SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

It sounds like Michaelson has or will be commiting to Minnesota according to GPL posters. No big surprise, but would have been nice to add him. Still really like the crop coming in the next few years with Grimaldi and Miller, who are cream of the crop recruits, then adding Rowe, Koules and Matteau. I really thought the Sioux had a good shot at him

I was starting to wonder about Michaelson when we kept getting forward recruits for 2012 but no mention of him.

Nice pickup for the Gophers. It was funny how some on GPL were saying that he hadn't progressed as much in recent years...maybe using that to make it sound ok should he have decided to wear green instead of maroon. ;)

But I bet those same posters are very excited to have him on board. :)

When Michaelson announced that he needed more time to make his decision I had a feeling he would end up at Minnesota. While I understand that you cant win them all, I wonder what factored into his decision.

The Gopher hockey program is in a state of disarray with Mariucci Arena half empty most nights and fans calling for Lucia and Hill to be fired. Not to mention a litany of other issues.

Also, if there is already concern about how Michaelson is progressing why would he choose a program that in recent years has been criticized for not developing players? With the state of the Gopher hockey program today it seems like a gamble on his part. But who knows? Maybe by the time he steps into the program things will have turned around completely and he will have a nice career.

With that said, I know that the Sioux have some good recruits coming in and Im anxious to see how this season and the next few seasons pan out.

Who knows why recruits make the decisions that they do. With these big city kids, much of the time their decision can come down to wanting to be in that environment. I know that there are a good amount of players from Minneapolis, Chicago, Boston, etc. that we have recruited in the past that would have never considered moving to Grand Forks, N.D. Also, I'm not sure if Michaelson is an academic, but the University of Minnesota is a pretty highly thought of institution, so maybe that played into it as well.

This makes sense to me... and the playing time bit too.

It's no joke that Minneapolis is a bigger hockey market than Grand Forks despite hockey being the only act in town (basically).

Why? More people live there and there are more venues to showcase the sport (not just UMN). The big city appeal is definitely no joke. My brother got it big time when he moved from Fargo, ND to Evanston, IL to start college. It turned into 8 years in Chicago area. He was then urged to apply for internship and residency at the Mayo Clinic but he refused outright because he didn't want to live in a "town as small as" Rochester, MN. He now lives in Seattle, WA.

And tell me: If you were an "elite talent" given the option of going to two "showcase" hockey schools, which of the two would you choose: One in a small town where, on top of it not being a big city like MSP, you have to compete for ice time? Or stay in MSP with a program that may be struggling, but it is still an elite program and get less competition for ice time?

This isn't UND vs. LSSU here, folks.

And I still maintain (kicking a dead horse) that the problem in Minneapolis isn't Lucia. It's Hill.

I have no official stats, this is just anecdotal but one would think there are just as many smaller city recruits who would hate to live in a bigger city like the Twin Cities Metro area. To them, Grand Forks would be a great place to play.

Also, there is the "dilution factor" of playing hockey at a place like the U of MN-Twin Cities. It is such a big area, the hockey program isn't the biggest thing in town. A place like UND and Grand Forks, hockey is front and center, something that is very attractive to many recruits.

I think these things even out due to the reasons above.

I have no official stats, this is just anecdotal but one would think there are just as many smaller city recruits who would hate to live in a bigger city like the Twin Cities Metro area. To them, Grand Forks would be a great place to play.

Also, there is the "dilution factor" of playing hockey at a place like the U of MN-Twin Cities. It is such a big area, the hockey program isn't the biggest thing in town. A place like UND and Grand Forks, hockey is front and center, something that is very attractive to many recruits.

There are many great parts to the UND program, and don't get me wrong if I had my choice I would play for UND. I was just trying to point out that players choose a program for different reasons. For some recruits, the big city plays a factor in it. With respect to Michaelson's situation, it's not like the talent pool for gopher recruits has went down, so when he comes in he will be there with a good crop of players, and who knows what the coaching situation will be in a few years. On another note, I do have to give a hats off to the coaching staff on the recruits that we have been getting lately. There was a time when this program was never really in the mix for many NTDP players, and to be able to start getting this players on a consistent basis I think is a real testament to the great job this coaching staff has done.

This makes sense to me... and the playing time bit too.

It's no joke that Minneapolis is a bigger hockey market than Grand Forks despite hockey being the only act in town (basically).

Why? More people live there and there are more venues to showcase the sport (not just UMN). The big city appeal is definitely no joke. My brother got it big time when he moved from Fargo, ND to Evanston, IL to start college. It turned into 8 years in Chicago area. He was then urged to apply for internship and residency at the Mayo Clinic but he refused outright because he didn't want to live in a "town as small as" Rochester, MN. He now lives in Seattle, WA.

And tell me: If you were an "elite talent" given the option of going to two "showcase" hockey schools, which of the two would you choose: One in a small town where, on top of it not being a big city like MSP, you have to compete for ice time? Or stay in MSP with a program that may be struggling, but it is still an elite program and get less competition for ice time?

This isn't UND vs. LSSU here, folks.

And I still maintain (kicking a dead horse) that the problem in Minneapolis isn't Lucia. It's Hill.

Those are good observations, but things have changed since UND got the northern Minn kids who were comfortable with the small town venue and UM got the Edina kids. These kids now have to do so much to attain that level of skill that they are dreaming of the next step up and taking the necessary sacrifices from the time they are12. They travel constantly when they are in their early teens, live away from home in midsize towns like Lincoln or Green Bay when they are 17 and graduate from high school without their childhood friends. Many of them will pick the college team that best suits their dream of playing at the next level. I think collged D1 hockey is a dream, but it is not the last or biggest one. It evolves into the next level soon after they discover they can make the college cut. Parise did not come to UND for the culture--he came to be NHL ready as soon as possible. Parises are rare, but others who are good enough to have choices between D1 programs want to be on an NHL roster some day and the right college program might make a difference in whether they get there at all. Enough of them know the stories of guys like Dustin Penner to think it can happen to them.

Ehh, maybe that's a crock.

As someone who currently lives on the VERY EDGE of the U of M campus... I am now 100% certain I would have hated going to college at the U of M. But I kind of knew that when I was in high school deciding on colleges. Everyone's different. My cousin ran track at the U and loved it, whereas my other cousin hated it and transferred to a smaller school after a semester. Though I'm from a small town of 5,000 people, so going to school in Grand Forks was "big city" enough for me. I think UND is more appealing to those from a similar background as mine. Small town to medium sized towns where they aren't overwhelmed by all the people and traffic. Big City kids like those down here in the 'burbs ... this is the norm. It's what they know. Some aren't up for a different environment, while others are. It's always interesting to see when recruits make committments what their background is and where they come from because we do seem to get a mix. Minnesota isn't like that. The majority of Minnesota recruits come from basically the same background ...

I went to both schools, IMHO UND has a better college experience, UMN has so much to offer. Academically both were good, but UMN offers some world class programs UND could not compete with. I have a BS from UND and 2 Masters fom UMN. However, I doubt most NHL prospects are really looking for academic rigor...

I am forever loyal to the Sioux just to be clear...

FWIW, Michaelson is listed at 6', 180 lbs ... as a 2012 recruit (and thus a fair amount of time to fill out), he's not a monster, but I would classify him as "smaller."

Nice to see a post from you Bird. Enjoy listening to you educate P.A. and the Goofer fan base with your level-headed hockey talk. Seriously, it's great to have someone with knowledge abut the college hockey on 1130am each week. PUFFY!!! (miss that guy) Gorg is a homer and so is Louie, all though it's hard to dislike him. he did in fact have UND as his first school of choice back in the day. :D

I just hope the BTHC doesn't F-up all the great rivalries that are in place now.

Not to be a negative person since I do live in a bubble of positivity :D but I get the impression Fasching will go Gopher as well. Maybe I'm wrong. That would be sweet. :lol:

Basically, my theory is: if they live down here in the Metro area, and the Gophers are in the running, they'll go there. So much brainwash down here. Cammarata's at Shattuck, so we may have a better shot at him. I also think we seem to be set okay at forward for a few years, so I still think we need to look for some D.

Cammarata is from Plymouth and is a goofer fan. That doesn't mean he can't go somewhere else, but he's just as predisposed as Fasching and Michaelson.

Cammarata is from Plymouth and is a goofer fan. That doesn't mean he can't go somewhere else, but he's just as predisposed as Fasching and Michaelson.

Yeah, I caught that bit yesterday.

Basically, they're all goofer fans. No big. I don't want people with a lack of common sense playing for my team anyways. :lol:

There are many great parts to the UND program, and don't get me wrong if I had my choice I would play for UND. I was just trying to point out that players choose a program for different reasons. For some recruits, the big city plays a factor in it. With respect to Michaelson's situation, it's not like the talent pool for gopher recruits has went down, so when he comes in he will be there with a good crop of players, and who knows what the coaching situation will be in a few years. On another note, I do have to give a hats off to the coaching staff on the recruits that we have been getting lately. There was a time when this program was never really in the mix for many NTDP players, and to be able to start getting this players on a consistent basis I think is a real testament to the great job this coaching staff has done.

I wasn't arguing that point, I'm saying it goes both ways. We get recruits because of the size of our city, and we lose recruits because of the size (or lack thereof) of our city.

Direct link to Michaelson's committment to the Gophers

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/67749?referrer_id=32770

Michaelson’s second choice was the University of North Dakota, but he’d been leaning heavily toward Minnesota throughout the process.

“When I was growing up, ever since I was 5, I wanted to be Gopher,” said Michaelson, who lists current NHLers Phil Kessel and Thomas Vanek as two of his favorite former Minnesota players.

Michaelson said the drive to the Minneapolis campus from his Apple Valley home is “no longer than 25 minutes” and that his family is particularly excited about his decision to stay close to home.

It sounds like we really didn't have much of a chance. I don't blame him for wanting to stay close to home and play with his friends.

Nice to see a post from you Bird. Enjoy listening to you educate P.A. and the Goofer fan base with your level-headed hockey talk. Seriously, it's great to have someone with knowledge abut the college hockey on 1130am each week. PUFFY!!! (miss that guy) Gorg is a homer and so is Louie, all though it's hard to dislike him. he did in fact have UND as his first school of choice back in the day. :D

I just hope the BTHC doesn't F-up all the great rivalries that are in place now.

I agree, Ryan Cardinal is a huge asset to college hockey when he is on KFAN. Here is how I see it:

-Ryan is the gopher fan I have a beer with and talk about college hockey in depth with at the Final Five

-PA and Gorg are the gopher fans who heckle us and say "F the SIOUX!" have been to 1 gopher game that year, and got free tickets to the Final Five from a buddy, they say UND has 23 year old Canadians, are hacks, we are hicks, and the Gophers are by far the superior program(even thought they aren't at the Final Five that year)