SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Bruce will be tough to replace for Williston. He's one kid that I really felt sorry for at the state tournament last season. He had an all state season until his team made it to the state tournament, where he just kind of fell apart. As a former goaltender who knows how incredibly horrible it feels to play like he did, I gotta hope he gets a chance to play again somewhere..... :glare:

Wilbur's West Region Predictions

1. Bismarck

2. Williston

3. Minot

4. Hazen

5. Century

6. Devils Lake

7. Mandan

8. Dickinson

9. Bottineau

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take a look a the prospects for Jamestown next season. It appears that they lost eight seniors including four of their top eight scorers. Both goalies return including Corey Grothman who played in the majority of games. On defense they return two juniors (Spenningby and Lindberg) and a senior (Beckman). The brightest lights for Jamestown may be their returning forwards which include Brett Ritchie (33 points), Zach Welding (27 points), Ryan Lindberg (16 points), Brock Burkett (13 points), and Mikael Foss (7 points).

Welding is the most traveled of the group as he attended two USA Hockey National Festivals and has drawn some interest from junior teams in the US and Canada. He had no goals but five assists in the Select 17 Festival this past summer in St. Cloud. He played on the Elite II team last fall and is projected to be on that roster again this fall and is only a junior. Jamestown should be able to put together a very strong first line. The goalies have seen a lot of shots in that program and that may help make them better. The key is getting a second and third line and developing enough defensemen to support the goalie in keeping all three lines of the opposition out of the net, as much as possible.

Jamestown gave some of the larger programs in the EDC some problems in 04-05 as they only lost to North 5-3 and 4-3 and lost to Grand Forks Central 3-2. On the other hand they could not skate with Grafton or Red River in any of those games. It will be an uphill season for Jamestown - they will have some powerful offense but their defense needs to develop to help break out the puck and also to keep the opposition away from their net. Not sure that they can accomplish that and I have picked them sixth in EDC.

RedRiver- Mark (10 Bears) Milhulka, Matt Marchel and one hell of a manager in "Meatball" (The other manager, Chow123 will bring the team down). Almost forgot Jarret Galbreath, not the smartest kid in the world but boy can he play hockey.

Central- Without Marto theyre going to struggle. I expect Tim Gregroire and Johnny Greciar to step up and play Big Roles.

North- Justin Welk had a huge role on the Fargo North DECA sqaud. If he can do half as good on the rink as he did as the FUTURE STATE PRESIDENT expect North to have a decnt squad.

Also, why isnt Griggs the Head Coach at North Yet?

Milhulka For Mr. Hockey

Any ideas on who Mr. Hockey may be? Besides the obvioius candidates (Weisgarber, Galt, Paul Campell), is there any one else that may contest for the spot? I dont believe either of the Campells have played hockey this summer and it will be very difficult for one of them to win. On the other hand Weisgarber has been injured but that didn't seem to stop him last year. With Willert leaving Minot, the West really does not have a ligetimate chance of bringing home a Mr. Hockey. Galt may be the favorite to win it, but if the Mr. Hockey candidates are chosen on this season alone I wouldnt be surprised if you did not see either of the Campell names and maybe someone you would'nt expect (Mihulka,...?)

First of all, the way the Player of the year awards (Mr. Hockey/Ms. Hockey) are made for girl's and boy's hockey needs a procedural change. There should be a balanced number of finalists for the spot. That means four finalists instead of three. When you have two finalists from one region (West or East) the result might be a diluted or split vote based on geography and the best candidate is not selected. The current procedure does not guarantee a geographically biased vote but there should be an equal number of finalist candidates from the EDC and WDC.

I did not follow girl's hockey very closely but last season I think the odd number may have created a problem. For the boys it was not a problem as Marto is a good player which was underscored by his recruitment by the Sioux. Any other thoughts on this issue?

First of all, the way the Player of the year awards (Mr. Hockey/Ms. Hockey) are made for girl's and boy's hockey needs a procedural change.  There should be a balanced number of finalists for the spot.  That means four finalists instead of three.  When you have two finalists from one region (West or East) the result might be a diluted or split vote based on geography and the best candidate is not selected.  The current procedure does not guarantee a geographically biased vote but there should be an equal number of finalist candidates from the EDC and WDC.

I did not follow girl's hockey very closely but last season I think the odd number may have created a problem.  For the boys it was not a problem as Marto is a good player which was underscored by his recruitment by the Sioux.  Any other thoughts on this issue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While that system may help hinder geographical biases, I just don't think it's a realistic possibility to have two finalists from the each region. As Wilbur and the rest of us know, the west is usually significantly weaker than the east, and their two candidates might not be better than even the third best player from the east. Take this upcoming season for instance, the east would only get to nominate two players, while clearly their top four or five players are better than any player from the west, which isn't fair to those players in the east. Any thoughts?

Maybe I should not have brought the issue up. To evaluate it you really need to know the entire procedure. Actually, I think there is the potential to have 3 finalists from only one part of the state. I probably need to know more about the procedure to comment in an informed way about the selection.

This past season the west had two finalists - Charlie Bair and Sam Aide while the east only had one - Jake Marto. The state hockey tournament program says that, "The seventeen head coaches select the Mr. Hockey winner." (That would be 18 now with Fargo Shanley). My main point is that if you have two excellent candidates from one region those coaches would know those players best and the votes could be split thus putting the players in the two finalist region at a disadvantage. It is not really that big of a deal as there is no college scholarship or monetary award at stake.

Here are the Mr. Hockey winners from the first year (1991) to 2000 - don't have a recent program to get the others. Matt Stockert (Jamestown, 1991), Tony Gasparini (GF Central 1992), Jeremy Asheim (Bismarck, 1992), Tom Philion (Minot 1993), Jay Panzer (GF Central 1994), Joe Vannett (Jamestown 1995), Paul Murphy (Red River 1996), Mark Bry (Red River 1997), Joe Markusen (Grafton/Park River 1998), Cory McLean (Fargo North 1999), Brandon Askew (Fargo South 2000).

While that system may help hinder geographical biases, I just don't think it's a realistic possibility to have two finalists from the each region. As Wilbur and the rest of us know, the west is usually significantly weaker than the east, and their two candidates might not be better than even the third best player from the east. Take this upcoming season for instance, the east would only get to nominate two players, while clearly their top four or five players are better than any player from the west, which isn't fair to those players in the east. Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that the coaches have done an outstanding job of selecting the Mr. Hockey winners the past couple of seasons. There really hasn't been a winner in my years of following high school hockey that I didn't agree with. The last guy from the West Region who probably had a legitimate chance of winning the award was possibly John Grubb. You may argue Charlie Bair, but having seen them both play no true hockey fan could say that Charlie was a better overall player than Marto.

This years Mr. Hockey winner......Galt. Write that down! :glare:

A couple of thoughts:

1) Do the coaches vote for Mr. Hockey? I thought they changed that to the media? The media was doing Mr. Basketball, and that is why they never announce it over the PA, only on TV. They also don't do an all-state team anymore, the media does that too. Thought the same would go for hockey, but maybe not.

2) It is not the WDC, but the WDA right? Just thought it sounded weird when I read WDC.

Which players are projected to be the top 5 at their position this year, Forward, Defense, and Tender. Either in the East, West, or both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The top three forwards will be from the East. No question about it. We have Paul Weisgarber, Marc Mihulka, Tom Campell, Paul Campell, Nick Klenow, Zach Miller, and Tyler Klein. It is doubtful that you'll find a forward in the West better than one of them. On defense Erick Galt will most definitly be the best in the state. If he will be the best player in the state, well thats another story. What was his work ethic like this summer? Was he surpassed by a forward with more drive to get the next level? Maybe. Maybe not. Kringstad for Grafton will be one of the top goalies in the state. Another notable will be Fargo Norths Justin Welk if he can stay consistent.

I'm curious to see who everyone in here thinks will have the best line in the state...

I have a few thoughts- Fargo South- Campell, Weisgarber, and Powers.

Grafton- T. Campell, P. Campell, Zach Miller

Fargo North- Tyler Klein, Nick Klenow, Seth Fischer

Those nine forwards are definitly going to give opposing teams some trouble this year. Which group has the most chemisty, gels the best, and is unselfish throughout the year will play a major factor in the success of each of their respective teams.

The top three forwards will be from the East. No question about it. We have Paul Weisgarber, Marc Mihulka, Tom Campell, Paul Campell, Nick Klenow, Zach Miller, and Tyler Klein. It is doubtful that you'll find a forward in the West better than one of them. On defense Erick Galt will most definitly be the best in the state. If he will be the best player in the state, well thats another story. What was his work ethic like this summer? Was he surpassed by a forward with more drive to get the next level? Maybe. Maybe not. Kringstad for Grafton will be one of the top goalies in the state. Another notable will be Fargo Norths Justin Welk if he can stay consistent.

I'm curious to see who everyone in here thinks will have the best line in the state...

Those nine forwards are definitly going to give opposing teams some trouble this year. Which group has the most chemisty, gels the best, and is unselfish throughout the year will play a major factor in the success of each of their respective teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Campbell, Campbell, Miller definitely these boys have played together for years and years, many people dont realize that Powers has only been in Fargo 2 years. Klein, Klenow and Fischer sounds like a nice line but thats all North has, teams are gonna match lines with them and their production will not be what everyone expects. The East really is intriguing this year after Grafton and South its just a crap shoot, should be fun to watch play out.

The west does have one dman that matches up wit the best in the east and that is Tyler Jundt. He has the tools we will see if he uses them this season to get on the Mr. hockey ballot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's difficult for one defenseman to get nominated for Mr. Hockey, which Galt might already have. It's doubtful there would be more than one defensemen, so he'd basically have to beat out Galt. I'm not saying it's not possible but he'd have to put up some pretty huge numbers especially since he's in the west to get on the Mr. Hockey ballot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PSHHHHHH the best line around in 05\06 will be Mihulka, Spies, and (whoever)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rumor has it is that RR has a new kid from Germany who is a goalie. With Rosendahl and this mystery Euro, RR looks nice and deep in the crease. (no pun intended)

Which players are projected to be the top 5 at their position this year, Forward, Defense, and Tender. Either in the East, West, or both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's look at the East Region only and toss some names around. Based on last season's performance, participation in the USA Hockey Select Program over the past few years, National USA Hockey Select Festival participation, Minnesota Model Camp, interest expressed by Junior "A" teams, Elite II, and Elite I team participation here would be several forwards who should be projected at the top for 05-06 - in no particular order: Paul Weisgarber, Marc Mihulka, Nick Klenow, Paul Campbell, and Thomas Campbell. Other forwards who might gravitate to the top include Zach Welding, Zach Miller, Tyler Klein, David Spies, Adam Campbell, Grant Larson and Jon Greicar.

The defensive side is harder to pick as there was tremendous turnover in dmen this year. Clearly, Erick Galt and Andy Peterson would be at the top, after that, I do not know. I could toss out some names but it would be speculation. Goalies - that's tough too - probably Tony Kringstad, Kelvin Shane, Eli Rosendahl, and maybe Justin Welk and Sean Deichert. Easier to come up with some ideas after about 5-10 games.