SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

why bother posting and wasting time talking about it if he's not considering Sioux

I actually agree with this.

I'm surprising myself here.

He's a good player. No question. But...He's not coming here... he's CLEARLY a big Gopher fan and already told people he's going to the U. . If Lucia gets canned, he'll go to Notre Dame or something. Bank it.

Off topic, but did anyone else see that Q & A video with Nick Bjugstad and they asked him why he decided to play for the Gophers and he said something like "every kid who lives in Minnesota wants to be a Gopher....well, except for Forbort and those guys..." I laughed. We need to find more of "those guys" haha.

Anyways, carry on...

He's a good player. No question. But...He's not coming here... he's CLEARLY a big Gopher fan and already told people he's going to the U. . If Lucia gets canned, he'll go to Notre Dame or something. Bank it.

Off topic, but did anyone else see that Q & A video with Nick Bjugstad and they asked him why he decided to play for the Gophers and he said something like "every kid who lives in Minnesota wants to be a Gopher....well, except for Forbort and those guys..." I laughed. We need to find more of "those guys" haha.

Anyways, carry on...

That's funny....He's just jealous.

Anyways, carry on...

Clearly by "those guys" he meant guys from Minnesota who want to improve their game by working harder at hockey than they ever have in their lives, get some hardware in the WCHA, end their season in the NCAA tourney and have a career in the NHL. I guess we can be happy to get more of "those guys". The rest of the kids from Minnesota, they can wear the yellow and brown. :D

why bother posting and wasting time talking about it if he's not considering Sioux

if you read before typing, you would would know... it's a joke...dude.

To all of the latest coments...If you saw Mario play in person, you would get it. Everyone on this board would've loved Toni as well if he wore a green sweater. don't kid yourself. (last part directed at Leafsguy) :lol:

We want him? :huh:

I shouldn't be so critical. However, I really respected players who took a different direction rather than one that could be conspired as being the easy path.

Best example? The Eaves kids. Instead of basically walking into a starting position with Wisconsin, Ben and Patrick Eaves not only didn't go to UW, they didn't even pretend to stay in the WCHA. They played (and played well) for BC.

I think Lucia should do the same. I'd recommend trying to get into a team like Notre Dame, Michigan State, BU, BC, or Miami if he could. Not that any of those schools (or him for that matter) are interested....

As far as the Eaves boys, do you mean because their dad played at Wisconsin or because he was the coach there? The older Eaves kid was going into his 3rd year at BC when his dad was named coach and the younger Eaves had committed to BC already(not sure if he had already sent his L.O.I. or not) in which case his choice would have been to either play for his dad(again...USDT) or play with his brother.

To all of the latest coments...If you saw Mario play in person, you would get it. Everyone on this board would've loved Toni as well if he wore a green sweater. don't kid yourself. (last part directed at Leafsguy) :lol:

I would pass on Toni sorry

Now if this was the real Tony Hrkac I would actualy consider your comment but you probably aren't and we were better off without Toni.

Clearly by "those guys" he meant guys from Minnesota who want to improve their game by working harder at hockey than they ever have in their lives, get some hardware in the WCHA, end their season in the NCAA tourney and have a career in the NHL. I guess we can be happy to get more of "those guys". The rest of the kids from Minnesota, they can wear the yellow and brown. :D

Fighting Sioux rejects? :silly:

In an odd twist,

Jordan Schroeder's younger bro, Zach, committed to RPI according to Heisenberg.

That is assuming that Zach Schroeder of St. Thomas, MN is Jordan's brother.... If not, I'll delete this post.

They are brothers.

And FYI... St. Thomas is not actually a city. He just attends St Thomas Academy. The Schroeders live in Prior Lake. :D

In an odd twist,

Jordan Schroeder's younger bro, Zach, committed to RPI according to Heisenberg.

That is assuming that Zach Schroeder of St. Thomas, MN is Jordan's brother.... If not, I'll delete this post.

Looks like he and the family wanted as far away from the WCHA as possible. Did the Gophers ruin it for the family?

Looks like he and the family wanted as far away from the WCHA as possible. Did the Gophers ruin it for the family?

I dunno.

There are times when I wonder why any top player would want to play in the WCHA with the quality of the front office and the officiating being as poor as it is.

A place like RPI actually makes sense to an extent for a guy like Zach. If he's 3/4 the player his brother was, he will light it up there. This could potentially raise draft stock if he knows he needs some help. Also, he ends up out East where a lot of scouts are. If he goes to the WCHA, he's going to be limited based on the toughness of the league and the way the game is played in this region.

Or, maybe he just doesn't have the skill level necessary to garner offers from bigger schools...not enough to persuade him to stay out west anyways.

Just thinking out loud...

A place like RPI actually makes sense to an extent for a guy like Zach. If he's 3/4 the player his brother was, he will light it up there. This could potentially raise draft stock if he knows he needs some help. Also, he ends up out East where a lot of scouts are. If he goes to the WCHA, he's going to be limited based on the toughness of the league and the way the game is played in this region.

Or, maybe he just doesn't have the skill level necessary to garner offers from bigger schools...not enough to persuade him to stay out west anyways.

Just thinking out loud...

Good points. I thought perhaps because the fans were so tough on Jordan when he left that they may not want to go through all that again.

Does anyone know if the Sioux are showing any interest in the kid from Devils Lake, Keaton Thompson?

My uncle (from DL) told me that Lucia has been up to see him play. Funny story that goes with that, but I don't know how much truth there is to it. Apparently, someone asked Lucia what he was doing there, since the kid isn't from Minnesota. Lucia replied, "he was born in Eden Prairie." .....lol

Does anyone know if the Sioux are showing any interest in the kid from Devils Lake, Keaton Thompson?

My uncle (from DL) told me that Lucia has been up to see him play. Funny story that goes with that, but I don't know how much truth there is to it. Apparently, someone asked Lucia what he was doing there, since the kid isn't from Minnesota. Lucia replied, "he was born in Eden Prairie." .....lol

Pretty sure a lot of people are looking at him. I think he was taken in the 8th round of the WHL draft, which is not common for a North Dakota product. I've heard from people that have said that Ryan Potulny and Jake Marto would play Division 1 hockey when they were in 8th and 9th grade that he is another one that has huge potential.

I went and watched Josh Archibald and Brainard play yesterday. They were playing New Richmond, WI so neither team was world class. Alot of offense largely due to poor D and goaltending, Brainard won 7-6. Archibald was hands down the best player on the ice. Good speed and stickhandling. Hard shot, but so-so accuracy. Never passed up an opportunity to make a hit, nothing cheap, but he didn't ever pull up either. He played both ends well and moved back to defense for the last minute of the game. Brainard was well coached, and played Sioux hockey. Lots of diving to stop shots and hard hitting. Archibald was listed at 5'10" which is small which was harder to notice against a small, weak, New Richmond team. He is plenty strong, but would have a harder time in the WCHA.

I was told there were a number of scouts including Hak at the Grand Rapids / Brainard team earlier in the year. In that game Brainard and Archibald really didn't play well and the game featured fights and an ejected coach. No word on any water bottles. Not sure if he has gotten an additional looks since then. My guess is that he will go USHL and may be a potential recruited walk / lower line or depth player on after a year of two of juniors. I would compare him to a less polished Brett Hextall in terms of size and style.

Here is an article discussing Archibald.

Brainards wins championship.

I went to the championship and watched Archibald again. He carried his team to a win against a far deeper team. Brainard played with 14 skaters. Archibald played all phases of the game and scored two brilliant goals one shorthanded where he skated by a defender like he was standing still and one blast from the point. He has a cannon of a shot, in the semi is look inaccurate, but in the finals it was much better. I don't think he left the ice much in the third period. If anything stood out it was how good of a skater he was. He also played very unselfish, sometimes maybe too much so. I am mor esold on him as a D1 player after seeing him the 2nd time.

• 2 weeks later...