SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Dont forget Murray Baron, Rick Zombo and Geoff Smith.

Speaking of Ballard, I wonder If Bochenski will light him up at this level too.  Remember the final 5 a couple years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In fairness Ballard's team won (one of the best games I'v ever seen)... BTW, I would have killed for Ballard to go Sioux after all he is from Sioux Country.

I'm glad he didn't come here....we expect a little more than 3 points and 198 penalty minutes from our defenseman.

He commited to UND and then the scouts shot him up 2 rounds? Smoking too much fertalizer up there man. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, the kicker:

TWO goals - 100 pm and a full roll of tp for every time Spirko steps on the ice. Yes, Harrington had quite a season last year. Say, isn't he the Gophs leading returning d-man?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what your saying is you're disappointed in Harrington's performance last year. Don't worry I'm sure he will step up, be a leader get a couple more goals and extra 98 minutes of penalties this year. :love:

In all fairness he was trying to increase his penalty minutes but the ref just wouldn't call the major for spearing Stafford. :angry: Oh well maybe this year. :(

I pretty much don't participate in the flame wars, but I've seen enough to give you some advice: Don't ask a question like the number of games played unless you're sure you're going to be right.

Just a quick check shows Craig Ludwig with 1,256 NHL games played, and James Patrick with 1,280 NHL games.  I can see how you missed them, though, since they aren't in Larson's ballpark for games played.

edit: gasp ... redwing beat me to it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you JK because I don't like the flaming either. In fact I think both programs are developing great NHL defensemen, albeit different styles, and I think NHL general managers and coaches would like to have their talent in either program.

I guess when fans from opposing teams come on and try to flame rather than make respectful posts with thoughtful points, I tend to get sucked in every now and again. See Sagard and Greyeagle for examples of thoughtful posts with sometimes opposing views. I guess I should follow my own advice and hit the ignore button.

Mike Ramsey would have been a better example for games played (1070) as a former Gopher defensemen but it doesn't matter since 5 O.T.'s research was poor from both sides of the equation as has been pointed out.

Rick's comments are always interesting and for the most part the idea that big skilled defensemen are a better fit for the UND program makes sense. However I am not sure I buy into the idea he puts forth that Finley's choice of UND moved his draft stock up from a 3rd round choice to a 1st round choice.

Reed Larson...Whats he doing now? I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that he is coaching one of the Elite HS teams this fall.

However I am not sure I buy into the idea he puts forth that Finley's choice of UND moved his draft stock up from a 3rd round choice to a 1st round choice. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, that's not an observation that originated here. I was just repeating what I was told by someone who's job is to evaluate talent for the NHL level. He said it's a well known fact that the Sioux take players like Commodore, Jones, Greene, Smaby, Lee & Finley and prepare them better for the NHL than any other college program in the country. He said there are several things that figure into the equation: (1) The REA and it's training facilities, (2) The Pro-like atmosphere surrounding the Sioux program, (3) Hakstol and Berry are recognized as the best at advancing the skills of these types of players.

I think we tend to look through our "green" glasses and "maroon" glasses too much. I don't think UND or UM programs magically turn players good NHL players. Hey, we both get the best young talent coming in, so getting them to the next level isn't much to brag about. Coaching does play some part, but it is very little IMO.

...UND hasn't had many OFFENSIVE defensemen.  We've always been a defensive defensemen type hockey team... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you on everything else you said, but UND has had PLENTY of offensive defensemen in the past. Curtis Murphy and Travis Roche were absolutely in the elite of offensive D-Man. Guys like Naumenko and Williamson had some outstanding seasons as well.

I've said it plenty of times. There are many ways to win hockey games. Like all good teams UND and the Gophers will play to their current strengths. Last year for UND it meant bruising defensemen decking anything that dared enter the attacking zone, for the Gophers often it meant playing keepaway from the oppositions forwards with smooth puck reversals behind their own net.

Not all that surprising. Forney has other priorities and he wasn't going to suit up until after the TRF Hockey season anyways.

When it gets closer, he'll get picked up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good for Forney. Great player. I am glad he is playing football this fall. There are too many talented athletes convinced by either some idiot or well meaning parent that they should stick to one sport. In Forney's case, he is a hockey player and that's his ticket but he is also a pretty good FB player. Too many other kids miss out on great opportunities to excel in additional sports. It happens to BB players too. I hope Forney commits to UND. His FB coach said two weeks ago it is either UND or the Gophs.

Good post Iramurphy. Also note that Forney is one of the top tennis players in the state.

Hopefully Forney will realize that Lucia likes his players to skip there senior year and go juniors. This is why he didn't get Matt Niskanen (who wanted to be a Gopher) and you can look at Lucia's son left early to play juniors.

But I am sure Lucia is filling Forney full of lies because that is why he is such a great recruiter, he tells these kids what they want to hear and makes promises he doesn't keep, unless your the leading scorer.

But I am sure Lucia is filling Forney full of lies because that is why he is such a great recruiter, he tells these kids what they want to hear and makes promises he doesn't keep, unless your the leading scorer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lucia is a great recruiter, an outstanding coach, and unquestionably one of the toughest competitors the Sioux have ever had. The rivalry is what it is because both schools have outstanding programs.

The Fighting Sioux program can stand on its own merits. UND won't gain anything by making ridiculous statements about Minnesota or their coach--and we don't need to. UND's program is all about class. Our fans should be all about class too.

Forney should and will make the choice that is best for him. I hope it is UND, but the program will remain what it is (great!) with or without him.

This is why he didn't get Matt Niskanen (who wanted to be a Gopher)..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this is true, I'm not surprised. The WCHA is littered with Minnesota kids who once dreamed of being a Gopher. That's the inherent advantage of the Universityof Minnesota.

I'm more impressed with how players feel about their school/program after they've finished their college career. The loyalty and pride of former Sioux players is absolutely unsurpassed.

Another couple of kids the Sioux should look at is Colin Wilson and Justin Guttek out of Winnipeg.

I note that Colin Wilson is now the leading scorer for the US Under 17 NTDP after 10 games. He may be looking for a place to play that is close to home in a couple of years and I can't think of a better place than Grand Forks which is only a couple of hours away.

Guttek is a great skating defencemen who is currently attending Prep School at Salisbury High School. He is probably going to go college at some point. Again, the Sioux would have some advantages over other colleges based on proximity.

Another couple of kids the Sioux should look at is Colin Wilson and Justin Guttek out of Winnipeg. 

I note that Colin Wilson is now the leading scorer for the US Under 17 NTDP after 10 games.  He may be looking for a place to play that is close to home in a couple of years and I can't think of a better place than Grand Forks which is only a couple of hours away.

Guttek is a great skating defencemen who is currently attending Prep School at Salisbury High School.  He is probably going to go college at some point.  Again, the Sioux would have some advantages over other colleges based on proximity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can people from Canada play for the NDTP? I thought it was a training ground for developing U.S. talent for international play. Do these players have dual citizenship?

Can people from Canada play for the NDTP? I thought it was a training ground for developing U.S. talent for international play. Do these players have dual citizenship?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Colin was born in the States. His dad is Carey Wilson who played in the NHL for a number of years. Colin grew up in Winnipeg.

Lucia is a great recruiter, an outstanding coach, and unquestionably one of the toughest competitors the Sioux have ever had. The rivalry is what it is because both schools have outstanding programs.

The Fighting Sioux program can stand on its own merits. UND won't gain anything by making ridiculous statements about Minnesota or their coach--and we don't need to. UND's program is all about class. Our fans should be all about class too.

Agreed.

Agreed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Kermit, I tried to quote you and I don't know how to fix it. :love: I didn't mean to Beaverson your post. :angry: