SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

There are a number of names out there that may or may not become future Fighting Sioux. Some are strong possibilities like Mario Lamoureux and others might be pure speculation. This is a good place to keep that stuff in one place.

Some that come to mind:

Mario Lamoureux - 2 goals and 1 assist in 1 Buc Bowl game with Tri-City of the USHL

Darcy Zajac - started off the preseason hot with a hat trick but in 2 regular season games has no goals and 1 assist.

Chay Genoway - is playing D for Vernon of the BCHL and has no points in 3 games.

Michael Forney - currently playing football

Here's my reaction:

Mario Lamoureux - I'm writing a paper right now, which means everything's a real blur to me, so I totally thought that said Mario Lemieux.

Darcy Zajac - "started off the preseason hot with a hat trick but in 2 regular season games has no goals and 1 assist." In women's hockey? ;)

Chay Genoway - Dear god, Chay? And I thought Colby was a bad enough name.

Michael Forney - Chorney and Forney? :D

Here's my reaction:

Mario Lamoureux - I'm writing a paper right now, which means everything's a real blur to me, so I totally thought that said Mario Lemieux.

Darcy Zajac - "started off the preseason hot with a hat trick but in 2 regular season games has no goals and 1 assist." In women's hockey? ;)

Chay Genoway - Dear god, Chay? And I thought Colby was a bad enough name.

Michael Forney - Chorney and Forney?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha if it makes you feel better, chay's real name is Charles(not too abnormal, although it is kind of a british name)

I am hoping we can land Eric Gryba. I don't know to much about him but what I've read. He was trying to play in Canada and wasn't allowed (or something to that affect I'm not real sure what happened) but he is playing in the USHL this year and is rated highly. He is a big D-men and could fill the void that most of us had for Dowzak replacing Smaby. I am hoping for Gryba and Forney getting added to the 06 list shortly and possibly Ruegsegger from Shattuck.

I am hoping we can land Eric Gryba.  I don't know to much about him but what I've read.  He was trying to play in Canada and wasn't allowed (or something to that affect I'm not real sure what happened) but he is playing in the USHL this year and is rated highly.  He is a big D-men and could fill the void that most of us had for Dowzak replacing Smaby.  I am hoping for Gryba and Forney getting added to the 06 list shortly and possibly Ruegsegger from Shattuck.

I believe Green Bay

I see that Butcher is amoung the early BCHL scoring leaders, as is Surrey's TJ Mullock. Has Mullock committed somewhere?

Edit: message board stuff says Mullock played in the WHL (Regina Pats) prior to going to Surrey so possibly he's not eligible for college hockey??

"Mulock was a league leader in the Western Hockey League last year - in collecting pine needles in his hind-quarters while splitting the year with the Giants and Pats. The six-foot, 180 pound centre spent much of last season watching from the bench.

He saw limited ice time over 71 games, and collected seven goals and 12 assists. He added an assist in four playoff matches."

-----------------------

This was from an old story, as he's entering his third BCHL year now. One of the sad cases where a player chooses major junior, rides the bench, then has to go another route, with no NCAA eligibility left.

Well, maybe he has some eligibility: He played two years in the WHL, so he'd have to sit two years, plus at least 71 additional games for his second WHL year. It looks like he might have to sit out his freshman, sophomore and junior years, and he might become eligible sometime in March of his senior year.

Well, maybe he has some eligibility: He played two years in the WHL, so he'd have to sit two years, plus at least 71 additional games for his second WHL year.  It looks like he might have to sit out his freshman, sophomore and junior years, and he might become eligible sometime in March of his senior year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He could be one of those 25 year old "overaged" Canadians :huh: Guess we can ignore where TJ stands on the BCHL scoring list. Time for the Sioux to sew up a future BCHL recruit so we have someone to follow this year.

In 2 Buc Bowl games Mario Lamoureux lead his team in scoring with 2 goals and 1 assist with a 0 +/-. In 1 regular season game he has only 4 PIM's to register on the score sheet.

In 5 BCHL games so far Darcy Zajac has 1 goal and 3 assists and is tied with about a billion guys for the team lead in points at 4.

Playing defense for Vernon, Chay Genoway with 2 assists in 5 games and 11 PIMs.

I Ranger mentioned Gryba: Paul Shaheen Column on INCH

D Eric Gryba ('88/6-4, 195/Green Bay Gamblers)

From Saskatoon and the Canadian midget AAA champion Saskatoon Contacts, the 17 year-old Gryba showed a great mixture of skills and potential. Through Green Bay's first two (of three total) games, Gryba had a goal and two points, was +2, and had 10 PIMs.

Scout's take: "I honestly believe he has the potential to be a first-round NHL draft pick. He's huge, he plays huge, but he's very poised and offensively gifted."

I hate to be the pee on the toilet seat fellows but I'm gonna take a shot at good old Hak right here. I was backpacking in Europe over the summer and caught some European summer leagues. I was mostly impressed with Germany. We need to realize this is an international game gents and that its dramatically affected the pro game and college is right on the other side of the saddle. We need to be leaders and not followers in this European movement. I mean gol darnit we already have a start with Spirko. We need to tap this German pipeline of talent before the morons in maroon get to it.

:huh:

Are you guys serious? German pipeline? Maroon gets it?

Vaht?

Let me give you two reasons why the Sioux won't be going to check out the European leagues:

1. $$$$$$$$$

2. Why? Most of the European players that are any good play in the Elite Leagues (a semi-pro like the MJ or pro league, not sure what... but whatever it is, it eliminates eligibility) or comes across to some American team (either a prep school out east or the USHL) or goes North American Major Junior.

Whatever real market that exists in Europe for DI is very small and it is debateable whether or not it makes financial sense to spend that kind of money on recruiting trips. We did not get Spirko from the Czech Republic. We got him from the USHL. Vanek came from the USHL, Sejna came from the USHL. I'm not sure there are more than 5 foreign players in the WCHA (foreign being not US or Canadian) that didn't come through some sort of American prep school or Tier I or II team (BCHL, USHL, etc.).

Yes, I know UNO got two Finns. Don't know how, don't care really.

I hate to be the pee on the toilet seat fellows but I'm gonna take a shot at good old Hak right here.  I was backpacking in Europe over the summer and caught some European summer leagues.  I was mostly impressed with Germany.  We need to realize this is an international game gents and that its dramatically affected the pro game and college is right on the other side of the saddle.  We need to be leaders and not followers in this European movement. I mean gol darnit we already have a start with Spirko.  We need to tap this German pipeline of talent before the morons in maroon get to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought you were dead.