SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

curious1, you are correct that this year and a few of the past years he has had some talent.

But what is real scary is next years team, the cupboards are BARE. Only the point looks real strong with Doyle probably starting and Nobles at the two with Harkins and Nobles backing Doyle up. The post is real scary as UNDFan pointed out, nobody is ready and the starters aren't so great themselves.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this excerpt from the Green Bay newspaper, it doesn't sound like things went too well for Tyler Koenig this year:

One player facing a crossroads is sophomore forward Tyler Koenig. The muscular 6-foot-8 Koenig started the season's first 20 games but failed to make even a minimal impact, averaging just 4.0 points and 2.8 rebounds. His role diminished as the season went on and he played just three minutes in Saturday's finale.

Koenig was a coveted high school recruit, averaging 23 points and 13 rebounds at Fargo (North Dakota) North, where he was the state's two-time player of the year. But he has been a disappointment at UWGB.

"He can certainly improve his skill level," said Kowalczyk. "If he wants to play, he's going to have to do that."

if you were the head coach and had a perceived problem with a player...why go to the paper and air your dirty laundry....keep it in house....no wonder if Koenig left UWGB...if he does...if his skill level isnt improving from his freshman season....who is to be held accountable for that??? his coach maybe???

The Koenig rumor regarding his transfer out of UW-Green Bay appears to be more than a rumor this year. He will likely get his release within the next few days.

Both UND and NDSU are interested in him. Obviously, he could play right away and play for "something" for the next two years at UND as opposed to sitting out a year at SU. I have no idea but I would guess that he will end up at one of the ND schools.

The Koenig rumor regarding his transfer out of UW-Green Bay appears to be more than a rumor this year.  He will likely get his release within the next few days. 

Both UND and NDSU are interested in him.  Obviously, he could play right away and play for "something" for the next two years at UND as opposed to sitting out a year at SU.  I have no idea but I would guess that he will end up at one of the ND schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He could also play football and might get an extra year.

The Koenig rumor regarding his transfer out of UW-Green Bay appears to be more than a rumor this year.  He will likely get his release within the next few days. 

Both UND and NDSU are interested in him.  Obviously, he could play right away and play for "something" for the next two years at UND as opposed to sitting out a year at SU.  I have no idea but I would guess that he will end up at one of the ND schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Koenig has good personal relationships with coaches at both schools, it will be interesting to see what happens with him. He could either have a chance to play right away at UND, with the possibility of playoffs, or he could redshirt at NDSU and have two more years against DI competition with a chance to "prove himself".

Good luck to him either way :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like he found out his grant will not be renewed today. The WDAY 10:00 sports reported they talked to a friend of Koenig's, and he is considering UND. No word about NDSU, but sitting one year might be a factor.

wait a minute. ....there were bison fans on here saying they didnt want him....they had two good big men that are red shirting....now bison fans are on here saying they would like him....come on...like was said in a earlier post...it will be brought to his attention what bison fans are saying about him....without a doubt...

wait a minute. ....there were bison fans on here saying they didnt want him....they  had two good big men that are red shirting....now bison fans are on here saying they would like him....come on...like was said in a earlier post...it will be brought to his attention what bison fans are saying about him....without a doubt...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One Bison fan (no 's') stated Koenig would have to sit a year and wouldn't start.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with. :D

There are probably more compelling reasons for Koenig to transfer to UND than NDSU. His UW-GB bio states he hasn't decided on a major yet- that might also be a determining factor on where he decides to transfer (the student portion of student-athlete).

I was really the only Bison fan opposed to him coming here, and the reasons were that it would probably be better for him to go to UND. Since he could play right away and it wouldn't be a sure thing for him starting even after he sat out a year at NDSU. The only reasons I could see him coming to NDSU is because his freinds and family are here or if he is serious about playing football. I think he has some talent and could make an impact on either team if he ever reaches the level of potential he had during high school. And I also said that NDSU only has a couple scholarships left to give out and since the team will be so young they could really use a couple of impact players from the JUCO level that they could give NDSU some depth and expeirence right away.

What is that supposed to mean?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Koenig was a solid high school football player and had a fair amount of DI offers form what I heard and if he wanted to play football NDSU would be a clear choice since he wouldn't have to sit out and would have 3 years of eligiblity. And since NDSU is playoff ineligable there would be less overlap between football and basketball seasons making it easier for him to play both sports if he wanted to do so.

At this time of year, I don't think there would be any football scholarship money left at UND. I don't know about NDSU, but getting anything close to a full ride might be difficult there, as well. Conversely, he would likely have no trouble getting a full scholarship to play basketball at either school. I don't think there's much question that his football upside is huge, but from purely a financial perspective he'd probably be better off doing what Chad Mustard did. Mustard played four years of college basketball on a full scholarship, then used his last two semesters of eligibility to play football for two seasons.

at 6'8 250, he would be a nice target at TE. I agree that he could still get a full for BB at either UND or NDSU. Also, I think NDSU still has around 2-3 FB scholies, Bohl said they were at 60 after signing day, and that he was holding on to a few in case they had a chance at impact transfers.

at 6'8 250, he would be a nice target at TE.  I agree that he could still get a full for BB at either UND or NDSU.  Also, I think NDSU still has around 2-3 FB scholies,  Bohl said they were at 60 after signing day, and that he was holding on to a few in case they had a chance at impact transfers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reading between the lines I surmise that Mr. Koenig has not played to his potential. That would make him a perfect candidate for Glas's hoops program.

I know they have offered him a scholarship - not sure if it is a full ride or not.  I would think that he would want to play closer to home.  If no one else is after him, NCC or NSIC schools, I guess that must mean that he isn't that great of a recruit!  Any other thoughts?

I think we are offering about 1/2 a full ride.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know minnesotapreps.com had Gunhus ranked as the 7th best senior in Minnesota prior to this season--ahead of players like Vaughn, Pennick, Sussenguth and Gossen. I haven't ever actually seen him play, but he's apparently a good shooter and can put the ball in the basket. I would think he'd be worth at least a half scholarship, and since he's apparently an excellent student, he'd likely get the other half paid for in academic scholarship(s).

On last nights Fox Sports show Koenig made it sound like he was going to UND. He said he was going to talk with both UND & SU coaches, but that he had lost enough playing time already and being able to play right away without having to sit out a year was "extremely important". I think he's already made up his mind. If I remember right, he also mentioned the facilities.