SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, tnt said:

There are a ton of kids that put up numbers in Minnesota High School  that do squat going forward.  Heck, there are a bunch of players in the USHL that put up big numbers and do nothing at the college level.  Numbers don't always translate to the next level.  

Agreed...but the number of kids putting up big numbers in the USHL and not doing anything in college is falling fast.  The ushl is such a tough league, almost too tough (I’m seeing more skilled forwards going to the BCHL).  We need to start picking up high end ushl players.  They may not be lights out year 1 but come years 3 and 4 they should be ok.

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

When DU keeps getting recruit after recruit, it is a problem. I never said "recruit them all". They are in our conference and losing recruiting battles to them will have real consequences.

So which players have we "lost" to Denver?

29 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah crazy, I’ve seen him play a few times. Amazing young player.

He is a good player and would be a nice addition. He is an 01 but is a sophomore. He is slated to join Denver in 2020-21 I believe. I am sure UND would have liked to have had him but all schools have recruiting boards going out 5 and 6 years and maybe his style is similar to someone already in the pipeline or maybe he had no interest in attending UND. In 20-21 we already have the #1 and #4 2002 born defensemen in the country coming in and the #4 2002 born forward coming in(if he accelerates his schooling).....Like I said before our 2018-19 class might look a little underwhelming but we are bringing in some older kids next year but our 2019-2020 and 2020-21 classes are as good or better than anyone in the country as it stands right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed...but the number of kids putting up big numbers in the USHL and not doing anything in college is falling fast.  The ushl is such a tough league, almost too tough (I’m seeing more skilled forwards going to the BCHL).  We need to start picking up high end ushl players.  They may not be lights out year 1 but come years 3 and 4 they should be ok.

We shall see with Adams, but everyone is ripping the coaches for not getting guys like Benson and Lizotte, but guys like Hoff and Janatuinen were much more productive in the USHL than Benson.  People seem to want to use criteria differently.  Before a recruit comes in, he is scrutinized if his numbers don't match up to that of recruits on other teams, then when any arbitrary player from another team puts up better numbers than one of our recruits when they are in college, they are wondering how the coaches messed up by not recruiting them.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Since we are already working on 2020-21 and 2021-22 who are the kids we should be after?

These are the top ranked kids that as far as I know are still uncommitted as far as Americans go.

Forwards

Stephen Halliday---probably going the CHL route

Matthew Beniers

Thomas Bordeleau

Patrick Schmiedlin

Johnny Waldron

Ty Tullio---probably going to the CHL route

Chase Yoder

Jimmy Doyle

Matthew Knies

Jacob Perreault

Riley Piercey--probably going the CHL route

D-Men

Scott Morrow

John Opilka

Spencer Evans

Avery Winslow

Gerard Keane

Goalies

Xavier Medina

Noah Grannan

Joseph Tynan

#4 Alexandria beat #1 Hermantown 6-1 in the semifinals and SR defenseman Jack Powell is having a heck of a state tournament. Hat trick today and has been excellent on both ends of the ice today and Wednesday against Thief River. Not sure where he will end up playing juniors but looks like a kid that has made a name for himself this week. Alexandria has some nice talent up front mostly JRs and Sophs good to see that part of Minnesota starting to produce better players and be more competitive.

4 hours ago, tnt said:

We shall see with Adams, but everyone is ripping the coaches for not getting guys like Benson and Lizotte, but guys like Hoff and Janatuinen were much more productive in the USHL than Benson.  People seem to want to use criteria differently.  Before a recruit comes in, he is scrutinized if his numbers don't match up to that of recruits on other teams, then when any arbitrary player from another team puts up better numbers than one of our recruits when they are in college, they are wondering how the coaches messed up by not recruiting them.  

Which lizotte are you referring too...because the frosh at scsu was a beauty and he looks like the real deal

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Benson and lizotte are through and through role players...but your right in Jose two cases.  Would have been nice role players.  For arguments sake, let’s focus on the skilled top 6 forwards...that’s who I’m referring to.

2 goals 1 assist and +4 for Garrett Worth tonight in #3 Duluth East's 4-2 win over #2 Edina. His coach Mike Randolph basically said in the postgame press conference no idea why nobody has took a chance on Worth yet. I'm starting to feel the same way he is a pure scorer but he has done a lot of little things pretty well the last couple nights.

4 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Not sure which thread this would fall under, but Matej Tomek is headed to Omaha. He's got 2 years of eligibility left 

Former Players ?

Wish the best for him..... he has shown some potential... goalie roads are long variable and unpredictDELLable.. so who knows.

I can see him being a thorn in our side for a couple years... Im good with Thome tho

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2018 at 5:11 PM, SiouxScore said:

Yeah former Holy Family goalie Jared Moe committed to Minnesota a while back and I know he was someone the UND staff was following as well. I think they plan to have him come in for 19/20 and Haider would probably be a guy that would come in for 20/21 or even 21/22 as he is still a high school Sophomore.

I'm from MG & have watched him play for a couple of years. Amazing goalie. He has put up serious numbers playing in front of some talented offensive MG teams, but not very good defensively. Think about what he could do with our D recruits coming in the next 2-3 years? Gophers, Duluth & St. Cloud are on him like Edina kids on cake. One of his former teammates from MG committed to the Gophers last year, hopefully a new coach coming in & uncertainty will steer him away from Minny & north to the Sioux. 

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits