SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

• 2 weeks later...

2008 QMJHL draft set for Saturday in Sydney

Clarke is one of the biggest mysteries in this year's draft because there's so much uncertainty surrounding him. Everybody fears wasting a first-round pick on somebody who will never play in the league and that's the problem teams face with him.

He has already announced his intent to play junior A next season for Fargo of the United States Hockey League. He has also stated that he plans to follow the NCAA path, saying that he has given a verbal commitment to the University of North Dakota.

Some believe Clarke is just putting up a smokescreen and that he will play in the QMJHL. Is he looking to discourage teams from selecting him so that he can fall in the draft and end up with some team that he's already cut a secretive deal with?

There's different stories circulating about Clarke so it's tough to figure whether he's sincere about U.S. college hockey. One rumour is he's already worked out a secretive deal with some QMJHL club that's hoping he's still available come its turn to pick.

If he's taken in the first round, it's likely a sure sign this team already has an agreement with him. Watch out for the Quebec Remparts and Lewiston MAINEiacs.

A HUGE recruiting victory the Sioux can pull it off and he can qualify academically.

Morin's father says Jeremy has full-ride scholarship offers from 10 different U.S. colleges. Boston College, a school Maxwell has verbally committed to, and North Dakota are among the front-runners.

WOW! im excited already. he's supposed to be awesome. i hope he doesnt go to BC....what do they have to offer anyway? :D

thanks for the link.

A HUGE recruiting victory the Sioux can pull it off and he can qualify academically.

Morin's father says Jeremy has full-ride scholarship offers from 10 different U.S. colleges. Boston College, a school Maxwell has verbally committed to, and North Dakota are among the front-runners.

do you happen to know what this kid looks like?

I'd be very surprised if Morin ended up in the NCAA... but it could be a reality.

Chris from WCH Blog had it all but a foregone conclusion that Morin would go MJ. I doubt he was the only one to predict that. It is still a very likely scenario, but if UND does manage to keep Clarke from going and land Morin, it would be huge and fantastic.

I'd be very surprised if Morin ended up in the NCAA... but it could be a reality.

Chris from WCH Blog had it all but a foregone conclusion that Morin would go MJ. I doubt he was the only one to predict that. It is still a very likely scenario, but if UND does manage to keep Clarke from going and land Morin, it would be huge and fantastic.

i like reading chris' blog, but he has definitely been wrong. he had kristo going to the gophers. and he thought cichy would bolt to the Q. its different when he has sources, but if its going on assumptions, i would take what he says with a grain of salt.

It's mere speculation. Let's be serious. How does Chris know if Morin is going to MJ or not? Serioulsy, unless he is talking directly to the family or has a source that is close to the family of Morin? How does Chris know what this kid is thinking? It is mere speculation. Nothing wrong with that. Not always going to be right.

I just noticed in the QMJHL draft that the Lewiston Maineiacs took Mr. Clark as their 1st round pick and the draft's 6th pick overall. Anyone have an idea how this bodes for the Sioux? Obviously, if he chooses to go there we know what that means but, how anxious is he to move to Maine?

From what I was informed soon after Garret committed here, one of the reasons he committed so early was because he wanted to inform the QMJHL teams that he was 100% going to college. We can only hope he lives up to that reasoning. Also, like I mentioned above, just because he is at the tryout this weekend doesn't necessarily mean that he is going there.

I just noticed in the QMJHL draft that the Lewiston Maineiacs took Mr. Clark as their 1st round pick and the draft's 6th pick overall. Anyone have an idea how this bodes for the Sioux? Obviously, if he chooses to go there we know what that means but, how anxious is he to move to Maine?

It's a big gamble for a team to use that high of a pick on someone that might not show up. For me, I'm going to assume Clarke is g o n e.

It's a big gamble for a team to use that high of a pick on someone that might not show up. For me, I'm going to assume Clarke is g o n e.

Same.

I took Clarke's committment here as him telling the Q that "if you don't give me the deal I want by the team I want to play for, I'll go to the system I CAN choose where I play."

He chose UND. If Lewiston was the team Clarke wanted, then he will be gone. If it isn't, we will get him.

I now, though, am thinking Garrett is 75/25 Q bound.

My thought is that some of the kids are way too young to be making decisions on their "careers". Where they think they want to go, and what they think they want to do can change in a heartbeat.

What is the age that a kid can commit to a college, and what is it that actually COMMITS them to following through?

My thought is that some of the kids are way too young to be making decisions on their "careers". Where they think they want to go, and what they think they want to do can change in a heartbeat.

What is the age that a kid can commit to a college, and what is it that actually COMMITS them to following through?

this is disappointing with clarke. he did commit too early. they should probably make an ncaa rule about a minimum, but it goes both ways. i wish clarke would have gone to fargo, but i think blais' comment was right on.

It's a tough situation on a minimum age; if you cannot recruit a kid until he turns, say, 15 years old, then you could start losing kids to major juniors more often, especially the really high-end kids like Clarke. Other NCAA sports really don't have another good option for these kids out there looming.

Same.

I took Clarke's committment here as him telling the Q that "if you don't give me the deal I want by the team I want to play for, I'll go to the system I CAN choose where I play."

He chose UND.

Really? I have sources that indicate otherwise.

The Clarke situation is unfortunate, but you can't win them all. The Model Camp, which is held at Mariucci and Rider arena starts tommorow and runs through Saturday. This is one of the premier summer showcase tournaments and brings scouts from all over (including our coaches and I would imagine they will attend again this year). Here is the link for the rosters and the game schedule is below,

http://www.luciacamps.com/rosters.php

Monday, June 9, 2008 - Practice Day

8:30AM Teams 1-2 Mariucci Arena 2:30 Teams 1-2 Mariucci

8:30AM Teams 7-8 Ridder Arena 2:30 Teams 7-8 Ridder

10:30AM Teams 3-4 Mariucci Arena 4:30 Teams 3-4 Mariucci

10:30AM Teams 9-10 Ridder Arena 4:30 Teams 9-10 Ridder

12:30PM Teams 5-6 Mariucci Arena 6:30 Teams 5-6 Mariucci

12:30PM Teams 11-12 Ridder Arena 6:30 Teams 11-12 Ridder

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - Practice & Game Day

8:30AM Teams 10-12 Mariucci Arena

2:30 Teams 10-12 Mariucci Arena

8:30AM Teams 4-6 Ridder Arena