SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

When is Rizzo supposed to make his decision? Are people still high on this guy? IF we were to land him, would he be here next year, or in two years.

I think we’d take him. 38 points in 50 games in BCHL as a 16 year old. 7 points in 8 games so far in playoffs. He’ll turn 17 this summer 

On 3/22/2018 at 1:20 PM, Stack said:

Anyone know much about Filip Suchy from the USHL? He is currently uncommitted and is 3rd in scoring in the league . He is a 1997 birthyear. 30 goals and 29 assists in 44 games is pretty darn good! 5'8" 170 lbs.

I’m pretty sure he has no college eligibility. Played in a pro league in Czech Republic 

12 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

I’m pretty sure he has no college eligibility. Played in a pro league in Czech Republic 

Dang. I watched him play against the Fargo Force last night and he is exactly the kind of player UND needs and used to recruit: feisty, fast, and can score. Of course he did miss the net by about 5 feet one time on a shot :) 

11 hours ago, choyt3 said:

Most people would have put a stop to that relationship early on... if they loved their sister. ;-)

The rest of my siblings except my sister Kim (who was a UND cheerleader for Basketball) cheer for the Goofs. 

11 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Agree. Having followed recruiting closely for decades I know there are always blue chips that wash out (mostly because their head isn’t screwed on straight) but a constant is that teams with the highest ranked recruits win the games. Coaching staffs who recruit like their hair is on fire are the most successful. The adage, “It’s not the X’s and O’s, It’s the Jimmys and Joes”, will always be true. 

Totally agree - let's hope the coaches are on the trail and sell our program to some studs.

11 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Agree. Having followed recruiting closely for decades I know there are always blue chips that wash out (mostly because their head isn’t screwed on straight) but a constant is that teams with the highest ranked recruits win the games. Coaching staffs who recruit like their hair is on fire are the most successful. The adage, “It’s not the X’s and O’s, It’s the Jimmys and Joes”, will always be true. 

I couldn't disagree more.  What even is a high ranked recruit?  Does that mean a lot of NHL draft picks?  If so, there was a team stuffed with them at BU that's done, and there have been plenty of very successful teams recently, even national champs, that had few, if any.  Or does highly ranked mean they were included on a list on the internet somewhere?  Those lists are generally worth the paper they're printed on ...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jk said:

I couldn't disagree more.  What even is a high ranked recruit?  Does that mean a lot of NHL draft picks?  If so, there was a team stuffed with them at BU that's done, and there have been plenty of very successful teams recently, even national champs, that had few, if any.  Or does highly ranked mean they were included on a list on the internet somewhere?  Those lists are generally worth the paper they're printed on ...

We might just differ over semantics.  I think most would agree that we had a lack of firepower and puck skills up front.  This was certainly exposed when St. Cloud skated circles around us.  I don' care if we have a line of undrafted Caggulas  or if we have the Toews, Oshie, Boesser type who are high draft picks.  The point is that we need a serious infusion of skill and scoring and right soon.  The best way for us on the sidelines to judge talent is to look at draft position.  Do all high picks become college stars?  Of course not, but it probably is a safer bet they will than a group of undrafteds.  We have some recruiting advantages here - tradition, fans, arena, NFL alums.  We are also used to getting some studs to play here and not elsewhere - Time to regain some firepower.  We are not a program of all 3rd and 4th liners and will never get used to it.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Irish said:

We might just differ over semantics.  I think most would agree that we had a lack of firepower and puck skills up front.  This was certainly exposed when St. Cloud skated circles around us.  I don' care if we have a line of undrafted Caggulas  or if we have the Toews, Oshie, Boesser type who are high draft picks.  The point is that we need a serious infusion of skill and scoring and right soon.  The best way for us on the sidelines to judge talent is to look at draft position.  Do all high picks become college stars?  Of course not, but it probably is a safer bet they will than a group of undrafteds.  We have some recruiting advantages here - tradition, fans, arena, NFL alums.  We are also used to getting some studs to play here and not elsewhere - Time to regain some firepower.  We are not a program of all 3rd and 4th liners and will never get used to it.

To me,  practically every game going to overtime versus St. Cloud doesn't constitute skating circles around us.   Denver didn't either.  It remains to be seen with St. Cloud, but I would guess the field will even out again now that Denver has suffered some of the same losses we have had to deal with.  

14 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Bingo 

2 hours ago, jk said:

BU was one of the youngest teams in the country though.  It has to be a nice blend of draft picks that will stay 2-3 years and some 4 year players.  Even if they are blue chips...you have to get them to stay at least 2 years.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

BU was one of the youngest teams in the country though.  It has to be a nice blend of draft picks that will stay 2-3 years and some 4 year players.  Even if they are blue chips...you have to get them to stay at least 2 years.

Good luck competing on a consistent basis when you always are wondering how many are leaving.  That balancing act isn't as simple as you think it might be. 

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Good luck competing on a consistent basis when you always are wondering how many are leaving.  That balancing act isn't as simple as you think it might be. 

Huh?  We used to have those teams.  We’re losing some recruiting battles lately. We’ll be back.

isnt that what we’re doing already?  We simply haven’t had some recruits pan out to date.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Huh?  We used to have those teams.  We’re losing some recruiting battles lately. We’ll be back.

isnt that what we’re doing already?  We simply haven’t had some recruits pan out to date.

... and we are spoiled by our coaches having a nice mix, but if you lose 8 recruits in 2 years you have to expect the mix to be a little off.  

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

... and we are spoiled by our coaches having a nice mix, but if you lose 8 recruits in 2 years you have to expect the mix to be a little off.  

I understand that...that’s why more recruits have to come in.

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He means Gersich, Wolanin, Jost, Boeser, Schmaltz, et al. 

oh, I guess I didn't put them in the recruit category...    I was thinking  Seth Jones, Austin Matthews, JT Miller... 

I hope the are looking at Layne Young, his EP page show University of Saskatchewan.. seems to know how to put the puck in the net.