SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

^Yeah. I think it was Glen Sonmor with Nanne. Although I don't think they got in any big trouble. It would be a "booster" violation, same as if someone like me made phone calls or a visit to a prospective recruit.

Nanne is a blatant homer and needs to be quiet. I am sure that Lucia is going to be getting calls about this subject.

Didn't Louie and some other notable Gopher faithful make a fruitless effort to get Zach Parise to de-commit from UND and go to MN? I thought I remembered them getting in some trouble. They did the old end around of calling JP and setting up a tee time and then grilling the 17 year old ZPar while they were in Faribault or something of the sort. Technically it was within NCAA rules, as the notables are not on the U MN payroll, but it is still bush league.

It may be bush league, if you think a kid like Nick Mattson isn't hearing from other schools regulary, you are kidding yourself. If you think Hak doesn't do it too...I don't want to argue the morality of it. Don't hate the players, hate the game. I know Grant Scott(UM recruit from Penn.) was recruited up to signing day by East teams and it wasn't pretty.

Why all the talk about this all the sudden. Notive hakstol talked about it on his show too.

I would think the fact that kids are being recruited at such a young age now. Remember when you were 16 vs 18, big difference in what you were capable of and willing to do, to be what you wanted. I have always believed when a kid commits, leave them alone. If they call you after a commit, the kid needs to inform the committed team that they are looking elswhere before anything happens.

^Yeah. I think it was Glen Sonmor with Nanne. Although I don't think they got in any big trouble. It would be a "booster" violation, same as if someone like me made phone calls or a visit to a prospective recruit.

Correct...they did not get in trouble for this because they knew JP Parise personally so they used that as their excuse.

From what I have observed and experienced, Don Lucia is a class act and I don't think he would do such a thing as Nanne is suggesting. It's the unwritten rule amongst coaches to stop recruiting after a verbal, and I don't see it changing.

That may indeed be the case, but Don Lucia has been on record as saying it wouldn't bother him if it became commonplace to recruit kids after they verballed. Wonder why that is?

It may be bush league, if you think a kid like Nick Mattson isn't hearing from other schools regulary, you are kidding yourself. If you think Hak doesn't do it too...I don't want to argue the morality of it. Don't hate the players, hate the game. I know Grant Scott(UM recruit from Penn.) was recruited up to signing day by East teams and it wasn't pretty.

I guess the one to ask if Hakstol does it too, would be Aaron Ness then. Because if he were ever to do it, I would think Ness would be the one to approach, especially after all the press about Lucia not developing Okposo. Not saying he didn't develop him, just that the story was out there.

I guess the one to ask if Hakstol does it too, would be Aaron Ness then. Because if he were ever to do it, I would think Ness would be the one to approach, especially after all the press about Lucia not developing Okposo. Not saying he didn't develop him, just that the story was out there.

Okposo wasn't playing or working hard. He was pouting and he left, still haven't seen him on the Island......Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Maybe Ness has been contacted.....

Okposo wasn't playing or working hard. He was pouting and he left, still haven't seen him on the Island......Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Maybe Ness has been contacted.....

where have i heard that before? oh yeah...........jordan parise said that during the 06 west regional :D i knew ive heard that before :D

Parise = God No exceptions. I know he was in NJ during the 06 Regional...or was he? or she?

God will be in HD vs the Wild tonight.

:D

i guess you are right

i bet if they melted the ice he could still skate up and down without a problem :D

Our coaches don't take players just because of the name on the back of the jersey. If that were the case for example, we would have offered Jordy Christian or Jordy Murray, which we didn't. The coaches have the credentials in knowing if Dayne can play at the WCHA level. This is just pure assumption, but if they really wanted to bring him in I would think they would have him play a year or two in a better junior league (USHL, BCHL, AJHL) and have him come in 2009 or 2010.

Ok, I've heard enough. I will grant you that the USHL and the BCHL on the whole are better then the MJHL, but to characterize the AJHL as way superior is simply nonsense.

The AJHL suffers from the same problems that the MJHL suffers from, that is, a few teams tend to dominate the league year in and year out. The overall talent level is not as good as the BCHL or USHL, but.............. and this is a long but..........some of the better MJHL teams can certainly compete with teams in the other leagues and beat them.

I would rank the leagues as follows:

USHL-probably closer to low level Major Junior in Canada, i.e., Quebec CHL

BCHL-can probably beat anyone in the other canadian junior leagues most of the time but will suffer upsets, particularly when not playing in BC

AJHL - SJHL - MJHL- OPJHL-best teams in these leagues can beat anyone else pretty much any given year

That may indeed be the case, but Don Lucia has been on record as saying it wouldn't bother him if it became commonplace to recruit kids after they verballed. Wonder why that is?

Really I don't think the tDon wants to go there, because I could see some WCHA programs taking a few of his recruits from him.

Ok, I've heard enough. I will grant you that the USHL and the BCHL on the whole are better then the MJHL, but to characterize the AJHL as way superior is simply nonsense.

The AJHL suffers from the same problems that the MJHL suffers from, that is, a few teams tend to dominate the league year in and year out. The overall talent level is not as good as the BCHL or USHL, but.............. and this is a long but..........some of the better MJHL teams can certainly compete with teams in the other leagues and beat them.

I would rank the leagues as follows:

USHL-probably closer to low level Major Junior in Canada, i.e., Quebec CHL

BCHL-can probably beat anyone in the other canadian junior leagues most of the time but will suffer upsets, particularly when not playing in BC

AJHL - SJHL - MJHL- OPJHL-best teams in these leagues can beat anyone else pretty much any given year

The reason I included the AJHL in my statement is because we have a top ranked goaltender coming in here next year from that league. I obviously don't consider the AJHL on par with the USHL and BCHL, but I would give it a slight edge over the SJHL and MJHL.

The reason I included the AJHL in my statement is because we have a top ranked goaltender coming in here next year from that league. I obviously don't consider the AJHL on par with the USHL and BCHL, but I would give it a slight edge over the SJHL and MJHL.

I wouldn't, not based on the most recent talent pools. Manitoba has been on an upswing relative to the other Prairie Provinces for about a decade now and that trend will continue for a little longer. The Sioux are actually benefiting from that upswing directly in recruit's like Toews and Gregoire.

Wade Poplawski is an example of what the MJHL can produce and someone that may have been undervalued because he played in the MJHL. He is currently a rookie on the Colgate team playing first D-pair minutes, on the 1st powerplay unit and penalty kill. I know that he is one that the Sioux could have used even if you don't think that much of Colgate. He would have been a terrific PP quarterback with his exceptional vision and intelligence. He also would have stayed all four/five years of his college eligibility.