SiouxSports.com Forum

basketball recruiting

UND92,96

I am sure Roebauck doesn't have any scholarship $ available - unless a current player or two aren't coming back.  Anyone know if we have had any propects in visiting campus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was anyone else surprised by this signing?

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ta/11429308.htm

UND coach Gene Roebuck announced the signing of his daughter, Cierra, to a letter of intent Monday, making the Grand Forks Central senior the fourth player to sign with the Sioux.

While Gene has certainly earned the right to sign which players as he sees fit, he may have opened himself up to a lot of criticism. It would be my understanding that there are a number of regional players that are much more individually talented, including Alys Seay, the junior guard on the GFC team, but perhaps not harder working. Parent-coach/child-player relationships can make for difficult "navigating." Perhaps the main redeeming quality is that the player often has coaching abilities him or herself that extend on the court.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very surprised if Cierra is receiving more than a very nominal amount of scholarship money.  Regarding Seay, Roebuck has hinted on the radio coaches' show that a local junior is being recruited. Presumably, that player is Seay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may not be for sure on this one...but don't children of University employees go to school for free? I know they do at many schools in ND, and I don't think it's any different at UND. Maybe she's getting like a minimum meal plan or something like that.

I figured that Cierra would play for UND, but I didn't think she'd get any $$ to do so. She'll might prove me wrong, but I don't think she's nearly as good as anyone else that we brought in this year.

An LOI does a few things:

- defines any money (which as speculated probably isn't much)

- forces other schools to stop calling

- allows the coaches to say the recruit's name (which means Gene can now talk to his daughter again, right? :silly: )

An LOI does a few things:

- defines any money (which as speculated probably isn't much)

- forces other schools to stop calling

- allows the coaches to say the recruit's name (which means Gene can now talk to his daughter again, right? :silly: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's an NLI (National Letter of Intent) not LOI and it has nothing to do with money. That is the financial aid agreement. Many places do offer discounts to the kids of U employees... I can't believe that a place like UND wouldn't offer at least a discount.

It's an NLI (National Letter of Intent) not LOI and it has nothing to do with money. That is the financial aid agreement. Many places do offer discounts to the kids of U employees... I can't believe that a place like UND wouldn't offer at least a discount.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe they do offer some sort of a discount. On your application they ask if either of your parents are employees at the school. Not positive though?

no discount insider...i am sorry to say...hopefully they change that...since pay is bad in ND maybe gettin a childs discount could keep some professors in ND.....as far as a letter of intent....money is given otherwise you do not announce the signing...a scholarship of some dollar amount is given...otherwise they are considered a walk on...NCAA rule....

LOI was the commonly used term in the past. Yes, I've seen a transition by some coaches to calling them NLIs. Whatever.

The NLI of which you speak, however, does have to do with money:

At the time of the Letter's signing, the athletics director would indicate the type and extent of financial aid the institution was willing to provide.

Financial aid is money, right? Cash may not change hands but the monetary bill from the University gets paid: money.

no discount insider...i am sorry to say...hopefully they change that...since pay is bad in ND maybe gettin a childs discount could keep some professors in ND.....as far as a letter of intent....money is given otherwise you do not announce the signing...a scholarship of some dollar amount is given...otherwise they are considered a walk on...NCAA rule....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a joke, how come I got free schooling then, was it just because my dad, Charles Kup...oh never mind

Granted, not all NCC schools are done recruiting as USD and St. Cloud St. haven't announced any spring signings yet, but it would appear that at least arguably, UND will have the best influx of new talent next season, particularly when you factor in Harkins who red-shirted this year. Harkins, Koenig, Gutter, Miller and Phillips, at least on paper, should all contribute immediately. I'm certainly not predicting a conference title by any means, but at least we should be far more competitive next year than it appeared we might be immediately following this season.

How are the other schools looking for next year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO, Duluth may actually have the most returning. I believe they return four players who averaged double figures in scoring this season, and recruited a pretty good big kid this spring, as well. They're certainly not the most athletic team, but they should be pretty tough.

USD returns the league MVP in Trofholz, plus a good outside shooter in Nour, but not much else. Whether they're strong again will likely depend on who they add between now and August.

St. Cloud loses Miller and Trull, but should be decent if they add a few newcomers who can play. Siegle and Hanson give them a nice frontcourt combo.

Augie returns almost everybody, so they should be better than they've been, but I still wouldn't expect them to be better than about 5th or 6th at best.

Mankato returns Anderson, but lost a lot, including Staten and Moeller. I think they'll fall off quite a bit from where they were this year.

UNO returns all-conference players Curtis and Kapels, and always seems to find some good transfers or jucos. They did lose a lot of talent so I don't necessarily expect them to be quite as good as they've been the past couple of years, but if they find a couple more transfers they could be strong again.

I don't think anybody will necessarily have significantly more talent than will the Sioux, but that was probably the case this past year, too. Much will depend on how the newcomers do, and whether players like Lindahl and Nobles can play at a more consistent level. They both are as good as anybody in the league at their positions, but must play up to that level all the time.

wow...coach dags....werent all these people on here ready to bury MBB...now it seems as though they might not be too bad??? maybe coach Glas will even get coach of the year...make it to the elite 8.....where did all these poeple go who wanted him gone?:D cant jump the fence!!!!!!!!

wow...coach dags....werent all these people on here ready to bury MBB...now it seems as though they might not be too bad???  maybe coach Glas will even get coach of the year...make it to the elite 8.....where did all these poeple go who wanted him gone?:D cant jump the fence!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand what you're saying, but personally I'm just giving credit to the coaches for seemingly doing a nice job recruiting. I definitely don't have any particularly high expectations for next year, but with the league seemingly being very balanced, anything is possible. I don't intend to belabor the point about coaching since the a.d. change/search probably means that there will not be any major changes in any sport prior to next season. Certainly there is disagreement among the basketball posters on this board about coaching, but hopefully we can just agree to disagree and hope for the best next season.

i have no problem to agree to diagree...simply pointing out the obvious....the great thing about this country everyone can have a opinion...i dont have to agree with it and you dont have to agree with mine....i dont have a problem with that....various opinions is how you broaden your horizons!!!! and maybe some have gotten broadened.