SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota and ND State

JESUS,family,rutgers

Just wondering what the differences between the two colleges are.

For example--type and location of campus,type of students, strengths and weaknesses of each school, are many programs dupicated, are they under one "university system" or are they completely independent...? Thanks

For example--type and location of campus,type of students, strengths and weaknesses of each school, are many programs dupicated, are they under one "university system" or are they completely independent...? Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND is to NDSU as U Virginia is to Virginia Tech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The difference between the two colleges are.... the Bison Suck and the Sioux do not.

The rivalry between UND and NDSU goes back over a century and is not just in sports. The schools have fought over everything from the schools' names to programs offered. No matter what people say UND and NDSU are both great schools. Actually, the comparison between UND and NDSU is very similar to that of the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University. UND and USD were both started as THE state university. NDSU and SDSU were both started later as Land Grant Institutions. Originally both NDSU and SDSU were called the ND & SD School of Agriculture. Both still focus largely on agriculture but have obviously expanded into other programs. UND and USD however were started as and still are Liberal Art Colleges. UND's main schools are the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, School of Law, and the School of Aerospace Sciences.

You can go HERE for information on UND's schools and programs.

You can go HERE for NDSU's schools and programs.

You can go HERE for USD's schools and programs.

And last but not least, you can go HERE for SDSU's programs.

As you can see, with UND producing so many of the nations top doctors, lawyers, and pilots, it is pretty obvious that UND definately is the best school in the Dakotas! ;)

As far as enrollment, UND is the largest with approximately 13,500 students. NDSU has approximately 12,000students. SDSU has appproximately 10,000. And USD would be the smallest of the 4 schools with just over 8,000 students. The third week numbers should be out shortly, those are the most accurate.

Also, all public colleges and universities in North Dakota, whether 2year or 4year are all part of the North Dakota University System. You can check that out HERE if you are at all interested in learning more about any of the other schools in NoDak.

If you want to look at these schools more indepth here are their home pages:

UND.edu

NDSU.edu

USD.edu

SDSTATE.edu

I myself think that all 4 universities have very nice campuses but none of them would be ranked in the top in the nation.

I hope this is some of what you were looking for. It is just some quick general info on the schools. I know you didn't ask about USD or SDSU but with the similarities of UND/USD and NDSU/SDSU I thought that I would also mention them.

(1) NDSU and UND are much closer in quality than UVA and VPI, and,

(2) UVA is an elite institution, more like private than public...there's only a handful of public universities anywhere close to UVA and, no matter how much you love them or how good they are, UND isn't one of them...no offense meant....

And NDSU isn't nearly as good a school as Virginia Tech (an institution I think you're dramatically underestimating). Obviously neither UND or NDSU are as good as either UVA or VATech, rather the point was to highlight the relationship between the two schools:

The University of ... is moderately higher ranked with a more elite/professional focus, houses the law and medical schools, and has a league-leading hockey team ;). The land grant institution has a traditional focus on agrictulture, and veterinary medicine, but has recently risen in stature in engineering, increased their focus on research grants, and risen in enrollment to the size of/surpass the University.

The above paragraph works pretty well on UVA/VATech or UND/NDSU. No analogy is perfect, but you make it sound like UVA is Harvard and Va Tech is MSU-Moorhead, which simply isn't true.

I have some questions myself now. I was looking at the NDUS link I posted and looking at some of the other schools. I never realized that MSU-Bottineau used to be NDSU-Bottineau. I was wondering if NDSU ever had any other branch campuses? Also, were UND-Williston and UND-Lake Region the only UND branch campuses? The only other 2 years in ND are Bismarck State and NDSCS, were these ever related to either of the big 2? Or for that matter were any of the 4 years ever connected to them in any way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you like farming or being a door mat for D-I athletics go to NDSU.

Anything else, UND.

• 2 weeks later...
...my point was simply that UVA is a step above nearly all publics...I would put it, Michigan, Penn State, and UNC at the very top, without many equals....again, my purpose wasn't to dis VPI, UND, or NDSU...I have personal experience with UVA, so there may be a little bias there!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, if you are looking at University ofs.

Michigan is a good one, but the top is University of Pennsylvania. After all, it's the only University of that can call themselves part of the Ivy League. The only point where I could be wrong is if this University isn't public.

ANother point to consider is that most large universities have their strengths. Liberal Arts is a strength, sure, and the easiest the media can judge, but the specialties are what really matters.

UND's known for its aviation, hockey athletics, and rural medicine education (med school). We do have good business, law, and engineering schools.

Michigan is the only school you list with an aerospace program, and that's only engineering, not pilot training.

If you like farming or being a door mat for D-I athletics go to NDSU.

Anything else, UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you really think NDSU is that bad in D-1? Look at their football team. They are ranked number 20 in the country and they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the second-best division in D1-aa. I think UND should look up to them and follow their lead. It was really dumb of the Sioux to deny them a game last year. Now we're looking for some help from them and they're just returning the favor. I don't understand UND's mindset here.

So you really think NDSU is that bad in D-1? Look at their football team. They are ranked number 20 in the country and they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the second-best division in D1-aa. I think UND should look up to them and follow their lead. It was really dumb of the Sioux to deny them a game last year. Now we're looking for some help from them and they're just returning the favor. I don't understand UND's mindset here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice try.

Rule of 1. NEVER and I mean NEVER pick the "TEAMFAN" as a name on a message board. It's a dead giveaway. You'll want to use something neutral like Dalmations or Sesame.

2. All three of your posts should try and not "diss" your "favorite team" while praising that of their rival. It's a another dead giveaway.

3. Try not to "rejoin" the same day as your other name is banned. It's another dead giveaway (Siouxfootballfield)

I know you can do better....NDSU fans just need to try a little harder, nothing wrong with that.

Nice try.

Rule of 1. NEVER and I mean NEVER pick the "TEAMFAN" as a name on a message board. It's a dead giveaway. You'll want to use something neutral like Dalmations or Sesame.

2. All three of your posts should try and not "diss" your "favorite team" while praising that of their rival. It's a another dead giveaway.

3. Try not to "rejoin" the same day as your other name is banned. It's another dead giveaway (Siouxfootballfield)

I know you can do better....NDSU fans just need to try a little harder, nothing wrong with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm just a critical Sioux fan. I wasn't banned today, either, Hoser.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NDSU's most recent response to UND's "olive branch" tells you exactly what the deal was...they wanted to use us for a couple good gates in the "critical" tranistion years (the first 2) but now that they're out of that...it's "screw you! We can't afford to lose to a D2 school NOW!! " Tells you exactly how much they "valued" the rivalry;)

As to the "prestige" of di-AA?? Just the fact NDSU has made so much progress by piling money into scholarships to bring in a bunch of players from all over the country should tell you - "you can get good with money in di-AA! :D " They beat Montana as a DII but finished as the 2nd or 3rd best team in their Division 2 CONFERENCE that year...and didn't make the playoffs...the bottom line is...they bailed out to "division 1" so they wouldn't have to get kicked by UND year after year :lol:

NDSU's most recent response to UND's "olive branch" tells you exactly what the deal was...they wanted to use us for a couple good gates in the "critical" tranistion years (the first 2) but now that they're out of that...it's "screw you! We can't afford to lose to a D2 school NOW!! " Tells you exactly how much they "valued" the rivalry;)

As to the "prestige" of di-AA?? Just the fact NDSU has made so much progress by piling money into scholarships to bring in a bunch of players from all over the country should tell you - "you can get good with money in di-AA! :D " They beat Montana as a DII but finished as the 2nd or 3rd best team in their Division 2 CONFERENCE that year...and didn't make the playoffs...the bottom line is...they bailed out to "division 1" so they wouldn't have to get kicked by UND year after year :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe that. I feel that UND is getting what they deserve. If we had just said yes in the first place, we wouldn't have this problem. I think this rivalry deserves to live on. I want to see UND beat the Bison just as much as you do, but its not gonna happen because of that idiot Kupchella.

NDSU's most recent response to UND's "olive branch" tells you exactly what the deal was...they wanted to use us for a couple good gates in the "critical" tranistion years (the first 2) but now that they're out of that...it's "screw you!  We can't afford to lose to a D2 school NOW!! " Tells you exactly how much they "valued" the rivalry;)

I believe if you look back at the record, the original offer was home and home for 4 years. UND would have had a couple good gates too.

Second best division in D-1AA? By division I'm guessing you mean conference. I don't follow D-1AA, but surely a conference that was just formed a year ago by a bunch of teams who couldn't get themselves accepted into any established conferences can't possibly be the second best. If it really is the second best conference in D-1AA, then D-1AA is a lot weaker than I thought it was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe UND is better than you think it is? :lol: