SiouxSports.com Forum

A Sign Of The Future?

bisonguy

Dahlens bypass Sioux, select Bison

By Jeff Kolpack

jkolpack@forumcomm.com

The Forum - 10/23/2002

Their father, Andy, was a standout football player at the University of North Dakota. Their brother, Tyler, is a freshman Sioux linebacker.

Twins Kayla and Katie Dahlen generally grew up in a UND environment. So their Tuesday announcement that they will sign women

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when you're recruited by SCSU, Wayne St College, and NDSU you aren't really shopping for a team that will take you to the postseason anyway.

That said, I'd be surprised if you were able to troll anyone into arguing that being D-IAA is a long-term negative for recruiting. If I were a women's basketball player (which I'm not) I'd rather win even one game in the NCAA Div I tournament and then get eliminated than win the D-II championship. Clearly there are those who disagree with me on that point, though.

Academics played a role. Kayla plans on majoring in pharmacy and Katie is thinking of business administration.

Bisonguy:

Last we looked, where can Kayla major in pharmacy? Could the rest of the article be FORUM Fluff? :p Of course not! :p

Seriously, for Kayla's and Katie's sake, I do hope they find road trips to Centenary, Chicago State, and Oakland University fulfilling.

The implication is pretty clear that since UND was not listed among the finalists, that probably only one of them was offered by UND. It has long been known that they were a "package deal," and it's quite possible that Roebuck didn't want to use two scholarships for two players who play essentially the same position. I wish the Dahlen's well, but I hardly think these commitments signify any sort of trend.

Its the first of many such situations.

Fargo has a bunch of twins coming up through the ranks that play the same position in basketball? And one of them wants to major in pharmacy? And they BOTH want scholarships to the same school?

Maybe Coach Roebuck better change his recruiting philosophy and petition the NDSBHE to add a Pharmacy program to UND.

Too the UND Fans:

The fun is just beginning. Keep that whislting in the dark attitude and you will soon have a fund drive to save your beloved hockey program.

I'm now officially embarrassed to admit that I'm an SDSU grad. azcrying.gif

But now that SDSUFAN mentions it, I think I did hear Dean Blais say something about holding a car wash and bake sale to buy some new pucks. nervous.gifrotfl.gif

PCM:

yeh I bet you send tons of dollars down to Brookings. SO be offically embarassed.

I am offically embarrassed to admit that I am a Norwegian which I am, and that there is a mafia member named Ralph Englestad who has captured the entire campus of UND and is holding it hostage. Now thats something to be embarrassed about. I for one could give a darn about hockey. Its a an expensive sport. I could give darn about Ralph's ice arena. Does UND own the Ice Arena? I dont think so.

We still sell good ice cream cones at the Dairy science building in Brookings. That beats THE ENGLESTAD ICE ARENA, at least the Dairy Science Department is still owned by the SDSU and not some private individual. So we dont have to worry about the ice cream sales receipts down at Brookings like you UND folks have to work about the hockey receipts and where all those dollars are going. Obviously there are no dollars to move the other sports up to D1. Maybe UND and its owner Ralph will end up with one sport, and you guessed it- it will be hockey.

I could give darn about Ralph's ice arena. Does UND own the Ice Arena? I dont think so.

SDSUFAN, you seem to be really hung up on the fact that Ralph still owns the arena. There is a reason why this is so and it's not because Ralph intended it to be that way. I'd like to clue you in, but because you seem to believe that you already know everything, you can continue to wallow in your ignorance and look foolish. You're just so good at it.

UND may not own the building, but beginning in May of 2003 UND will receive all operating profits from it. That's after last year's operating profits were just given over to fund the first season of D-I womens hockey.

Let's see, a building that if it turns a profit the funds are funneled into the UND Athletic Department, and if it loses money it is still privately owned and not affiliated with UND so the losses are someone else's (namely Ralph Engelstad Arena, Inc.).

Why does REA give the profits to UND? Hint: three letters, I-R-S.

Have an ice cream cone. I'll be in the Club Room having an adult beverage.

Sicakota:

Finally some one from UND is explaining what going on up there. Yes I will enjoy my ice cream cone, knowing that the purchase price will be applied to the cost of operating a Dairy Science program at a cow college, the image we are trying to shead.

Could that be an admission that someone doesn't know the whole story but is throwing stones anyway? :p

All I'll say about SDSU's situation is this: The SDSU CSL report says Brookings is in a mid-to-low socio-economic market compared to most of D-I. (That's both the city and the 75-mile region.) That sounds like a huge uphill fiscal battle to me.

The profits from my "beverage" will be in the UND Athletic Department coffers. (They have to be making a profit off what they charge. :p )

• 3 weeks later...
Sicakota:

Finally some one from UND is explaining what going on up there. Yes I will enjoy my ice cream cone, knowing that the purchase price will be applied to the cost of operating a Dairy Science program at a cow college, the image we are trying to shead.

SDSUFAN: The building was originally supposed to be owned by UND, but the state legislature passed a law that said that a building of that sort had to be self sufficient. So Ralph created REA, and will turn the building over (Or give UND effective ownership of the arena) when this is happens. Although, i like the idea that if the building turns a profit it goes to the UND athletic department and if it loses money the losses are covered by REA. Somehow, i don't think the REA will be losing tons of money anytime soon.

U2B1:

This has been explained by others. I guess I had forgotten about the legislation. Ralph no doubt can use the operating losses, and how is tax accountant or accounting staff treat this on his return would be interesting to know, but I guess you got to be a bean counter to really care. I know Ralph has deep deep deep pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me ask a stupid question... Does UND have a wrestling program?

Nope. There are quite a few sports that only one of the schools has exclusively.

For men, NDSU has wrestling, UND has swimming & diving, and ice hockey.

For women, UND has hockey, swimming & diving, and tennis.

I think, also, that when NDSU becomes D-I, indoor/outdoor track will become separate sports.

I believe UND did have a wrestling program up until a few years back when the hockey got a little expensive and some sports were cut. Wrestling being one of them. SDSU got your best wrestler and he did very well for us. I dont recall the name. The point is that I dont think UND fans should be pointing their fingers at NDSU wrestling when in fact you no longer have a program period. So NDSU can't compete for a national title for four years, its better than having no program and not competing at all.

The point is that I dont UND fans should be pointing their fingers at NDSU wrestling when in fact you no longer have a program period.  So NDSU can't compete for a national title for four years, its better than having no program and not competing at all.

Just because an article in the Fargo newspaper happens to be about wrestling doesn't mean Star2City can't quote it because he's a fan of a school without wrestling. Absolutely ridiculous.

UND has won 7 D-I national championships. How many have SDSU or NDSU won? UND has 4 more sports than NDSU. You're barking up the wrong tree on this one, SDSUFAN. I don't think even JBB is going to jump in to Sioux-bash with you on our sports sponsored vs. NDSU's.

Dahl:

I get the feeling I am not welcome here so you can take your board and shove it up your ass.

Ouch. Jim, is the board software stored on a little memory key, or do you have to go get the server's hard drive?

SDSUFAN, the feeling you have of being unwelcome is only because your posts are so abrasive and annoying that you elicit negative responses. If your trying to be funny, it's not working. Nothing personal, you're just coming across as a troll, and getting flamed for it.

Please, stick around. Your moronic ramblings are entertaining.

taz

SDSUFAN, the feeling you have of being unwelcome is only because your posts are so abrasive and annoying that you elicit negative responses. If your trying to be funny, it's not working. Nothing personal, you're just coming across as a troll, and getting flamed for it.

Please, stick around. Your moronic ramblings are entertaining.

taz

This why I am leaving. I resent being referred to as a moron.

My your god father Ralph Englestad rest in peace.