SiouxSports.com Forum

administrator

I guess everyone will have to change their avatar that have the "Fighting Sioux" logo because it is hostile and abusive. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not quite hockey season yet, but I'll switch to my hockey puck avatar just for you. :silly:

I guess everyone will have to change their avatar that have the "Fighting Sioux" logo because it is hostile and abusive. :silly:

Just as an FYI, I'll repeat my explanation to GK. SiouxSports.com is completely private, subject to no influence from the NCAA or UND. Under NCAA guidelines, we're actually a "booster" organization, meaning that what we do can harm UND (e.g. if we were to inappropriately make payments to recruits, etc...), but they don't have any formal authority over our actions.

Even if UND changed the logo and name, we probably wouldn't ban its use by individual members unless a court actually ruled it "hostile and abusive" such that its use wasn't protected under the 1st Amendment. The site itself, of course, will refer to UND using its current and factual nickname; if UND changes their nickname to Cherokee, the site will start referring to them as the Cherokee, and so forth.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to those affected -- we're cracking down a little on provocative avatars.  While people have done a good job of following our request to keep it in line with something you might see on the street, the very real concern has been raised about the site being "safe for work".

The new standard is going to be whether I'd be embarassed to have my boss standing behind me while reading one of your posts.  A little arbitrary, but directly meets the site's "safe for work" goal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are political parodies o.k. or would this be too risky & possibly offend someone's sensibilities? I want to upload a political avatar but I don't want to be too "provocative"; simply want to stay within your nicely packaged, non-offensive parameters. No skin, derogatory language, violence or anything of the sort.

Thank you.

And if I understand this right, a boss might be offended by a woman in a bikini but he wouldn't be offended by his employee surfing the Internet on company time?

Are political parodies o.k. or would this be too risky & possibly offend someone's sensibilities?

Sorry for the delay, you did try to ask. Let's apply the forums' "avoid politics" standard to avatars.

And if I understand this right, a boss might be offended by a woman in a bikini but he wouldn't be offended by his employee surfing the Internet on company time?

Yep. I certainly couldn't care less if I walked into someone's office and they had ESPN open on the web browser, corroborated by the fact that the majority of posts here appear during the business day and there are quite a few non-students who post. I know some places are strict, but everyplace I've worked allows casual, personal web browsing as long as it's not inappropriate and you get your work done.

Sorry for the delay, you did try to ask. Let's apply the forums' "avoid politics" standard to avatars.

Yep. I certainly couldn't care less if I walked into someone's office and they had ESPN open on the web browser, corroborated by the fact that the majority of posts here appear during the business day and there are quite a few non-students who post. I know some places are strict, but everyplace I've worked allows casual, personal web browsing as long as it's not inappropriate and you get your work done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Employers who don't want their employees to go on line block their access to the internet.

2.  Don't have girls in bikinis as your avatar (because someone from work might see it and get offended).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't so much that they're offended, but many company internet policies (including mine) have a certain "taste" code that they follow. (for lack of a better term) If the company administrator sees something which in his opinion is in "bad taste", he can put a block on the site, regardless of the full content. Up to this point, I'm free to browse during working hours, and I think the avatar rule helps my situation as well as others'.

(yes... I too enjoy giant full-motion bouncing exposed breasts, but I'm happy to give them up for continued Sioux coverage) ;)