SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey program!

Riverman

OT and winning are two totally different things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give me a break Cratter!! You gotta be kidding, what a moral victory for this NEW team taking it to the three (I think) time national champs!! And how about that winning coach Shannon Miller and her staff walking away without shaking the hands of the Sioux players! Classy, eh?

Give me a break Cratter!! You gotta be kidding, what a moral victory for this NEW team taking it to the three (I think) time national champs!! And how about that winning coach Shannon Miller and her staff walking away without shaking the hands of the Sioux players! Classy, eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

9-23-3

Congrats.

9-23-3

Congrats.

It's very easy for someone to look at a final record and say that a team had a bad year. It was their first year in the WCHA. The WCHA happens to be home to the number one (Minnesota), two (Minnesota-Duluth), and three (Wisconsin) teams in the nation at this moment. Not exactly a cake walk for anyone, let alone a team in it's first year in the league, and only their third year in existance.

OT and winning are two totally different things.

The Sioux lost to UMD 13-0 in 2002-2003. Yesterday the Bulldogs had to take them to OT to win. That is one hell of a turnaround in a very minimal amount of time. Losing 13-0 and losing 3-2 in OT "are two totally different things."

Losing in overtime in your very first post season game to the number two team in the nation (and to a team that has won 3 DI titles to their credit) should earn you nothing but respect and that's exactly what these ladies should have right now.

As far as Minnesota-Duluth refusing to shake hands.....if that's true, the Bulldogs are absolutely classless and I hope that the Gophers hand them their asses on a platter. And I HATE the Gophers.

This team will be a force to be reckoned with, just give them a little more time. You can't be the best overnight. This team is still in it's infancy. The pride and success of the University of North Dakota and Grand Forks' hockey tradition will spill over to it's women's team.

I see great things coming in the not so far off future, the Wooster sisters have a season under their belt and Amber Hasbargen is poised to have an incredible senior season, she's been brilliant over the last month. If we can keep the defense healthy, who knows what's in store next year.....

icon10.gif

GO SIOUX!!!

The pride and success of the University of North Dakota and Grand Forks' hockey tradition will spill over to it's women's team. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope it does, because they are costing the University millions of dollars each year, so I hope they can become a respectable program and get more than 200 fans to attend their games at home.

I hope it does, because they are costing the University millions of dollars each year...
Millions of dollars, eh?

...and get more than 200 fans to attend their games at home.

Way to get your facts straight before coming off like a complete jerk.

The fact of the matter is, talk to any observer of women's college hockey and they will tell you that yesterday's performance against UMD was nothing short of inspiring. UND was one shot away from completing the biggest upset of the college hockey season, in the playoffs no less. The first playoff game in program history.

I've observed UND athletics for nearly 10 years now. That means I've been a witness to six national titles and countless conference titles. I was at yesterday's game. And I've never been more proud of a Fighting Sioux team.

This team will be a force to be reckoned with, just give them a little more time. You can't be the best overnight. This team is still in it's infancy. The pride and success of the University of North Dakota and Grand Forks' hockey tradition will spill over to it's women's team.

I see great things coming in the not so far off future, the Wooster sisters have a season under their belt and Amber Hasbargen is poised to have an incredible senior season, she's been brilliant over the last month. If we can keep the defense healthy, who knows what's in store next year.....

Agreed. And let's not forget that it was until this year - the third year of the progam's existence - that we climbed to half the number of scholarships that every other team has to work with.

Yesterday's game was a classic New England Patriot-like example of a coaching staff devising a game plan against a team with clearly more talent, and each and every player believing in that game plan and leaving it all on the ice.

But I guess, sadly, people like Cratter need more.

Once again, you must remember that Sioux fans are going to lash out at the womens hockey team because we are constantly being asked to dish out more and more $$$$ each year for FSC memberships, tickets and $3 water at the REA when the women are taking a big chunck and bringing in very little $$$$. It is not their fault though and Sioux fans should support all teams when they (nearly) pull off a game like that. Fans should direct their displeasure with the Athletic Dept and not the teams and/or players over these issues. That was one helluva game for the young program yesterday.

Call me crazy,taking the #2 (out of 8) team in the WCHA playoffs to OT and lossing is nothing to brag or be proud about. There is only 31 D1 womens hockey teams, of which few are any good and have a realistic chance of winning a championship (call them the haves and the have nots if you will). The women's first year they were 10-14-2, second year 16-14-2, and now the first year in the WCHA are 9-23-3. Women's collegiate hockey is still in it's infancy and it doesn't take much to make an impact. Taking Duluth to OT means NOTHING. It could simply mean Duluth took the Sioux for granted and they didn't play up to their potential, I think overall regular season records are a better indicator of how a team is doing for the season.

When the men won the WCHA league title in 98-99, they played the tenth place team in the league in the opening round, Mankato, of the WCHA playoffs and LOST :blush: . It didn't make the other team any better. I'm sure they fans were far more happy then because they actually Beat the #1 team in the league. Mankato still hasn't did much in the WCHA or NCAA after that and I think they will continue to do little in the future.

My point being Lossing in OT is nothing to be "proud" about, whether first year, all freshman, no scholarships, or full scholarships veteran filled teams.

That being said I obviously want the women to do well. I am not impressed, but I digress. Please tell me when I will be able to voice my displeasure or say anything not positive about a UND team....4,5,6,7,8, or 9th year of existance???

Wanna clear up your point:

Wow. God forbid your kid ever spills his milk or - GASP - brings home a 'B' on the report card.

All I said winning and taking a team to OT are totally different, which I think would have gotten my point across pretty good.

Because your post completely lacks big-picture perspective.

People aren't proud of the 'loss.' People are proud of the effort - which I witnessed first-hand - and the progress the program has made, as indicated by the result.

Just like your Mankato example, a game like that represents progress, hope and pride. When you're a new program that will admittedly take many lumps in the early years, that is what you focus on. Not Ws and Ls.

A game like yesterday's means those Ws are just around the corner. When we lost 13-0 to UMD just two short years ago, moments like that seemed an eternity away.

It was a team of primarily walk-ons against a team of Olympians and future Olympians, and UND - again, in their first-ever playoff game - came within inches of knocking them off.

At this point in the program's evolution, another singular W or a singular L means nothing in the big picture. You know what, even if we won its doubtful we would've gone much further. But the progress represented by yesterday's game is far more meaningful than a 10th win would've been.

I've observed UND athletics for nearly 10 years now. That means I've been a witness to six national titles and countless conference titles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did they send you a "10 year" pin or anything? :blush::D

If so, I'm still waiting for mine.

Because your post completely lacks big-picture perspective.

People aren't proud of the 'loss.' People are proud of the effort - which I witnessed first-hand - and the progress the program has made, as indicated by the result.

Just like your Mankato example, a game like that represents progress, hope and pride. When you're a new program that will admittedly take many lumps in the early years, that is what you focus on. Not Ws and Ls.

A game like yesterday's means those Ws are just around the corner. When we lost 13-0 to UMD just two short years ago, moments like that seemed an eternity away.

It was a team of primarily walk-ons against a team of Olympians and future Olympians, and UND - again, in their first-ever playoff game - came within inches of knocking them off.

At this point in the program's evolution, another singular W or a singular L means nothing in the big picture. You know what, even if we won its doubtful we would've gone much further. But the progress represented by yesterday's game is far more meaningful than a 10th win would've been.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I then have a quick question. What if the exact same happens next year yet the UND women lose to UMD 15-0? Are "those moments" still an eternity away, or does that make those moments even further away? I think you Canuck may lack "big-picture" perspective.

I then have a quick question. What if the exact same happens next year yet the UND women lose to UMD 15-0?

Well, then...that would be a step back, now, wouldn't it? Lack of relevance aside, how about we worry about that if/when it happens if/when it happens? For now I would like to commed UND's newest program for the progress it has made.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pessimism.

I want to remind people like Cratter and CoteauRinkRat that players also have the ability to read these forums and freedom of speech or not, you might want to take into consideration what you're saying before you spend your life ripping into women half your age.

I'm on the women's team and seeing as how you are incapable of thinking in terms of others' perspectives I'll give you a little inside tip. We had a hell of a year, there were internal issues (as there is on every team) and we had to deal with an embarrassing record. We're not proud of that. It was probably one of the most emotionally draining years we've ever had. Now, taking the burden of our previous record into the playoffs we were fairly aware of what we were up against and our expectations.

I am proud of what we accomplished in that game. I'm also more than disappointed that we were so close and lost. We finally came together as a team and laid it out there. It's something for us to build on and when the women's team does start to win championships even if it's years down the road I'll be more than happy Cratter to slide over and let you share my seat on the bandwagon.

Before you start speculating and assuming the worst about UND's athletes (I've seen your other posts) take into account where you are in life and if you were in the public eye what would we get a chance to say to someone like you.

Call me crazy,taking the #2 (out of 8) team in the WCHA playoffs to OT and lossing is nothing to brag or be proud about.

Minnesota, Minn-Duluth and Wisconsin were 1,2, and 3 in the WCHA and the nation.

I hope they can become a respectable program and get more than 200 fans to attend their games at home.

I know you were being sarcastic, but they averaged over 850 per game this year, and were at #4 in attendance in the nation. Which is a little on the sad side, but a little more than 200 a game.

Bottom line:

I think we all need to remember that you need to stick by your team through thick and thin, it's just part of being a fan. There are better things coming in the future and we witnessed a glimmer of that on Thursday.

Be patient, and when next season comes around, get out there and support your Sioux and quit bitching.

I want to remind people like Cratter and CoteauRinkRat that players also have the ability to read these forums and freedom of speech or not, you might want to take into consideration what you're saying before you spend your life ripping into women half your age.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The men's team is fair game, but not the women's?

I haven't read a post where I personally "ripped" into any of the women players, if I did, I'm sorry, but I don't think I did.

I guess we just won't talk about the women's team on here then.

30 years ago, women's basketball was forgotten while the Sioux men played every game to a packed house at what was then the Fieldhouse. Today ... the women draw as well as the men.

Sometime in the future, I can picture the Sioux women's hockey outdrawing the men. As skills and coaching improve, and as the team becomes competitive, the Big House will fill.

As for today, I'm happy to see the women improving and getting more competitive ...

My guess is that Cratter has:

A/ never been and never will be on a sioux athletic team, and might be a wee bit bitter

B/ they were turned down by one of the women, and it left a bitter and sexually frustrated taste in their mouth.

C/ based their life around meaningless and negative posts just trying to get a rise out of people because their life is meaningless

All of the above?! Most likely. Basically, if you are a sioux fan, you respect all of the teams from swimming and diving to mens hockey, no questions asked. If you don't have anything nice to say about a program that is, NEED I REMIND YOU, just getting off the ground, then keep your mouth shut, and pretend you don't see the form. Until then, you may keep on defining your life by posting on siouxsports, and constantly checking it to see if anyone actually cares about what you have to say. Also, so you know, every athlete who plays for the sioux has to undergo weightlifting, dryland or skating, study tables, regular classes, not to mention pressures from coaches, teammates, profs, themselves etc and most are on campus from as early as 6am to 9pm every day. Whenever you get out of your computer chair and stop eatting your chips, and try to live even a week of what they have to go through, then we'll all give you the liberty to judge them. Until then, keep dreaming of Zach Parise and ps: he's never coming back.

Since you brought it up, I'll say it again. If you look at their 4-2 Sunday game loss against Minnesota and then their 3-2 overtime loss to UM-D in the tourney, it shows that they have some great potential. What this team needed most this year was some consistant play. If they team had not been so streaky they would have been must more competative. If you consider that the team is only loosing 2 seniors and has what sounds like a pretty good recruiting class coming in, this next year should be a great one!!!!! I look forward to them competing for the top half of the conference this next season.