SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Game Day - NDSU vs UND at Alerus Center

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I think he was planning on running and his lane got clogged up sooner than he expected, and he panicked.  The coaches have been encouraging him to run - learning experience.

I would have preferred if he ran and slid. Good opportunity for a late hate on the slide there.

2 hours ago, homer said:

I agree.  That is a possession that teams like NDSU get a field goal and just change the energy if a game right before halftime.  They have done that for years.  It was another missed opportunity on Saturday during that game.  

I know Mussman teams aren’t super popular in these parts but his teams always ran a really nice 2 min offense. It usually looked better than the real offense even. Would’ve been nice to execute at that level to get some points.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Goon said:

To be honest with you, I was shocked they actually ran that play. I thought it was the turning point in the game and they failed. It was not a great effort at all and the NDSU d-line played tough all day long. If you're going for it on fourth down, use a high percentage play. I would've run a halfback dive with Smith. His first step is incredibly fast. I really like his game. I actually think he might have a better upside than Weah. 

As mentioned earlier, this was the first 3rd/4th and short that QV has not converted on the last two seasons.
After the Drake game, with the fumbles and him getting dinged up, It is fair game to question, but not because it wasn't a high percentage play. It has converted every time when called upon in those exact situations.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

As mentioned earlier, this was the first 3rd/4th and short that QV has not converted on the last two seasons.
After the Drake game, with the fumbles and him getting dinged up, It is fair game to question, but not because it wasn't a high percentage play. It has converted every time when called upon in those exact situations.

The reason I thought it was a low percentage play was it looks as if QV is still banged up and their d-line wasn't giving up much up front. 

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I think he was planning on running and his lane got clogged up sooner than he expected, and he panicked.  The coaches have been encouraging him to run - learning experience.

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I would have preferred if he ran and slid. Good opportunity for a late hate on the slide there.

He was getting hit by the defender who had previously been covering Belquist about half a second after letting the ball go. He stepped up like he was going to scramble and the defender left BB and came directly at him. That's when he made the decision to try to lob it. Just floated it too much. Again, not the kind of throw he ever makes that puts the ball in danger. Just one of those things.

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He had a few options on that play.

Tuck it and turn upfield and slide. Would be 4th and short and we can decide to either take the lead or go for it on 4th and short.

Tuck it and turn upfield and try and get the first down. He either gets it or we make a decicison to either go for it on 4th down or kick the FG for the lead.

Keep moving to the right(he had time and space) and hopefully the receiver moves with him and gives him an open lane to throw the ball.

Throw it away. Kick FG to take the lead.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know Mussman teams aren’t super popular in these parts but his teams always ran a really nice 2 min offense. It usually looked better than the real offense even. Would’ve been nice to execute at that level to get some points.

Muss's teams seemingly had all the scholarship money on offense. Fun to watch from a playstation aspect but knowing you probably had to score 40+ to have a chance to win was a little tough to buy into.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In one of the earlier games this year we lined up a TE or someone with size in the backfield and when QV was on top of the pile he came and pushed him from behind to get an extra yard  or so.  I assumed that was part of the formation/play and thought it was creative.  We didn't do that in this situation and am wondering if the earlier TE push was ad lib but if we'd done it here we probably get the first down.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I'd look at the present state of the program given the hand he was dealt with the inherited roster, funding, facilities, and local competition.  He built a top ten team while recruiting guys to play out of a locker room in damn near the swimming pool!

They key part of that was "on Saturday".  Rate his performance for that game.   I agree that he has upped the program while dealing with crappy facilities.  I like some of the talent we have coming up.  However, his performance on Saturday was not good at all and has happened enough to be a pattern.  He is not a good game day coach - especially for big games.  The 4th down call cost us big time.  We finally had a chance to shut up the Bison and blew it.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, petey23 said:

He had a few options on that play.

Tuck it and turn upfield and slide. Would be 4th and short and we can decide to either take the lead or go for it on 4th and short.

Tuck it and turn upfield and try and get the first down. He either gets it or we make a decicison to either go for it on 4th down or kick the FG for the lead.

Keep moving to the right(he had time and space) and hopefully the receiver moves with him and gives him an open lane to throw the ball.

Throw it away. Kick FG to take the lead.

I don't think he had the room to run upfield or to the right.
He definitely had an option to just go down or throw it into the ground though
I'd be interested to see the view from the end zone cameras to see if he maybe didn't even see the safety (blocked by the linebackers). Other than the ball slipping out of his hands, that's about the only other explanation I can think of.
Regardless, was still a killer mistake by a QB who historically doesn't make them. Frustrating.

19 minutes ago, Irish said:

They key part of that was "on Saturday".  Rate his performance for that game.   I agree that he has upped the program while dealing with crappy facilities.  I like some of the talent we have coming up.  However, his performance on Saturday was not good at all and has happened enough to be a pattern.  He is not a good game day coach - especially for big games.  The 4th down call cost us big time.  We finally had a chance to shut up the Bison and blew it.

That 4th down playcall (QB sneak) was very questionable, probably just flat out wrong, but it was only one play. Did it shift momentum and probably cost UND the game to a degree - sure, but there are more than a single one play during football games that determine the outcome. 

Can you blame Bubba for Schuster’s interception, the failed 4th down attempt by the offense in the 4th quarter, or the missed holding call on the half yard line?

Are you taking into account how Bubba - in 6 months with largely the same roster - went from losing to the bizon 34-13 to losing just 10-16? Trust me, no moral victories and UND ultimately needs to be beat NDSU soon or else …

*BUT*

there is no doubt this program has ascended under Bubba, particularly since he got rid of Rudolph and promoted Freund in 2018. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think he had the room to run upfield or to the right.
He definitely had an option to just go down or throw it into the ground though
I'd be interested to see the view from the end zone cameras to see if he maybe didn't even see the safety (blocked by the linebackers). Other than the ball slipping out of his hands, that's about the only other explanation I can think of.
Regardless, was still a killer mistake by a QB who historically doesn't make them. Frustrating.

Tough throw but he might have had a shot at Richter over streaking up the sideline. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not in the business of Monday (or in this case Tuesday) Morning Quarterbacking. Hindsight is 20/20. Learn from it, move on, beat South Dakota.

I don’t disagree but I’m also not the one that needs to learn from it. I just saw the highlight and noticed that. Message boards are about everyday armchair quarterbacking.  

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Doesn't seem like this is the 1st time QV2 hasn't converted in short yardage.  The entire sampling on him running the football isn't good.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Doesn't seem like this is the 1st time QV2 hasn't converted in short yardage.  The entire sampling on him running the football isn't good.

It works every time except when it doesn't.

Something that I thought on that 4th down, what a chance to sneak the TE out quick on play action (4th down play against USD in 2011 that went for a TD), bootleg, or even that jump pass we see every once in a great while. Everyone knew what was coming, try something different and fresh. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Irish said:

You flat out said Bubba is stupid.  There is a difference between someone being stupid, and someone making a stupid decision.  You flat out calling Bubba stupid....was stupid, but you yourself are probably not stupid.   I do think the decision to go for it on 4th down on our 20 was stupid.  There, I've now used up my quota for using the word stupid for the rest of the year.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

You flat out said Bubba is stupid.  There is a difference between someone being stupid, and someone making a stupid decision.  You flat out calling Bubba stupid....was stupid, but you yourself are probably not stupid.   I do think the decision to go for it on 4th down on our 20 was stupid.  There, I've now used up my quota for using the word stupid for the rest of the year.  

Point taken - I guess I am just super frustrated.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NoDaks said:

Something that I thought on that 4th down, what a chance to sneak the TE out quick on play action (4th down play against USD in 2011 that went for a TD), bootleg, or even that jump pass we see every once in a great while. Everyone knew what was coming, try something different and fresh. 

THIS. 

Or remember at the end of the Idaho State game when we went for two when we were already up big.  That was a totally unique play and the guy was wide open.  Not 100% sure that one works in middle of the field, but the yardage needed was the same. Still think we should have saved that two point conversion play for when we really really needed a 2 point conversion, not to put us up 21 instead of 20. 

Just now, Mama Sue said:
On 10/3/2021 at 10:12 PM, bison73 said:

Conspiracy????? :D  :whistling:

3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Mods close thread please

Bubba is not stupid and I am offended…the new buzz word of 2021. Comments like this are not helping the program…. We all have a right to express our opinion but not to publicly defame someone. I am sure many of us would like to go back and change something we have done…let’s focus on the next game!

• Upvote 1