SiouxSports.com Forum

The Division I question...

dakotadan

You know, playing the devils advocate here, but maybe the fact that they're not bidding on the D2 game just means that they don't think they can convince the powers that be in the NCAA into letting them host it there.  North Dakota isn't easy to get to,  and I know the game is indoors and all, But the North Dakota Climate isn't going to be all that attractive to fans from other schools that are prehaps more southernly located.

You could be right.

It could also be that the NCAA doesn't let a DI host a DII championship. (See dakotaboy for the latest conspiriacy theory updates.)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the GF Herald:

North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah - all former Division II schools - already have replied to the same Big Sky expansion questionnaire. The big difference is that the four schools already are Division I.

Who would be the odd school out *if* the BSC expanded by 4 teams AND *if* UND would want to make the move to the BSC?

I vote that SDSU would be the odd school out. UND/NDSU would be natural travel partners. UND has the facilities to move up..they would seem to be the school that is pursued in this expansion along with NDSU. Southern Utah and UNC would travel well within the conference. UNC's facilites will need an upgrade. I know they are working on that issue. I just don't see SDSU as a school that would be of interest in this scenario. :silly:

Question:

Are all of the current BSC members happy there? Are any looking at other options?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is simply a repitition of rumors: Sac State may move to the Big West to be closer to other California schools, rumors abound about Portland State as well, but they really have no serious alternative to the Big Sky

I vote that SDSU would be the odd school out.  UND/NDSU would be natural travel partners.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. It probably doesn't help that SDSU's primary interest in DI is basketball, not football.

And it also explains why NDSU, the Fargo media and Bison fans are suddenly so very interested in UND's intentions.

Davis and Cal-Poly only need/want a football home, though I'm sure they got the same letter UND did.

I also politely disagree with your opinion that UND would be more valuable than SDSU. (first and foremost, let's be inclusive and realize this isn't a necessarily a 2 from the dakotas decision). SDSU has a good football team, very good basketball teams. They also bring the entire state of South Dakota to the table. They are in transition to being Division I.

To be rude: UND has a good/very good football team, good/very good basketball (please believe, the BSC doesn't care about hockey, in fact it might be a liability); UND brings the northern valley; UND has made no commitment to DI (this is especially true as people have read Kupchella's letter, poopooing a conference/division/possible opponents when asking for them to leave the light on for you is NOT SMART).

Also, why did it take UND so long to tell the Big Sky 'if we do go D1 we find the BSC very interesting'?

I personally think Southern Utah would be the odd man out. I also think SDSU is more attractive than UNC, as I don't think the Bears will make the commitment to football (this is just my opinion). I think the Big Sky would have taken SUU already if they had a legitimate chance. Here's how I see the future Big Sky (if in fact UND does go DI).

NDSU-UND

SDSU-UNC

Montana-Montana St.

Eastern Washington-Idaho State

Weber State-Northern Arizona

Sac. St.-Portland St.

The only problem with this scenario is that there are 4 provisional schools in one of the divisions. Also, with UND being two years behind the SU's and three behind UNC this would have a negative effect on the Montana schools RPI (I'm thinking basketball) moreso than the Eastern schools since the Bobcats and Grizzlies would play these 4 schools twice.

The only problem with this scenario is that there are 4 provisional schools in one of the divisions.  Also, with UND being two years behind the SU's and three behind UNC this would have a negative effect on the Montana schools RPI (I'm thinking basketball) moreso than the Eastern schools since the Bobcats and Grizzlies would play these 4 schools twice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't it more or less a foregone conclusion that you have to win the Big Sky tournament to get an NCAA basketball tournament bid? It may have happened in the past, but I honestly don't recall the BSC ever getting an at-large bid. With that in mind, does the RPI really mean all that much in a conference like the Big Sky?

SDSU has a good football team, very good basketball teams.  They also bring the entire state of South Dakota to the table.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SDSU does not have a good football team (unless beating the Bison is the only standard of measure). Its basketball teams were good at the Division II level, but hardly dominant. And SDSU does not "bring the the entire state of South Dakota to the table." There are plenty of USD fans in the state who don't give a fig about what SDSU does.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again. NDSU and UND are logical travel partners. SDSU and NDSU are not.

Under no circumstances do I believe that UND will be admitted to the Big Sky during their March meeting.

The best that can be hoped for is that the Conference encourages them to move and pay the piper in no mans land. Then if UND makes the move they may get a 'surprise' of early admittance in 2007.

I believe the conference got burned in the late 90's with a potential member not cutting muster, once bitten, twice shy.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again. NDSU and UND are logical travel partners. SDSU and NDSU are not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SDSU did very well in its inaugural season in DIAA. They beat Southern and yes, the Bison. How did UND do against SDSU, Southern, or NDSU this year? It's basketball teams weren't dominant? the women won the national championship in 02-03 and the north central region the last three years. the men won the ncc three times under their current coach and have been in the regional eight of the last nine years.

I don't see how the difference of a hundred miles takes SDSU off the plate when you add a radio/tv audience of 400-500k? (By the way Grand Forks adds 0, you're lucky that ABC continues to partition off the northern part of the valley)

How did UND do against SDSU, Southern, or NDSU this year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a great point. Real witty. :silly: All we can do is go back to 2003 and see how UND did against those teams. :lol: Southern sucks. Don't ever bring them up in a conversation again. SDSU is average at football, please quit comparing them to UND in football, also. You should compare them to NDSU--how do they stack up against you guys? Did you guys play this year?

exactly my point, pcm. I wouldn't say anything about SDSU/UND this year, you guys didn't play. Nor would I make conjectures about any games that didn't take place.

I will however, state as an opinion, that SDSU has a respectable football team. They beat a top 25 team at home and nearly beat a top 25 team away (Poly). What was UND's record against DIAA teams? Maybe you should reference Kupchella's hate mail to degrade DIAA in it's entirety, I'm sure that Doug Fullerton really enjoyed reading it.

SDSU did very well in its inaugural season in DIAA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't care how well SDSU did this season. Historically, they've been average at best in football. One season didn't transform the Jacks into a DI-AA football powerhouse.

exactly my point, pcm.  I wouldn't say anything about SDSU/UND this year, you guys didn't play.  Nor would I make conjectures about any games that didn't take place.

I will however, state as an opinion, that SDSU has a respectable football team.  They beat a top 25 team at home and nearly beat a top 25 team away (Poly).  What was UND's record against DIAA teams?  Maybe you should reference Kupchella's hate mail to degrade DIAA in it's entirety, I'm sure that Doug Fullerton really enjoyed reading it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not playing 1-AA teams was really stupid wasn't it? I believe it was all you Bison fans that told us that playing them would not hurt us getting into the playoffs and we are just afraid to play them. The only reason we got in was cause of the points we got for playing D2 teams that had records that got us the points we needed.

Back to my age old argument---this year NDSU and SDSU were D1-AA caliber teams? No, you weren't. You were just D2 last year and now all the sudden 9 months later you are a legit D1-AA team that is better than a lowly D2 team. And it means more to play a "D1-AA" team than to play a D2 team? We beat you last year and we would've been just as good as you this year.

Only difference is our Athletic Director didn't tell us we are now D1-AA.

One quick question UND-1.  What was NDSU ranked at the end of the season?

Keep telling yourself whatever you want, but be careful as you might end up following the path you have berated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was really wise, but what does it have to do with what I said?

SDSU did have a respectable football team. They have a respectable football team nearly every year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll grant you that in DII, SDSU consistently fielded teams that that couldn't be taken for granted. They usually weren't the worst in the NCC, but they were seldom among the best. If that's what you mean by "respectable," then I agree.

I'll grant you that in DII, SDSU consistently fielded teams that that couldn't be taken for granted. They usually weren't the worst in the NCC, but they were seldom among the best. If that's what you mean by "respectable," then I agree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's all I was saying. I'd call them respectable in the same sense that Augie usually is. It was never easy to win in Brookings, and it's very rarely easy to win in Sioux Falls. But obviously SDSU has far more resources than does Augie, or some other NCC schools, which makes it all the more puzzling how they managed to go roughly 40 years without an NCC title, and 24 years without a playoff appearance. Being an alum, you probably know far more about SDSU than most of us. Any theories? Has their administration just historically placed a lower importance on football than some other similarly situated schools?

i think most everyone believes that UND WOULD field a good DIAA team

as far as SDSU, that's why i called them good, not great, just good

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So SDSU and UND are at the same level? Both good. That is insulting. It is exactly why I asked, you NDSU fans think you guys are already a great D1-AA team. You think you are better than UND don't you? C'mon just come out and say it. We all caught on to your subtle jab there with the "good" thing.

So what kind of team is NDSU? Great? Unbelievable?