SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Recruiting 13 year olds is very high risk-high reward. Personally, I think it is ridiculous. What's next, having kids commit when they are in squirts? :silly:

I'm not sure if it is as high risk anymore, as everyone seems to be recruiting them but not always following through if they don't develop, and the players don't seem too concerned about going back on a verbal commitment either.  Most of the time schools know early on if the player didn't pan out or decided to go to Major Junior, so they have time to replace them.  

Minnesota State Tournament gets started on Wednesday and as always there are some uncommitted players to watch. Some are players there has been quite a bit of buzz about and pretty likely to eventually be D1 guys while others are just leading scorers or guys who seem to have potential to break out.

Wednesday Class A
11:00 Mankato East vs. #2 Mahtomedi
East-6 Matthew Salzie F SO, 22 Layten Liffrig F FR. Mahtomedi-27 Charlie Batholomew F SR, 9 Nikolai Dulak F SO, 10 Kory Pilarski F JR, 4 Colin Hagstrom F SO.
1:00 Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato vs. #3 Orono
LDC-4 Brandt Pedersen F JR, 27 Paul Raisanen D JR, 18 Orrin Grangroth D SR. Orono-16 Jack Suchy F SR, 23 Thomas Walker F SR, 29 Lucas Jorgenson F SO, 15 Zack Simon SO.
6:00 Monticello vs. #1 Hermantown
Monticello-18 Troy Dahlheimer F JR, 29 Nick Foldesi F JR. Hermantown-18 Tyler Watkins F SR, 7 Jacob Herter F SR, 14 Darian Gotz D JR, 22 Elliott Peterson D JR.
8:00 #5 Thief River Falls vs. #4 Alexandria
TRF-16 Aaron Myers F SR, 2 Tucker Skime F SO, 6 Evan Bushy D SO. Alex-10 Jack Westlund F JR, 3 Caleb Strong F SO, 7 Ben Doherty F JR, 2 Andrew Revering D SO, 27 Jakob Stender F FR.
Thursday Class AA
11:00 Lakeville North vs. #2 Edina
LN-25 Shane Griffin F JR, 7 Blake Brandt F SR, 14 Spencer Schnieder F JR, 5 Ben Monson D FR. Edina-18 Mason Nevers F JR, 7 Liam Malmquist F JR, 11 Lewis Crosby F SR.
1:00 St. Michael-Albertville vs #3 Duluth East
STMA-11 Adam Flammang F SO, 9 Luc Laylin F SO. East-5 Garrett Worth F SR, 23 Ian Mageau F SR, 15 Ricky Lyle F JR, 28 Logan Anderson F SO, 37 Brendan Baker F JR.
6:00 Hill-Murray vs. #1 Minnetonka
Hill-27 Charlie Strobel F SO, 11 Nick Pierre F 8th, 15 Michael Fleischhaker F SR. Tonka-34 Teddy Lagerback F SO, 29 Jack Bayless F JR, 10 Joe Molenaar F SR, 2 Grant Docter D JR.
8:00 #5 Centennial vs. #4 St. Thomas Academy
Centennial-11 Lucas McGregor F SR, 14 Hayden Brickner F SR, 8 Carter Wagner F SR, 7 William Francis D JR. STA-14 Payton Matsui F SR, 21 Brendan McFadden F JR, 22 Luke Herzog F JR, 30 Atticus Kelly G SR.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ok I get garret worth plays with good line mates...but he leads the team in goals and points by a ton.  He also has a hatty and an assist in their first state game and they’re only in the second.  Sign this kid up.

Scared me though when Lou said he plays like Spehar. Guess he wasn't referring to the no d cherrypicker.

• Upvote 1

Just noticed that we only have 3 commits this year in Minnesota high school hockey which is absolutely crazy to me. Donovan with Duluth East and Frisch and Randklev with Moorhead. Seems like we have had a lot more than that most years and imo we should have a lot more than that. Ton of talent in Minnesota right now and it hopefully is the main recruiting focus for the staff and if not it needs to be. Watching Minnetonka right now and Brink(Denver) and Loheit(Duluth) look like a couple guys that would've looked real good at UND.

• Upvote 1

I’m as big a fan as anyone but I’m awfully worried about our upcoming recruiting classes. Let’s all be honest, next years team will be worse than this years with the recruits coming in. Likely meaning we’ll be on the bubble at best next year. It’s time to clean house on some recruits and current rostered players. We have not capitalized on new recruits with the 2016 National Championship like we should have. I was told directly by multiple scouts and prospects that Hak was a great recruiter because he was one of the few head coaches in the country that actually recruited instead of relying on his assistants. What has happened with Berry and Co?

5 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Let’s all be honest, next years team will be worse than this years with the recruits coming in. Likely meaning we’ll be on the bubble at best next year. It’s time to clean house on some recruits and current rostered players. 

Congratulations, you've managed to write off the 2018-19 season before 2017-18 is even over.

not-mad-amazed.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Congratulations, you've managed to write off the 2018-19 season before 2017-18 is even over.

not-mad-amazed.gif

It's hard to deny the recruiting isn't up to par though, in what should have been a golden time for us to recruit.  We'd best get back to championship mode or St. Cloud is going to drink our milkshake.

We should not be banking the entire next season on the incoming class. If we are going to bank on anything it should be on returning players taking a step forward. That is what should always happen.

Freshmen contribute at various degrees, are pretty inconsistent, and often take time to adjust. 

This year’s sophomore class as a whole has not taken a step forward, and that’s been a big part of the problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

We should not be banking the entire next season on the incoming class. If we are going to bank on anything it should be on returning players taking a step forward. That is what should always happen.

Freshmen contribute at various degrees, are pretty inconsistent, and often take time to adjust. 

This year’s sophomore class as a whole has not taken a step forward, and that’s been a big part of the problem.

And to put things into perspective, we do have two really nice dmen coming in and Weatherby/hain should add to the depth.  But you’re right, we need guys like hoff, JJ, etc to take that leap.

9 hours ago, Irish said:

It's hard to deny the recruiting isn't up to par though, in what should have been a golden time for us to recruit.  We'd best get back to championship mode or St. Cloud is going to drink our milkshake.

Meh I don't know, I'm old fashioned in that I like to see freshmen actually perform before writing off an entire season because WE DON'T HAVE BLUE CHIPPAAAZZZ!

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I agree that player improvement should be a big part of our success.  I am just stunned that we have a class that has shown so little.  I have seen no indication that anyone in the Sophomore class will take any step forward - many have seemed to regress this year.  I find it frustrating that so many things we thought were automatic like new high end talent coming every year, great player development, our grinders wearing the other team out, and finding some diamonds in the rough seem to be absent.  Berry needs to take a long, hard look at what is happening.  And does Shaw bring much to the table?  Certainly not for special teams.  Any recruiting contacts that are panning out?  I can't figure out what he contributes.

13 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Just noticed that we only have 3 commits this year in Minnesota high school hockey which is absolutely crazy to me. Donovan with Duluth East and Frisch and Randklev with Moorhead. Seems like we have had a lot more than that most years and imo we should have a lot more than that. Ton of talent in Minnesota right now and it hopefully is the main recruiting focus for the staff and if not it needs to be. Watching Minnetonka right now and Brink(Denver) and Loheit(Duluth) look like a couple guys that would've looked real good at UND.

Last night, My nephew Bobby Brink has two goals for Tonka, unfortunately, he's going to DU. 

43 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Meh I don't know, I'm old fashioned in that I like to see freshmen actually perform before writing off an entire season because WE DON'T HAVE BLUE CHIPPAAAZZZ!

I agree, some were saying Guch was a failure/bust after 20 games, he's really improved during the second half. 

11 hours ago, ChadR said:

I’m as big a fan as anyone but I’m awfully worried about our upcoming recruiting classes. Let’s all be honest, next years team will be worse than this years with the recruits coming in. Likely meaning we’ll be on the bubble at best next year. It’s time to clean house on some recruits and current rostered players. We have not capitalized on new recruits with the 2016 National Championship like we should have. I was told directly by multiple scouts and prospects that Hak was a great recruiter because he was one of the few head coaches in the country that actually recruited instead of relying on his assistants. What has happened with Berry and Co?

As is with most programs, it is all about how players develop.  St. Cloud made big improvements from one year to another based on players improving.  Guys like Bast, Kawaguchi, Adams, and Mismash will need to make a jump next year, but we have already seen some improvement from Kawaguchi.  We could potentially have our top 6 scorers back, but that probably won't happen.  We have competed well with the best teams in the country, it is the consistency problem that they need to address.  Besides the improvement needed, a lot of it will depend on who we lose and who other teams in the league lose.  As much as I like Simonson's compete level, I'm not sure we lose on offensive production from him or Trevor Olson.  Hopefully someone like Hain will come in and surprise us.  Just improving our penalty kill could put us back in contention when we are already competitive against the top teams.  

10 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Just saw your post now.  Spot on!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

We have 11 Minnesota kids on our roster currently. Recruiting classes are normally between 6 and 8 kids and if you look at a 4 year cycle having 3 Minnesota kids would seem to be pretty normal.

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is becoming a tired refrain. :angry:

I can say with great confidence that UND wasn't in the mix. Believe me, I had a conversation with my sister on this subject. 

11 hours ago, Irish said:

We'd best get back to championship mode or St. Cloud is going to drink our milkshake.

SCSU doesn't beat UND for recruits. They just don't.  You wanted Randklev, you got him. You go head to head with any SCSU prospect with a standing offer and you'll likely get him.

Your lunch is being eaten because  your coaches are BAD at identifying the best players early and getting to them before other teams do. Like Goon mentioned above, Denver coaches saw something before your coaches did and they acted on it. That's the key to good recruiting. Sadly, it's the same reason BC recruits so many 13 and 14 year olds.