SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Zach and Matt Jones have a little bro, as well as LaPoint, but they are still pretty young and would be a few years down the road. Who knows if they even play hockey, but let's hope they become studs. Both families are pretty dedicated to UND.

I think both the Zajac brother and Bruneteau brother are defensemen. That may affect UND's interest seeing how full they are at that position for the next few years. I think Zajac may only have another year before he should take any scholarship offered, Bruneteau may have 2 or so before he has to get nervous.

Nolan is a 1992, so he turns 18 this year...however, we have a logjam at D right now and I believe that he probably needs a little more developing...I could see him being a recruit in two years or so.

The logjam at D will very quickly resolve itself and be wide open in a few years. After next year Genoway, Marto and LaPoint will be gone, Blood and Mac will be flight risks in the next few years, and who knows what the timetable will be for Forbort and Simpson. If they really stand out or their NHL teams want them badly, they could be short-timers.

The logjam at D will very quickly resolve itself and be wide open in a few years. After next year Genoway, Marto and LaPoint will be gone, Blood and Mac will be flight risks in the next few years, and who knows what the timetable will be for Forbort and Simpson. If they really stand out or their NHL teams want them badly, they could be short-timers.

That is why I said I could see him being a recruit for in two years or so. After Mattson, Forbort, and Simpson...we have no D recruits that we know of so he could easily be a recruit for 2011 or 2012.

What the heck is going on with Danny Mattson?

He was doing gang-busters in HS and he was rated around 50 before last years draft and he went undrafted. That was weird, what did every NHL club know that the ranking fellas didn't??

Then, this year he is not even on it??

Does anyone know if he has had some injury or did he just get fat? hehe

He was doing gang-busters in HS and he was rated around 50 before last years draft and he went undrafted. That was weird, what did every NHL club know that the ranking fellas didn't??

Dunno about this year itself, but around draft time last year, rumor had it Mattson was passed over due to his strength.

NHL scouts, so I read, were concerned with how easily he was taken off the puck among other things.

Anyone else hear this?

Dunno about this year itself, but around draft time last year, rumor had it Mattson was passed over due to his strength.

NHL scouts, so I read, were concerned with how easily he was taken off the puck among other things.

Anyone else hear this?

Still seems like there is more to this story. Check out these reports from back last year (I assume);

NHL Central Scouting

He has good puck handling ability and makes nice plays, but not the best two way game and not a very physical player. You can get away with that at the high school level, but it's a whole different game in the USHL.

He has good puck handling ability and makes nice plays, but not the best two way game and not a very physical player. You can get away with that at the high school level, but it's a whole different game in the USHL.

well the ushl is probably one of the best developmental leagues for working on two way play, so hopefully he is working on that, which may account for his decline in #s too. hopefully he is hitting the weight room to bulk up a little too, but i doubt a coach would make comments like that about a player if there was question about his dedication or heart, so here's to hoping he comes in and is an impact player for the sioux! go danny! btw, what is his age, is he slated for another year of jrs?

well the ushl is probably one of the best developmental leagues for working on two way play, so hopefully he is working on that, which may account for his decline in #s too. hopefully he is hitting the weight room to bulk up a little too, but i doubt a coach would make comments like that about a player if there was question about his dedication or heart, so here's to hoping he comes in and is an impact player for the sioux! go danny! btw, what is his age, is he slated for another year of jrs?

im going to guess and say nelson and rodwell come in to replace vv and zajac and the rest stay back.

Here's my guess as to who will be coming/going:

VV, Zajac, Fienhage leaving

Genoway staying

Forbort and maybe Simpson come in at D this fall.

Nelson and Rodwell come in at F this fall.

Then next year with Trupp, Malone, & Frattin graduating, plus probably Gregoire (Kristo?) leaving early, you bring in St. Clair, O'Donnell, Parks, and D Mattson.

On defense we would graduate LaPoint and Marto, plus probably Blood (MacWilliam?) leaving early. So N Mattson and Simpson (if he doesn't come this fall) come in.

Was that really the case?

The odds of Crosby ever playing for the Sioux were equal to the odds of him playing for any other college team. They were also equal to the odds of him spending a year in the International Space Station orbiting the Earth.

The odds of Crosby ever playing for the Sioux were equal to the odds of him playing for any other college team. They were also equal to the odds of him spending a year in the International Space Station orbiting the Earth.

Soooo, you're telling me there was a chance!

Are there any former or current sioux that have brothers coming up that und is looking at?

I met Ron Hextall in the mens room at a game last Nov. He said they were there watching Brett and his 16 year old son was touring/looking around. I don't know if it was for hockey or just to see what UND is about as a school. Maybe he wants to be a pilot.

Speaking of prospective recruits, I don't think it has been posted on here before but I know that we were showing interest in Gavin Tufte from Blaine. Not sure if he committed anywhere yet, but he could still be on our radar.

Tufte

So are any of these guys about 5'6" and 155 pounds (Joe Whitney like) or 5'8 and 165 pounds (Cam Atkinson like) and is extremely fast?

I think we need a few of those guys.

What surprised me the most is that all of them little guys just skated by the Badgers like they were skating in slush, Oh that's right they were...

last week i asked if any players had younger brothers, today i golfed with a close family friend of the simpsons. he mentioned dillon simpson has a younger brother. he has a son who plays with him in canada. think hes 15 or so. maybe someone to keep an eye on in a few years