SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Irish said:

Patience my butt - I am dying for some great news on the recruiting trail.  

Well, next years class is pretty much finished unless they need/add a depth guy.

We have top 3 ranked classes coming in for 2019 and 2020. 

• Upvote 1

Oliver Wahlstrom isn’t going to Harvard, per Schloss.  I would be hoping Bubs would be all over this.  Times are changing though, I could see him choose Michigan.  They are stacked with blue chips and there has been rumors that J. Hughes may go there.

tyler Weiss not going to BU. M Mcmahan noted he is interested in DU or another NCHC school.  Again, Bubs should be promising the world to these kids right about now.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:47 PM, petey23 said:

Well, next years class is pretty much finished unless they need/add a depth guy.

We have top 3 ranked classes coming in for 2019 and 2020. 

I've got my fingers crossed for that certain depth guy, but don't want to be the jinx, lol.

47 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Oliver Wahlstrom isn’t going to Harvard, per Schloss.  I would be hoping Bubs would be all over this.  Times are changing though, I could see him choose Michigan.  They are stacked with blue chips and there has been rumors that J. Hughes may go there.

tyler Weiss not going to BU. M Mcmahan noted he is interested in DU or another NCHC school.  Again, Bubs should be promising the world to these kids right about now.

I can see Wahlstrom going to Sweden next year.

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Barry needs to make a offer he can't refuse.

Yeah haha. Top line/top pp time...and all the free red pepper him and his family wants.

I would go hard after that Weiss kid.  If he’s interested in DU and “another NCHC team”.  I would sure hope it was us.

Weiss would be a great pick up, but I don’t think he’s any better than Hain and they play the same position. Wahlstrom on the other hand would be coming onto a team with only 1 right winger on the roster, who’s just a bottom 6 grinder (Bowen). I know the chances of getting him are slim to none, but the pitch is pretty sweet. We’ve got a very solid top LW and C, and Wahlstrom could be the elite RW the top line is missing. Door is wide open for him to get great exposure with a top tier hockey school

15 hours ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Weiss would be a great pick up, but I don’t think he’s any better than Hain and they play the same position. Wahlstrom on the other hand would be coming onto a team with only 1 right winger on the roster, who’s just a bottom 6 grinder (Bowen). I know the chances of getting him are slim to none, but the pitch is pretty sweet. We’ve got a very solid top LW and C, and Wahlstrom could be the elite RW the top line is missing. Door is wide open for him to get great exposure with a top tier hockey school

I’d take Weiss...along with hain.  The more skill the better.

youre off about Wahlstrom...it’s a none to none chance :)

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Luke Bast put up good numbers in the AJ for a junior in high school (late 2000 birthdate). Good numbers in their playoffs as well.  Not the greatest of leagues however I wouldn’t be shocked to see Berry extend an offer.

You are a very knowledgeable person and I appreciate your posts, but I think your impression about the strength of the AJHL it is not completely accurate. It may not be the USHL or the BCHL, but its a strong league, much better than the MJHL or the SJHL. UND has had many quality alumni from the AJHL, including Aaron Dell, Matt Frattin, Corban Knight, Gary Valk, Dixon Ward, Troy Murray, Perry Berezan, Rick Zapernick, etc. There have also been very recent good players from the AJHL, including Mason Raymond, Justin Fontaine and Dylan Olsen from UMD, Joe Colborne of Denver and Rene Borque, not to mention former greats like Dany Heatley, Mike Comrie, Mark Messier and the Sutter brothers. 

I have no problem with UND recruiting players from the AJ. It is probably underrated.

2 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

You are a very knowledgeable person and I appreciate your posts, but I think your impression about the strength of the AJHL it is not completely accurate. It may not be the USHL or the BCHL, but its a strong league, much better than the MJHL or the SJHL. UND has had many quality alumni from the AJHL, including Aaron Dell, Matt Frattin, Corban Knight, Gary Valk, Dixon Ward, Troy Murray, Perry Berezan, Rick Zapernick, etc. There have also been very recent good players from the AJHL, including Mason Raymond, Justin Fontaine and Dylan Olsen from UMD, Joe Colborne of Denver and Rene Borque, not to mention former greats like Dany Heatley, Mike Comrie, Mark Messier and the Sutter brothers. 

I have no problem with UND recruiting players from the AJ. It is probably underrated.

No, I’m not knocking the league, I just mean the depth of the league isn’t that of the USHL or BCHL.  Probably more on par with the NAHL (with a few more high enders). I mean, Cale Makar played in the AJ and he was the 4 pick last year.  I worry about recruiting overagers from those leagues just because they put up big numbers.  Many times younger high end players will play in those leagues prior to heading to the CHL, USHL, or BCHL because it is a hometown/local team.

i was being serious, I like what L Bast has done in that league, especially in the playoffs. Curious if he would head to the BC or USHL next year.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:55 AM, scpa0305 said:

I’d take Weiss...along with hain.  The more skill the better.

youre off about Wahlstrom...it’s a none to none chance :)

Agreed.... he was originally committed to Maine. I can't see him being more than a one and done with how highly ranked he is..

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Getting into Harvard is impressive from an academic point of view. It's better than losing someone to Denver or Minnesota.

Hopefully for the kid he is able to get in to Harvard and have that option...but I doubt he has been fully accepted at 16. They just lost Wahlstrom from the USNDT who was planning on attending next year. I believe it was due to admission policies.

47 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Hopefully for the kid he is able to get in to Harvard and have that option...but I doubt he has been fully accepted at 16. They just lost Wahlstrom from the USNDT who was planning on attending next year. I believe it was due to admission policies.

If he can't get in, it will give us another shot at him.