SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I think it was 12 players that went on to play DI hockey from that Jefferson team.

Thanks. Basically, my point about Oliver is that it's easy to write him off as the fifth or sixth best player on that team, but what if the team if chalk full of future stars? Oliver is behind only Landman in returning scorers for next season. Will people be eating their words if Roseau returns to state and Oliver is their leading scorer?

Joe Philippi earned himself a DI Scholarship tonight... Hey we need more goaltenders...

Even though these are the few high school games most fans watch, it's important to remember that it's just another game in the eyes of college coaches out of many, many games.

Don't be surprise that Dayne Belfour is the next UND goalie to come in for next year!

What do you base this on? Have you seen him play recently? I'm not saying it is not possible, particularly with his lineage, but the MJHL is not the strongest Junior A league. He was at the FM Jets tryout camp in 2006 and was not WCHA material at that time. Hopefully, he's a late bloomer like his father.

I could see them waiting another year to bring in Belfour, if he is indeed coming to the Sioux. Next year they could have Eidsness (fr), Walski (sr), and Snider (so).

The following year after Walski graduates, then they could have Eidsness (so), Snider (jr), and Belfour (fr).

That would also give Dayne another year to develop in the junior leagues.

That said, I have also heard that the coaches are thinking of bringing in another goalie this fall. But I just can't see it being Belfour...yet. I'm thinking it would just be someone to replace Snider at this time.

I could see them waiting another year to bring in Belfour, if he is indeed coming to the Sioux. Next year they could have Eidsness (fr), Walski (sr), and Snider (so).

The following year after Walski graduates, then they could have Eidsness (so), Snider (jr), and Belfour (fr).

That would also give Dayne another year to develop in the junior leagues.

That said, I have also heard that the coaches are thinking of bringing in another goalie this fall. But I just can't see it being Belfour...yet. I'm thinking it would just be someone to replace Snider at this time.

I saw the same show...his Winkler coaches thought he'd be playing for the Sioux when he was 20-21. They also said he needs to work on his lateral quickness.

I am thinking UND brings in another blue chipper light to back up Eidsness next years starter.

i highly doubt there is any blue chippers left to sign for 08 but goalies have to be the toughest position to recruit for coaches. also a recruit who is considered to be a blue chipper as you say wont come in knowing he will only play a few games. goalies like that will go to programs that let them have a great chance to split time or start most games right off the bat. its just how it is.

Also, I wouldn't write Walski off too soon. Hakstol has obviously been impressed with the amount of work he put into this year, enough to take a start away from Lammy. So, next year I could see them letting Walski and Eidsness battle out for top spot. I know that Hak and company have stated that they are looking to bring in another goalie, but with Walski's performance, maybe they have changed their mind. I would look for another goalie recruit in 09-10.

Also, I wouldn't write Walski off too soon. Hakstol has obviously been impressed with the amount of work he put into this year, enough to take a start away from Lammy. So, next year I could see them letting Walski and Eidsness battle out for top spot. I know that Hak and company have stated that they are looking to bring in another goalie, but with Walski's performance, maybe they have changed their mind. I would look for another goalie recruit in 09-10.

not wrtiting walski off at all and they could go that route as well next season. ive heard both ideas but lets be real about walski. he got 1 start vs bemidji in the end of a 50 plus game start streak for phil. aaron has been a hell of a team guy as a 3rd stringer most of his career which he knew he would be but he wont be starting next year on a nightly basis unless eidsness pulls a 07-08 frazee. its not a knock on aaron so save those comments as i have nothing but respect for aaron and what kind of a teammate he is but just stating the obvious on his spot on the team. it will be interesting to see which way they go. get another goalie for 08 or wait til 09.

My point wasn't to criticize, it just goes along with what else was posted. I am not sure UND would go out and look for a mediocre 08 goalie just for the sake of having another goalie. I realize that Walski as a starter is a long shot, but so is relying on two freshmen goalies to backstop the team. I will say that I think there are some under-rated goal tenders available for 08 or 09, but I couldn't say what Hak and Co. are thinking. As always I defer to the coaches wisdom as I am just an opinionated fan.

My point wasn't to criticize, it just goes along with what else was posted. I am not sure UND would go out and look for a mediocre 08 goalie just for the sake of having another goalie. I realize that Walski as a starter is a long shot, but so is relying on two freshmen goalies to backstop the team. I will say that I think there are some under-rated goal tenders available for 08 or 09, but I couldn't say what Hak and Co. are thinking. As always I defer to the coaches wisdom as I am just an opinionated fan.

i agree regarding the 08 goalie unless there is someone out there they really like of course which could be the case. good post

From what I understand, we will see more of Walski next year. This isn't to peg him as the starter or even half time, but he will definetly be playing more, maybe 1/4 or so.

good to hear as that comes with him busting his ass through the last few season!

Joe Gleason made minnesota all state second team

here are the all state selections from Brad

AP first team

F -- Zach Lehrke, Park Rapids

F -- Beau Hanowski, Little Falls

F -- Zach Budish, Edina (Minnesota recruit)

D -- Aaron Ness, Roseau (Minnesota recruit)

D -- Jake Gardiner, Minnetonka (Wisconsin recruit)

G -- Mike Lee, Roseau (St. Cloud State recruit)

Second team

F -- Jake Youso, International Falls (Minnesota recruit)

F -- Tyler Barnes, Burnsville (Wisconsin recruit)

F -- Ricky Litchfield, Mankato West

D -- Joe Gleason, Edina (UND recruit)

D -- Drew Olson, Brainerd (Minnesota-Duluth recruit)

G -- Joe Phillippi, Hill-Murray

Recruits Danny Mattson and Corey Fienhage are honorable mentions

gleason is gona be a hell of a player for the sioux and cant wait to see mattson down the road!! thanks for the info

and word on that goalie from hill murray or lehrke and college options?

if mattson stays for his senior year i say he wins mr hockey next year