SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Not interested in Wahlstrom. 

IF he plays in college and that is a massive IF at this point.... he would play at max one year.

I'm in the camp of thinking that if a player is going to go the college route it is best to be on at least a 2 year plan. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

IF he plays in college and that is a massive IF at this point.... he would play at max one year.

I'm in the camp of thinking that if a player is going to go the college route it is best to be on at least a 2 year plan. 

Not interested?  This kid is going to go in the top ten this summer.  Sure, I was interested but there was no chance we’d get him.  But for discussions sake, why wouldn’t anyone want a kid with his talent?  Regardless of when he would leave.  As long as the player and coach are on the same page as far as when said player is leaving who cares , I’d take wahlstrom for the year and try and push another recruit back a year.  The kid’s elite.  Now if he’s a terrible locker room guy that’s entirely different.

17 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Another blue chippa bites the dust

I assume this is tongue and cheek...

We already have two "blue chippers" signed for 2018 on defense coming in... On forward we have Hain that will be a late round draft pick and Weatherby is one of the top players in the BCHL... Other depth players on forward, who'll be 4 year players. In team building, you need top end players plus four year guys.. Every year we're in the top 5 to 7 in recruiting according to numerous sources.

Walstrom isn't a miss, he was committed else where years earlier. 

9 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

I assume this is tongue and cheek...

We already have two "blue chippers" signed for 2018 on defense coming in... On forward we have Hain that will be a late round draft pick and Weatherby is one of the top players in the BCHL... Other depth players on forward, who'll be 4 year players. In team building, you need top end players plus four year guys.. Every year we're in the top 5 to 7 in recruiting according to numerous sources.

Walstrom isn't a miss, he was committed else where years earlier. 

We have two fringe blue chippers. Blue chips are first rounders.  But I am excited to see what they can do next year.

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

We have one Blue Chipper in recent history leave after 1 - Jost.  Boesser was one of the engines that drove the train to number 9.  Not sure why this board has turned against getting Blue Chippers unless it is just sour grapes.  High end studs need to be in our mix.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Irish said:

We have one Blue Chipper in recent history leave after 1 - Jost.  Boesser was one of the engines that drove the train to number 9.  Not sure why this board has turned against getting Blue Chippers unless it is just sour grapes.  High end studs need to be in our mix.  

I also think that Bast and Mismash could be elite players in this league. They were decent players last year. I’d consider them high end. Kawaguchi  started to  make an impact at the end of the season. I don’t think UND is a bunch of talentless hacks. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I also think that Bast and Mismash could be elite players in this league. They were decent players last year. I’d consider them high end. Setiguchi started to  make an impact at the end of the season. I don’t think UND is a bunch of talentless hacks. 

Setiguchi? Is he related to Kawasaki or Hitachi?

Try again there Goon.

41 minutes ago, Goon said:

I also think that Bast and Mismash could be elite players in this league. They were decent players last year. I’d consider them high end. Kawaguchi  started to  make an impact at the end of the season. I don’t think UND is a bunch of talentless hacks. 

I never said or implied that we were a bunch of talentless hacks.  I just stated that in my opinion we need some bona fide blue chippers in our mix.  We are the team of Oshie, Parise, Boesser, Toews, Schmaltz, etc.  We have had numerous first rounders here (5 at one time, I believe).  No reason we shouldn't continue to recruit them heavily.  I like a lot of our talent coming in, but one true Blue Chipper could be the difference in a championship much like Boesser was.  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Irish said:

I never said or implied that we were a bunch of talentless hacks.  I just stated that in my opinion we need some bona fide blue chippers in our mix.  We are the team of Oshie, Parise, Boesser, Toews, Schmaltz, etc.  We have had numerous first rounders here (5 at one time, I believe).  No reason we shouldn't continue to recruit them heavily.  I like a lot of our talent coming in, but one true Blue Chipper could be the difference in a championship much like Boesser was.  

Yes, we could use blue chippers, but if they are going to be here for only a short time, they have to be all in or else I would rather have someone else that is.  Don’t need any Kieffer Bellows types that are there to pad stats before they move on.  Not sure of Wahlstrom’s motivations, but how will guys that might not be all in react to adversity or put their body on the line.  I remember Hakstol having sit downs with guys who had opportunity to move on that announced they were staying to make sure their minds were focused on the right priorities.  That is a huge part of it.  Guys like Jost gave their all in every situation for the benefit of the team.  Find guys like that and I don’t mind leaving after a year or two.

It's a crapshoot getting top talent as recruiting gets younger. Costello was a potential blue chip when he committed and he might not get drafted. Hain was as well. Top picks in the USHL means the talent is there. Mattson comes to mind too, he didn't even make it here.

Boeser-gift from the Badgers

Schmaltz- legacy

Jost-a good pull

Oshie and Toews wanted to play close to home, so did Lee 

12 hours ago, Goon said:

Agreed, but I’m not sure the OP said that. Those boys are pretty talented.  At the very least mismash may turn into a very nice bottom nine NHL player, not sure he’ll be a first line type of player but who knows, he’s still super young.

i think when certain posters bring up the fact that we’ve lacked the number of first rounders (compared to early to mid 2000s), other posters seem to think they’re  saying there is no talent.  Not true, you can’t get into UNDs hockey program without being talented.  What I’ve noticed more the past few years is that some kids simply can’t play at UND due to the pressure to perform.  Jumping up levels always hits players differently.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It's a crapshoot getting top talent as recruiting gets younger. Costello was a potential blue chip when he committed and he might not get drafted. Hain was as well. Top picks in the USHL means the talent is there. Mattson comes to mind too, he didn't even make it here.

Boeser-gift from the Badgers

Schmaltz- legacy

Jost-a good pull

Oshie and Toews wanted to play close to home, so did Lee 

Nelson, forbort, Finley, etc.  Beyond the blue chips, we used to get many more drafted players.  Guys like Kristo, Knight, etc, etc.  2-5th rounders.  

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, but I’m not sure the OP said that. Those boys are pretty talented.  At the very least mismash may turn into a very nice bottom nine NHL player, not sure he’ll be a first line type of player but who knows, he’s still super young.

i think when certain posters bring up the fact that we’ve lacked the number of first rounders (compared to early to mid 2000s), other posters seem to think they’re  saying there is no talent.  Not true, you can’t get into UNDs hockey program without being talented.  What I’ve noticed more the past few years is that some kids simply can’t play at UND due to the pressure to perform.  Jumping up levels always hits players differently.

The talentless hack comment was me. I might have embellished that a bit. Sorry. :) I think there's too much of a focus put on 1st round draft choices. There's only what 31 of those, and not all of them are going to play college. Second, UND has to compete with other schools for said, first-round draft choices. BU loaded up on first-round draft choices and it really didn't help them all that much. Four years ago they had Jack Eichel they finished second. The part that makes a team in my humble opinion are the players that develop into first-line players. Tucker Poolman, Paul LaDue, Drake Caggiula. 

14 minutes ago, Goon said:

The talentless hack comment was me. I might have embellished that a bit. Sorry. :) I think there's too much of a focus put on 1st round draft choices. There's only what 31 of those, and not all of them are going to play college. Second, UND has to compete with other schools for said, first-round draft choices. BU loaded up on first-round draft choices and it really didn't help them all that much. Four years ago they had Jack Eichel they finished second. The part that makes a team in my humble opinion are the players that develop into first-line players. Tucker Poolman, Paul LaDue, Drake Caggiula. 

I think most of us agree with you, Goon, but I don't think they win in '16 without the 1st rounders. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

We have two fringe blue chippers. Blue chips are first rounders.  But I am excited to see what they can do next year.

I would disagree with your blue Chip comment. Any player going in the first two rounds are top end players. 5/4 star players. A good site is neutral zone they have professional Scouts that rate players. Most of the guys that we have coming in are easily four stars. 

When fanbases look at team building and scouting you need to look at College eligible players only. In the first round probably 70% of the first round isn't even College eligible! Thus, this notion that a player needs to be a first-rounder and everyone else bug spit, it's just flawed.

Players like second rounders like Mismash, Grimaldi, Kristo. They were all top end College eligible players with offers from all the major programs. Therefore Blue Chip players. Absolutely, we want our players to be drafted high but that's not the only thing that they should be measured on.

Weatherby's a great example. Has a bunch of offers got injured and now is exploding into an amazing player. He's been passed in the draft in previous years. 

Of the 10 projected college players to go in the first two rounds, we have two. Two are already in college (Hughes and Tkch).

9 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The strength of that team was the d-core, no matter what anyone else says. Not the first rounders. 

Agreed that we had a spectacular D corp.  However, we needed the strength up front also.  Watch the title game and see the Caggula, Schmaltz, and Boesser clinic.  Not only were they high end talent, but they were tenacious off the puck and worked their butts off.  After last year, most fans are concerned that A - we make the tournament this year and B - we don't add a third straight year of no Frozen Four appearances.  And what do us non-insiders have to talk about in the off season - recruiting.  Remember, through the 16 Championship season we have had a great run of Blue Chippers.  Is this the only way to measure recruiting - of course not.  Have we been missing out on desired studs and losing them to other teams? - no one knows.  Has the recruiting philosophy changed?  No one knows.  Do we have the mix that the coaches are looking for?  Probably, but too soon to tell.  Is it getting harder and harder to predict who will up their game in College and who will fold?  Probably.  My point is that during the off season this is what we have to talk about.  After last season, especially up front, a reasonable conclusion is that we need to up our recruiting game.  Blue Chippers are not the end all, but sometimes are seen as an indication that our program is still on top.  We used to be seen as THE school to go to as a step towards the Pros.  And sometimes a slow drip of Studs signing with other teams provokes an over reaction.   Not every wish for some Blue Chippers is a condemnation of the players we have recruited.  

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits