sounds like everyone but UND is recruiting him...

I heard he had narrowed it to Minnesota and UNO, but then after that was a LONG time ago. And then after that someone had mentioned we were pursuing him. So I do not know what the deal is.

Gothberg and St. Clair could bend his ear as well. I really think if Hak wants him he would committ.

You know that's a good idea, they could show Oliver the "SCSU recruit" how we have taken them to the wood shed lately...

Huh? Must be a recruited walk on / depth type of player. He is a 90 so he will arrive at about 21. From MD, and 6'2" 190. Wonder if there is anticipation of someone leaving early.

I'd say there is a lack of d-men for next year concern over anticipation of anyone leaving early. I don't see any D leaving early.

My google research has quite a few USHL fights popping up on this kid. And I see he's captain of his team, so he's got some leadership abilities.

EDIT: Here's an article about him from November:

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/article_8f9dfb06-f798-11df-aa6a-001cc4c002e0.html

Having never seen him play (similar to most others posting on here), I have no idea if he is a recruited walk on or not, nor do I know if he's a solid defender.

Looks like he is not afraid to drop the gloves. In looking at his fight cards, the majority appear to be after an opponent penalty, which might mean he's sticking up for his teammates. ?? http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/7401

Either way, welcome aboard!

I'd say there is a lack of d-men for next year concern over anticipation of anyone leaving early. I don't see any D leaving early.

My google research has quite a few USHL fights popping up on this kid. And I see he's captain of his team, so he's got some leadership abilities.

EDIT: Here's an article about him from November:

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/article_8f9dfb06-f798-11df-aa6a-001cc4c002e0.html

"He is a world-class skater. People don't realize that. We saw something in him. We told him to play hockey, be a defenseman, lead our defense by example."

The Sioux have had some good success with big physical guys who can skate. This kid isn't huge, but he's got good size and perhaps with the facilities at UND he can put another 10-15# on his maturing frame. Just internet scouting here, but if the coach is right and this kid can skate as well as he says, he's got grit and is willing to stand up for his teammates (I also perused the fighting links and on some of the vids it was obvious he was coming to take an accounting of someone who took a cheap shot at a teammate). He's been voted as captain, so must have some character/leadership ability.

These are all qualities that we like to see in players here. Maybe he won't make anyone forget David Hale or Matt Green or MacWilliam, but maybe he's a guy who still has a chance to develop when put in a role that doesn't include fighting as part of the description. Maybe he's got a chance to crack the lineup, or maybe he can just provide quality depth. Either way, I trust the coaches and he sounds like a good prospect to me.

Having never seen him play (similar to most others posting on here), I have no idea if he is a recruited walk on or not, nor do I know if he's a solid defender.

Looks like he is not afraid to drop the gloves. In looking at his fight cards, the majority appear to be after an opponent penalty, which might mean he's sticking up for his teammates. ?? http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/7401

Either way, welcome aboard!

Oh my I can't wait to see this kid put on the skates, the fans of Minnesota's Pansies on Ice are going to love this guy, we will hear how he is nothing but a goon and a brusier. I love it!!! I can't wait to see the pretty boys from Minnesota and Saint Cloud ducking under his checks... These are the kind of guys that if they have a solid season they are gone because someone in the next level will like his grit and toughness.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits