SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Well its July and the season is getting closer. Lets start talking about the upcoming highschool season. What will the story lines be this year? Probably another all Grand Forks final, because simply put....Grand Forks dominates highschool hockey.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is early and things could change but it might be easiest to look at the East and West separately. In the east, on paper, I think South looks good and so does Grafton. Both Grand Forks schools have graduated a lot of key players. Objectively, at this point South and Grafton return more key players on paper so I think they would be the preseason favorites. In the West, Minot returns enough players to be the team to beat. The Bismarck schools are not as strong on paper as they were last year. Overall, the whole state, for the most part, is going to be down in terms of team quality although there are some excellent individual players returning.

Well its July and the season is getting closer. Lets start talking about the upcoming highschool season. What will the story lines be this year? Probably another all Grand Forks final, because simply put....Grand Forks dominates highschool hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does this look like to you? Bantam A's.

Great.......another eastern North Dakota hockey chest thumping thread. I'm from Minot, and every time I try to have a legitimate conversation with someone regarding high school hockey all I hear is......HAH....Minot??? Or when I try to talk about the up and coming young programs that are just starting to get kids interested in playing hockey (Mandan, Hazen, etc.) all I hear is...ohh well Western hockey is just atrocious.

Let the "The state tournament should only be East Region teams" chest thumping thread of fame begin.....

It can be interesting to have a discussion if attention is paid to the facts. Grand Forks has obviously built the strongest tradition over time. However, they did not dominate hockey at every level in the 2004-05 season. The term dominate can be also be used in many ways. Is a one goal victory domination or is it the simple fact of winning regardless of the margin.

For the high school hockey season in 2005-06 an arm chair review of the returning players would suggest that the teams to watch are Grafton and South in the East and Minot in the West. Of course, the real test is the regular season games then EDC and State. Who will improve the most? Which coaches will get the most out of their players? Injuries and defections to juniors will also impact the final season. It should be an interesting season.

Great.......another eastern North Dakota hockey chest thumping thread.  I'm from Minot, and every time I try to have a legitimate conversation with someone regarding high school hockey all I hear is......HAH....Minot???  Or when I try to talk about the up and coming young programs that are just starting to get kids interested in playing hockey (Mandan, Hazen, etc.) all I hear is...ohh well Western hockey is just atrocious.

Let the "The state tournament should only be East Region teams" chest thumping thread of fame begin.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best thing to do is ignore the "chest pumping"............even though that is tough sometimes.

West:

1. Minot

2. Bismarck High

3. Bismarck Century

4. Williston

5. Hazen-Beulah

6.Devils Lake

7. Mandan

8. Dickinson

9. Bottineau

East:

1. Grafton and Fargo South will be fighting for the #1 spot in the east.

3.G.F. Red River

4.Fargo North

5.G.F. Central

6.Jamestown

7.West Fargo

8.Shanley

9.Wahpeton/Breck

It is very early, but from looking at which teams are returning key players I think this is how it could pan out.

Great.......another eastern North Dakota hockey chest thumping thread.  I'm from Minot, and every time I try to have a legitimate conversation with someone regarding high school hockey all I hear is......HAH....Minot???  Or when I try to talk about the up and coming young programs that are just starting to get kids interested in playing hockey (Mandan, Hazen, etc.) all I hear is...ohh well Western hockey is just atrocious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minot showed their true colors in the first round of the state tourney this year. An unbeaten record in the west is equivalent to a .500 record in the east.

Thank you iramurphy for starting a legitimate topic about North Dakota high school hockey. I don't want to get too excited about the prospects of a great season for Minot high school (coaching changes, kids leaving early for Jrs.) but its nice when fans from other towns throw out a compliment or two. :D

I'm not going to make any bold predictions, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if Fargo South was playing Grafton for the state championship. I haven't heard anything about whether Weisgerber or Gault will remain with the bruins (who knows with kids leaving early and so on) but if those two return for their senior seasons South has a great chance. Grafton has the Campbells, and a 3 year starter in the net so they'll undoubtedly have a great season as well.

Ohh yeah...never EVER....count out the Grand Forks schools. I did last year, never again.... :lol:

West:

1. Minot

2. Bismarck High

3. Bismarck Century

4. Williston

5. Hazen-Beulah

6.Devils Lake

7. Mandan

8. Dickinson

9. Bottineau

East:

1. Grafton and Fargo South will be fighting for the #1 spot in the east.

3.G.F. Red River

4.Fargo North

5.G.F. Central

6.Jamestown

7.West Fargo

8.Shanley

9.Wahpeton/Breck

It is very early, but from looking at which teams are returning key players I think this is how it could pan out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

West.

1 MInot

2Williston

3Bhigh

4Bcentury

5Hazen

6DL

7mandan

8dickison

9bottineau

East

1South

2Grafton

3RR

4Central

5West Fargo

6Jamestown

7North

8Wap

9 Shanley

Minot showed their true colors in the first round of the state tourney this year. An unbeaten record in the west is equivalent to a .500 record in the east.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if they beat every east team they played during the year including Central, Red River, and Grafton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if they beat every east team they played during the year including Central, Red River, and Grafton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minot will be for real, but if Willert (sp?) leaves that will be a BIG loss to try overcome.

Who will be the best players in the state? I liked the Campbell (I know there was more than one, Im not sure which was which) from grafton. I would guess that the Campbell's are farmers and don't need jobs. That is probably part of the reason they turned down Warroad, the other part is probably because they are loyal. Just a guess, I dont know them personally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>