SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I'd love to see Hudson lace em up for the Sioux (or whatever we become).

However.... to play devil's advocate:

Minnesota has all the cards in this one. Why?

Apple Valley is closer to UMN's campus than UND's campus. Hudson could go home weekly and see Cooper and Mallory if he wanted. It's not so easy in Grand Forks (but not impossible either).

His friends are going to UMN (Michaelson especially).

And even more: Fasching sounds like a personality that might be a step in the direction for the Gopher hockey program that we keep criticizing them over: A team first approach over the primadonna.

I'm not saying he should go to Minnesota, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did decide to go there. He'd have pretty good off the ice reasons to do so, imo.

Hudson and his family would be a perfect fit for North Dakota. Coming to Grand Forks isnt that far away especially when half your road games are within a couple hours of the cities. I just dont see why a top recruit would goto Minnesota right now when you dont know who will be coaching, what confrence you will be in or how competitive the team will be! This is going on their 4th year of being in the middle of the pack and fighting to get home ice. UND is the safer route to go right now. UND may have best goaltender in the country the next 2 years and the best freshmen in the country next year. The future at North Dakota looks as bright as the present.

I am going to say he will highly consider UND and would love him here but being that far away could be really hard on the kid. Only time will tell I guess. Any word when he plays on making a decision

His biggest decision right now isn't what college, but whether he is going stay at Apple Valley or go onto the US Development program in MI. Just spectulating, if he does go to the development program then going to UND wouldn't be a big change at all being close enough to the cities.

Fasching is not a D. Last night he was on a line with Michaelson and Justin Kloos (Lakeville South) and they were the best line on either team.

Lots of talent on the SE and SW teams. Molenaar is smooth, not at the Leddy level but very talented. I'm not sure if he'll spend a year in juniors before starting his college career. No surprise but Michaelson stands out; big and fast. Fasching has a big body compared to some of the other sophomores in the Elite league. Both Michaelson and Fasching will play for Apple Valley this season. I don't know if AV will be coming to the Stadstad tournament in again this year but if they do that would be a great time to check out a very good high school team. The Sioux are also looking at a third Apple Valley kid, Vince Pedrie (junior D).

Heard lots about fasching and michaelson last weekend. How did Smith and Pedrie do?

Good article on prospective recruit Josh Archibald (Jim's son). He mentions a possible visit to UND in the future.

Hope the coaching staff can get a committment out of him.

http://brainerddispatch.com/sports/2010-12-22/archibald-following-father%E2%80%99s-footsteps

This would be awesome, Archie 2.0...just saying...

His biggest decision right now isn't what college, but whether he is going stay at Apple Valley or go onto the US Development program in MI. Just spectulating, if he does go to the development program then going to UND wouldn't be a big change at all being close enough to the cities.

Agreed.

Notre Dame? Really?

UND and UMN make sense geographically. I guess Notre Dame is out there because, hey, it's Notre Dame.

My guess? He goes to MTU. :D Just kidding.

I wonder if UW tried to get his attention at all? Madison is only 276 miles from Apple Valley, making it 49 miles closer to Apple Valley (or thereabouts) than Grand Forks (276 miles as opposed to around 325).

South Bend is 409 miles from Apple Valley.

All told, he's looking at going from city driving (Minnesota) which means up to 30-45 minutes (somewhere around 20 miles on one of the U.S. most screwed up Highway systems) to 276 miles (Madison, WI) to 325-333 miles (Grand Forks, ND) to 409 miles (South Bend,IN). This means upwards of a 5+ hour drive.

My hunch says, circle the map and go no further than 3.5 hours out from Apple Valley, MN. If we're in that circle, we're in the mix. UW is out solely because he didn't mention it as a choice.

No way he heads to Notre Dame. No way.

where did you see you has narrowed his chooses?

Brad mentioned it a bit ago from a Pioneer Press article (that wasn't linked):

In other recruiting news, the Pioneer Press wrote a story saying that the top choices for Apple Valley forward Hudson Fasching are Minnesota, UND and Notre Dame. For those of you who want to watch Fasching play, he

How come many choose Notre Dame.? Religion maybe

Religion is one reason that many look at it. Quality of the school (education) is another big reason. The coach is another big reason. But it has an image and reputation built around the football program that has extended to the entire school. Even though the football team has been down for several years, kids want to go play at Notre Dame. Hockey has drawn some because of that.

Religion is one reason that many look at it. Quality of the school (education) is another big reason. The coach is another big reason. But it has an image and reputation built around the football program that has extended to the entire school. Even though the football team has been down for several years, kids want to go play at Notre Dame. Hockey has drawn some because of that.

Very true....I have never been a fan of them

It's funny how name recognition works in college. ND is a little like Duke in that respect. Other universities in the south have top tier academics, like Rice and Emory, but neither of them has nearly as much name recognition amoung average high schoolers (or their parents), at least in the upper midwest, partly because Rice and Emory have no association with a big-name D1 sport. As you say, name brand recognition spills over into hockey recruitment just as it does academic recruitment.

For kids who may be considering an ivy-type surrounding, I can see why ND might also attract. It has a midwesternized ivy feel, with its gothic architecture, but is not quite as intimidating academically. Practically no college campuses feel radical these days, but ND is so conservative I imagine some kids and their parents would prefer it over an ivy for that reason.

it would really be difficult, IMO, to come to UND for him. The expectations to live up to his father would be tough. that being said, i hope he comes to UND and breaks his dad's records. :lol:

The penalty records held by Archie 1.0 will likely not be broken...Instead of getting double and triple minors, they 5 minute and 10 minute majors, game DQs, suspensions, etc...still, would love to see him in the green and white...

Someone on this board, with more ambition than me, should start a "Mario" recruiting campaign for UND. Let's get a Lucia to commit for the ultimate middle finger. :lol:

We want him? :huh:

I shouldn't be so critical. However, I really respected players who took a different direction rather than one that could be conspired as being the easy path.

Best example? The Eaves kids. Instead of basically walking into a starting position with Wisconsin, Ben and Patrick Eaves not only didn't go to UW, they didn't even pretend to stay in the WCHA. They played (and played well) for BC.

I think Lucia should do the same. I'd recommend trying to get into a team like Notre Dame, Michigan State, BU, BC, or Miami if he could. Not that any of those schools (or him for that matter) are interested....

I think Lucia should do the same. I'd recommend trying to get into a team like Notre Dame, Michigan State, BU, BC, or Miami if he could. Not that any of those schools (or him for that matter) are interested....

Almost all of those schools are already interested in him. He's a top notch recruit, so they'd be nuts not to be.

Mario Lucia Wayzata 6'2'' 185 Junior F Schools Showing Interest: Boston College, Colorado College, Denver, Notre Dame, Michigan, Minnesota

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/117423-top-minnesota-high-school-prospects