SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Here is one opinion on the prospects for West Fargo High School Hockey. West Fargo finished the 04-05 hockey season with only 5 wins on the season. They also lost a total of six games by only one goal. So, what are the prospects for 05-06? They only lost five seniors but sophomore (junior this fall) defenseman Trevor Anderson transferred, again, this time to Fargo South. Leading scorer (tied) Troy Wambach is gone along with three senior defensemen. Steven Burdick is back (16 points) along with Josh Issertell (16 points) and Darek Knaus (14 points). There should be plenty of senior leadership as 12 players are in their final year. The defensive corps is thin as only three return (Tyler Swanson 6 pts, Garison Hoovestol D/F 5 points, and Matt Crist 3 points). Goalies Colin Guidinger (85.7%, 4.43 GAA) and Brady Houkom (87.0%, 4.50 GAA) both return. The key for West Fargo will have to be improvement over last year for the substantial number of players that return and maybe some support from a couple of the high quality bantams coming in. A better season is possible if the scoring punch develops, a few solid defensemen step-up, and goaltending improves. Without that improvement West Fargo will fight it out with Shanley and Wahpeton in the second tier of the EDC.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top forward and d-man in the state will both be from Fargo South.  Paul Weisgarber and Erik Galt should be a huge threat especially on the powerplay.  The top goalie in the state will defintely be Tony Kringstad from Grafton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea Wiesgarber-Galt is one of the best F-D combos in the state but u cant rule out RR's Mihulka-Delisle combo. Good luck to all of them in their Elite League games, hopefully all of them will get some well deserved attention, but Kringstad? Lets get real. Rosendahl, Dichert, and Welk will perform better then krinstad this year.

Which players are projected to be the top 5 at their position this year, Forward, Defense, and Tender. Either in the East, West, or both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously the best 5 of the east goes as follows.

Marc Mihulka(RR), Paul Wiesgarber(FS), One or the other Campbell(GPR)

Jake Delisle(RR), Eric Galt(FS)

Eli Rosendahl(RR)

Im not that familiar with the west but i dont care because after the oppening day of the 2006 State Tournament they wont matter.(Like always)

Obviously the best 5 of the east goes as follows.

Marc Mihulka(RR), Paul Wiesgarber(FS), One or the other Campbell(GPR)

Jake Delisle(RR), Eric Galt(FS)

Eli Rosendahl(RR)

Im not that familiar with the west but i dont care because after the oppening day of the 2006 State Tournament they wont matter.(Like always)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hear u cluckin big chicken

Not sure where you get your information that entitles you to make such a slanderious comment such as bair being better than Marto, but i would suggest you look at your sources and then re-evaluate your opinion because it is obviously wrong. WILBUR

Not sure where you get your information that entitles you to make such a slanderious comment such as bair being better than Marto, but i would suggest you look at your sources and then re-evaluate your opinion because it is obviously wrong.  WILBUR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without knowing you must be from out west, I suppose you want to move state out there next.

Not sure where you get your information that entitles you to make such a slanderious comment such as bair being better than Marto, but i would suggest you look at your sources and then re-evaluate your opinion because it is obviously wrong.  WILBUR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is unclear what post you are referring to as you did not cite it. In paging back I can see that Wilbur made a reference to Charlie Bair and Jake Marto in one a page or two back. In that post Wilbur indicated that Marto was a better player than Bair. I think any fair reading of what Wilbur said clearly indicates that meaning. If you want to raise an topic for discussion it is helpful if you fully understand the post you are referring to. It is also helpful to quote it. Marto is an excellent player and I think those participating on this board agree with that opinion. In addition, you might want to look up the definition of slander in the dictionary as well. A better selection of terms will also help any type of point you are trying to make.

Again, we have a type of individual making posts that are inappropriate and this behavior puts the entire thread at risk.  I do not want to see this thread shut down because of this type of behavior.

I removed posts with inappropriate profane and sexual content from this thread. Readers are likely to notice such posts before we do, so please continue to report inappropriate posts and trolls.

All goalies are a little wierd, if anyone saw White Bear Lakes goalie last year you know that. But its not right to call out a high school kid like that on a message board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya givem a break he serves the Lord

All ive been hearing about is what east teams are going to be like... what is the west going to be like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's take a look at the Bismarck schools first. Bismarck Century loses 12 seniors including seven of their top eight scorers. For forwards the top two returning players include senior Alex Bortke (9g, 15a, 24pts), senior Calvin Patch (3g, 1a, 4 pts) and junior Drew Flurer (1g, 3a, 4pts). They have four returning defensemen led by senior Ian Emery (2g, 6a, 8pts). Both goalies return (Steve Farmsworth GAA 6.0/ save % 82.1 and Nick Dehne GAA 3.88/ save % 89.0. It looks as though it will be a major rebuilding year for Century. If there are 6-8 kids who are improving by skating and working out all summer then there might be some light in the tunnel by the end of the season but on paper Century will have a tough time with Minot and Williston and will have a major struggle in any games against top tier teams from the EDC. Century does not have any players in the Elite I League this fall and there were no players on the USA Hockey Select 87/88 team last spring.

At Bismarck High the picture is not quite so grim. They lost ten seniors including six of the top seven scorers from last season. At Forward they return senior Ross Monson (4g, 13a, 17pts), senior Justin Connell (8g, 7a, 15pts), junior Brent Job (4g, 8a, 12pts), and a couple of others. Clark Dingeman returns on defense (2g, 6a, 8pts) but he has also played forward. Senior Erik Reis (1g, 5a, 6pts) is a capable defenseman who is a leading midfielder on the soccer team. Connell and Dingeman are playing football while Ross Monson is the only Bismarck player on the Fall High School Elite I team (Great Plains). All three goalies return led by Michael Hillman (GAA 3.0/ 88.8%saves). The prospects for Bismarck High are better than those for Century but the Demons will also have a major rebuilding job. Monson, Connell, Dingeman, Hillman, and Reis have had some involvement, off and on, with the North Dakota USA Select program and they should be the most effective players on their team.

The current group of seniors and juniors at both Bismarck schools had major struggles as bantams and finished low in the standings. Without major improvement both teams will most likely find themselves at a competitive disadvantage against Minot and Williston and will have a tough time against the east.

All ive been hearing about is what east teams are going to be like... what is the west going to be like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minot has lost both goalies and a number of seniors including the cornerstones of their offense. Rody Selk graduated, and may be playing juniors somewhere, and Jordan Willert, the leading scorer on the team (and in the state) left to spend his senior year in the USHL with the Tri-City Storm. Because of that, and the graduation of several senior defensemen, Minot will not be near the team they were last year. On the positive, the team returns their 3rd (Andy Dittus 16g, 26a, 42pts), 4th (Nathan Stemick 12g, 17a, 29pts), 7th (Tyler Lundy 11g, 9a, 20pts), and 8th leading scorers from last year (Jordan Kelly 9g, 10a, 19pts). Several defensemen return including Hildahl (3g, 10a, 13pts). Brandon Tollefson (12pts) and Brandon Schmitt (8pts) also return as forwards. A key for Minot will be in the goalie pipeline - if there is a good goalie from JV or bantams that could help a lot. There are some defensive spots to fill but I think the offense, which should be fairly good, will not match last season's output. Developmentally, Andy Dittus should be prepared for the high school season as he is currently playing in the Fall High School Elite I league (Great Plains) and Nathan Stremick, a junior, is playing on the Elite II team. They will have enough firepower to contest for the top spot in the West.