SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I thought you were dead.

:angry: Welcome back Jason! How is your cousin doing in the NAHL?

Thanks. He is still recovering from wrist surgery. He just started skating about a month ago. Bozeman played him a little bit in the few games they've played. They fly to Alaska and play 4 games in 4 days in a couple of weeks, then fly to Minny for the NAHL showcase for 4 more games in 4 days. Hopefully he'll be ok to play in those games.

Did anyone else catch the Jets-NDSU scrimmage? I noticed Moreland was playing with the Jets again, I'm assuming he is not trying to walk on again? I still think Graalum could play D1 hockey, although this has to be his last chance, he must be 20 by now. The best player on the ice was actually from NDSU, I'm guessing he was Nick Krebsbach from Minot - I heard he transferred to NDSU from Wayne St (I think).

I was at the jets/bison game. Graalum could still play d1 some where he has the talent, but now he is playing defense and last year it was forward maybe it was just for the scrimmage I dont know. Moreland was out there and I dont know what his plans are now. Krebsbach did play well and is a very good player who did transfer from wayne state to ndsu I think he wanted to be closer to home or something.

Anybody have any new information on Forney.  From what I hear, the Gophers seem to be pushing for him pretty hard and I'm sure a few others too.  I thought I read on here somewhere that he was leaning towards North Dakota but I'm not sure and that was quite a while back.

I think that was quite a while ago and since then there's been more talk of MN being involved in the chase. Based on what I read on the internet there doesn't seem to be a clear frontrunner for his services yet.

On Forney: I heard from someone that knows him from TRF that Lucia was at his house before the under 18 tourny over seas. I would say we are way behind mn on Forney and wont get him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You dont know the facts, dont come out and say we are behind. Our coaches keep things quiet about recruits. You will see in the future.

You dont know the facts, dont come out and say we are behind. Our coaches keep things quiet about recruits. You will see in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing I have noticed reading other teams boards...is Sioux fans aren't "in the know". Other sites have people in the know (or think they are in the know) spouting off about who the coaces are after. I don't know if Hakstol and co. can keep their mouths shut, the fans "in the know" can keep their mouths shut.

I for one, like being suprised when all of the sudden we here about a kid from the BCHL or wherever. (Kozek, Watkins, Spirko).

I heard that Jeff Dubay and Mike Gentzel talk all the time. If you tell one big mouth like him, he can spread info faster than anyone. He is probably on the Goferboard too.

Our coaches keep quiet which is good. no one knew that they offered Mario a scholly and he is from Grand Forks (until it came out from Red Deer, the team trying to get him in the WHL). It keep things less complicated.

Minnesota acts like if they get a recruit it counts in the win column. Then when a player like Boechenski committed to UND they said they pulled there offer. They are all about showing off and bragging. I like our coaches low key approach.

by the way Forney will play hockey in TRF this winter, I heard they are saying he will goto Sioux Falls after the Football season.

I heard that Jeff Dubay and Mike Gentzel talk all the time.  If you tell one big mouth like him, he can spread info faster than anyone.  He is probably on the Goferboard too.

Our coaches keep quiet which is good.  no one knew that they offered Mario a scholly and he is from Grand Forks (until it came out from Red Deer, the team trying to get him in the WHL).  It keep things less complicated.

I guess I don't see what you feel is the major advantage for a coach keeping their mouth shut. Ultimately, it is the recruit that decides what school to attend and from what I have seen, many of them don't care who knows what schools are interested in them. So acting like it is any advantage to keep quiet is kind of a reach.

#1siouxfan22 seems to be a pretty decent source. So I guess I am not going to be too hard on him if he says something that we hope ends up inaccurate. You seem pretty defensive for somebody who is not exactly giving us any specific reasons to think #1siouxfan22 is wrong.

Back on some recruits, here's an article from the BCHL website with comments from the Vernon coach on Darcy Zajac and Chay Genoway:

Vernon-Salmon Arm story

"Darcy Zajac is a guy who gets confidence early if he scores but can fall asleep if he doesn't so we have to aware of that.

Viper rookie d-man Chay Genoway, a Manitoba product, will go on October flydowns to the University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux want him for the 2007-08 season) and Cornell (Big Red want him next year).

Back on some recruits, here's an article from the BCHL website with comments from the Vernon coach on Darcy Zajac and Chay Genoway:

Vernon-Salmon Arm story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Listening to Mac Talk on KNOX this morning, he had Mike Prpich and Travis Zajac.

When asked if his brother (Darcy) could play, Travis said, "He can, but he is a different type of player, He is a fighter and a dirty player." A pretty honest assessment from one brother about the other one.

Interesting that we are after Genoway for the 07-08 season. That could possibly be the year we lose one or two of our defenseman to the next level. I hope the Sioux brother ties keep him in Grand Forks rather than Cornell. I don't know a whole lot about him. Does anyone know what kind of player he is or has anyone seen him play while he was at Shattuck.

Message board chatter has Genoway as a very smooth skater. Sorry, can't help much beyond that.

2007-08 is after graduation of the Stafford class (or whatever's left of it). It's interesting because this is the second 2007 offer we've learned of (Genoway and Mario). There will probably also be some early departures that Summer, so I wouldn't mind getting a few names on the sheet.

Hmm ... Zajac says his brother is chippy, while sitting next to Prpich, who is a senior. Your Fighting Sioux agitator replacement?

I would like that, we need someone to be able to step right in and fill Prpich's role when he leaves.

CRR, I've been thinking the same thing. I would love another Prpich-type player. Someone with grit and intensity who loves to play the game. What I love about Prp is he always has a smile on his face. Those guys are rare. Did you ever see Murray with a smile on his face? Prp ALWAYS is smiling. Jeff Panzer was always smiling, even at the end of the game and the pressure was on. Those guys are great to have on the team. I don't like what I read about Zajac going to sleep if he doesn't score right away, but that's also the comments from the opposing coach. Possibly those are more objective, or possibly they are less informed. We may have a chance to find out.

USHR.com is reporting that Marc Chevrie, a goaltender with the BCHL's Nanaimo Clippers, has narrowed his college choices to UND, Denver, and Cornell. He's a big kid (6'2") and was apparently MVP of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA League last year.

I wonder if he's in line for '06 or '07?

USHR.com is reporting that Marc Chevrie, a goaltender with the BCHL's Nanaimo Clippers, has narrowed his college choices to UND, Denver, and Cornell. He's a big kid (6'2") and was apparently MVP of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA League last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sioux fans couldn't handle having a goalie that big. :blush:

I wonder if he's in line for '06 or '07?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They got anyone else listed as a possible Sioux recruit or should I say Fighting Sioux

Looks like Travis Zajac was right about his brother.  I see he had a goal last night on top of a roughing penalty and the trifecta of fighting, instigating and misconduct penalties.  Chay Genoway also scored for Vernon.

And Genoway had 2 min for "illegal equipment". I wonder if he had too much curve on his stick? Or was he wearing platform skates? :lol:

From Paul Shaheen about Forney...

Little wonder almost every D-I school in the country has made Forney a scholarship offer. However, it appears North Dakota and Minnesota are first and foremost in Forney's mind. That said, he's also considering Denver and Colorado College.