SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

19 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Head scratching... Again, Rocco Grimaldi was not a blue-chip because he was taken 33rd overall? There's more at work than just a draft position. Kieffer bellows went first round at bu and had very little impact.

According to your definition of blue Chip the six to eight players eligible in the first round, typically UND gets at least one. That being said, many years there are even less than that available. Case in point, Roccos draft season only one player play college hockey out of that first round. Thus the definition is flawed.

Just call them what you want. :)

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

So in your mind Joe Finley was blue chip and Tony Hrkac and Greg Johnson were not?

Not all blue chip recruits pan out.  I wasn't monitoring recruiting in the Hrkac and Johnson days, but the best college recruits today are likely first round picks. Not many of those on the 80s. 

Let me dumb it down.

Blue Chippers are "A" rated players. Not all first rounders are "A" rated, but no second rounders are "A" rated.

That isn't to say "B" and "C" rated players can't have successful college and pro careers.

(And "A" rated players aren't a guarantee either.)

On 5/25/2018 at 3:28 PM, petey23 said:

yeah with some guys named Boeser and Carpenter(undrafted)...all had 1 more goal than some guy named Kyle Connor(not sure what happened to him):D

How many points did Connor have?

Hill-Murray 04 Nick Pierre committed to Wisconsin last night. After getting called up as a 8th grader to the varsity late last season he scored 8 goals and had 3 assists in his first 8 games. He added 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 playoff games.

On 6/6/2018 at 8:08 AM, AJS said:

UND got their first '02 recruit May 24th of last year and had 3 from the '02 birth year by the end of July.

My guess is you'll see a couple of '03 recruits over the next couple months.

I know it's become the trend to get recruits committed early. I'm hoping we kind of pull back on that a little bit and wait for players to develop a little bit more before giving out offers. 

Back to the whole blue-chip argument, the staff could have a spot available for those late developing prospects or decommits that are blue chip players (regardless of how you define blue-chip hint hint). 

That being said, as you can see from the 8th grade commitment, players are committing earlier and earlier. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:59 PM, Irish said:

First Rounders, second rounders, third rounders - either way as long as we don't return to the "we need more grinders" philosophy that gave us our Junior class.  

Spot on. Top programs go after the best and go hard. A great staff considers recruiting as competitive as the games. 

44 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Not sure if it was already shared, but Cole Sillinger signed with Medicine Hat a little while ago. At least it means Bemidji won't get him...

I'm down with that.  I had to endure years of preaching how great the triplets were gonna be

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/high-school-sports/2018/06/10/former-cathedral-high-school-hockey-goalie-keegan-karki-top-3-rounds-nhl-draft/682646002

Former recruit Keegan Karki is highly regarded at the draft.

Also he was interviewed on the pipeline show today. He signed a non disclosure agreement to not discuss why he left the USNDP. Explained situation with a hit and run later too.  Also explained the UND mutual decommit. 

Plans to go back to USHL and to the college route, just depends on who drafts him.

• 2 weeks later...

Maple Grove JR goaltender Ethan Haider committed to Clarkson today. I know there was plenty of interest from UND but not sure if there was an offer yet. I really would've liked to land him been a big fan of him since I saw him as a freshman and he reminded me a lot of Jake Oettinger when he was at Lakeville North.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, tho0505 said:

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/high-school-sports/2018/06/10/former-cathedral-high-school-hockey-goalie-keegan-karki-top-3-rounds-nhl-draft/682646002

Former recruit Keegan Karki is highly regarded at the draft.

Also he was interviewed on the pipeline show today. He signed a non disclosure agreement to not discuss why he left the USNDP. Explained situation with a hit and run later too.  Also explained the UND mutual decommit. 

Plans to go back to USHL and to the college route, just depends on who drafts him.

Annnnnd then he didn't get drafted lol. I feel bad for the kid, although it sounds like he's done it to himself.

3 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Maple Grove JR goaltender Ethan Haider committed to Clarkson today. I know there was plenty of interest from UND but not sure if there was an offer yet. I really would've liked to land him been a big fan of him since I saw him as a freshman and he reminded me a lot of Jake Oettinger when he was at Lakeville North.

I’ve seen him play too, very very good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits