SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Montpetit was a former UW recruit and Walters was a former UMN recruit.

Is this the Matt White that was a former UND recruit, or is that the other Matt White? I forget. :D

The "other" Matt White.

The UND recruit Matt White committed to Vermont IIRC.

GF native Alex Simonson commits to UNO:

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3330

That's a horrible ratio of points to penalty minutes. :D

Blais has accumulated a good group of recruits from the USHL...

Montpetit was a former UW recruit and Walters was a former UMN recruit.

Is this the Matt White that was a former UND recruit, or is that the other Matt White? I forget. :)

I am still scratching my head on this one. Any time I have seen him play he looks like a big wimp out there. Nothing about him seemed great he was decent but not great. Unless of course I am confusing him with one of his brothers.

Potential new UND recruit?

Jordan Schmaltz, a 2012 dman recruit for UW, announced that he is de-committing from Wisconsin and opening up his recruitment again.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010...-wisconsin.html

Looks like we were one of the schools that he visited prior to UW:

Before committing to Wisconsin, Schmaltz took an unofficial visit to North Dakota and was planning on visiting Notre Dame as well. In addition, Schmaltz has been drafted in the OHL Draft by the Windsor Spitfires in the 7th round. Windsor is an aggressive franchise with a lot of cash so I would expect them to make a push even though it seems like he still wants to play college hockey. But the favorite here still has to be Osiecki at Ohio State. He obviously THE reason why Schmaltz decommitted, it only makes sense that he would follow him to OSU now.

If OSU doesn't nab him, that would be a nice pickup for UND, as we don't have any Defense recruits lined up yet for 2012 (and only one lined up for 2011...Nick Mattson).

I am still scratching my head on this one. Any time I have seen him play he looks like a big wimp out there. Nothing about him seemed great he was decent but not great. Unless of course I am confusing him with one of his brothers.

He has a brother Johnny that played for Central this past season.

Potential new UND recruit?

Jordan Schmaltz, a 2012 dman recruit for UW, announced that he is de-committing from Wisconsin and opening up his recruitment again.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010...-wisconsin.html

Looks like we were one of the schools that he visited prior to UW:

If OSU doesn't nab him, that would be a nice pickup for UND, as we don't have any Defense recruits lined up yet for 2012 (and only one lined up for 2011...Nick Mattson).

I doubt he heads anywhere else but tOSU. It seems like all I read about him is that he committed to tOSU because of Osiecki.

He'll commit to tOSU as soon as Osiecki lets him know if a scholarship is available and when he will arrive on campus (2012 or 2013)

I doubt he heads anywhere else but tOSU. It seems like all I read about him is that he committed to tOSU because of Osiecki.

He'll commit to tOSU as soon as Osiecki lets him know if a scholarship is available and when he will arrive on campus (2012 or 2013)

His Dad was a great athlete at Bismarck St. Mary's and was an excellent wide receiver for Sioux FB. I think he had at least one uncle play FB for UND also.

I am hearing more from Sioux Alumni that ND staff is hot after a younger Shattuck player named Taylor Cammarate. Making him one of the youngest recruits they have ever gone after. He is 15 years old and nick named the Wizard. He is suppose to be a future super star.

I am hearing more from Sioux Alumni that ND staff is hot after a younger Shattuck player named Taylor Cammarate. Making him one of the youngest recruits they have ever gone after. He is 15 years old and nick named the Wizard. He is suppose to be a future super star.

Here are the stats for SSM:

http://www.ssmsports.org/hockey/teams/2009...am-tier-i-stats

He was a 9th grader last year (95 birth year), 5-8, 150lbs.

He had 170 pts, leading the team in scoring by almost 70 pts.

A search on WCH brings back these results on him:

Taylor Cammarata-Shattuck-St. Mary's-I've gone back and forth on him quite a bit. Not his best day here, which still meant two assists, and a number of great scoring chances, but he was neutralized a little more than I've seen in the past. He's still got great instincts, vision, and understanding of the offensive game, but he really has to improve his shooting and using his teammates more effectively rather than trying to stickhandle through everyone.

If you haven't heard of the Shattuck-St. Mary's duo of Taylor Cammarata and Nathan MacKinnon yet, you probably will quite a bit in the future. They each scored about a billion points this year for Shattuck and are considered top players in the world for their age group. I was a little less over-the-top about the two when I saw them play earlier this February. I questioned if Cammarata could stay a step ahead of the competition when the competition got bigger and faster, and said MacKinnon reminded me a bit of a 15-year-old Luke Moffatt(and 18-year-old Luke Moffatt has turned that into a backhanded compliment).

Seeing them play here definitely sold me though. Cammarata is more than just a flashy stickhandler. Watching the way he sees the ice and can anticipate plays developing in the offensive zone was just incredible. I can't think of too many players I've ever seen that can work like that. Getting another look at MacKinnon, he's very good in some areas that Moffatt never really developed; namely in his puck-handling ability, and the ability to use his teammates. Playing with players close to his skill level--and it isn't easy to find players like that--certainly helps in that area.

I'll be interested to see where these kids go. MacKinnon is Canadian and seems a lock to head to the QMJHL next year. The only saving grace might be that the last similar Shattuck prodigies to head to the Q--Garrett Clarke, Kelsey Tessier, and Angelo Esposito--all saw their hockey careers kind of fall apart. The pressure on this kid to head that route should be immense though, especially considering there was this other kid from MacKinnon's hometown that went from Shattuck to the Q and turned out pretty well.

Meanwhile, Shattuck St. Mary's forward Taylor Cammarata is a player that may be open to going to the WHL if he's selected by the right team. Cammarata is a little guy with some crazy stickhandling ability. He finished the year with 170 points in 58 games, while his next closest teammate had 101 points.

Here are the stats for SSM:

http://www.ssmsports.org/hockey/teams/2009...am-tier-i-stats

He was a 9th grader last year (95 birth year), 5-8, 150lbs.

He had 170 pts, leading the team in scoring by almost 70 pts.

A search on WCH brings back these results on him:

I realize MacKinnon's name is spelled "Mac" in the article, but is he any relation to Manitoba native Kevin McKinnon, who played for the Sioux in '89-'90?

Cammarate is a stud. I cant wait to see how he does in Rochester this week! Would love to see him in a Sioux uni some day.

Cammarate is a stud. I cant wait to see how he does in Rochester this week! Would love to see him in a Sioux uni some day.

Cammarate is a Great player but before you start waring your Wizard hats and waving your Wizard wands around GF, he will not be a easy player to get.

Unbelievable pick up by the UND staff. Just a major, major recruiting victory. From everything I read I thought he was going to be an Irish. Great job coaches.

Better to the Irish than his other school choice, DU.

Of course, better than both of those is UND. Score one for Hak and Co!