SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Game Day - NDSU vs UND at Alerus Center

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

19 hours ago, Cratter said:

Confirmed.

Horrible fake punt sealed the game.

I wish they would've ran a fake punt there. Instead we sent out the punt team and then attempted to go nose to nose up the middle against ndsu. That's a losing recipe. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I wish they would've ran a fake punt there. Instead we sent out the punt team and then attempted to go nose to nose up the middle against ndsu. That's a losing recipe. 

The other frustrating part is they didn’t have a returner back.  We had the opportunity to boom a punt, maybe get a bounce for additional yardage and flip the field back in our favor. Head scratcher today for sure.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TinyTimmay said:

Does the Alerus put together that intro video for the football team too? Because that thing was worse than the sound system. I notice you didn’t say anything about that. And if you’ve read any of my previous posts in years past you would know I’ve been to the Ralph a lot. Used to follow UND hockey pretty closely, may have even been more to Final 5s than you but I guess it doesn’t really matter. 

And of course your fans are quiet on offense, thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious. I was just curious if maybe noise from the opposing fans was noticeable and made a difference. It sounded decently loud but I was also in a predominantly NDSU fan section. 

I personally like seeing freshman allowed on the field and able to participate up close like that. Limit the scoring and you’d see the flags less often ;)

Check previous post about giving UND credit, and not expecting that game to turn out the way it did….other than the Bison walking away with a win, I expected that. 

So yeah, see ya next year. I’ll see myself out. 

Ndsu fans, for their numbers, were relatively loud, but there weren't enough of you to really make a difference (surprising to me and kudos to UND fans). The UND false starts were all due to nerves rather than noise, if that's what you were asking. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ndsu fans, for their numbers, were relatively loud, but there weren't enough of you to really make a difference (surprising to me and kudos to UND fans). The UND false starts were all due to nerves rather than noise, if that's what you were asking. 

It was hilarious to see how she’ll shocked some of those NDSU cocks were most of the game. At a certain point they started to forget to do their first down chant from time to time. They were shook.

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It was hilarious to see how she’ll shocked some of those NDSU cocks were most of the game. At a certain point they started to forget to do their first down chant from time to time. They were shook.

Imagine how good it would feel if we had won - and should have but for Bubba's poor decisions and the lack of discipline and poor play-calling by our OC.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I will be there next weekend although I question whether I should go beings I went in 2017 when we got stomped. 

Next weeks game is huge, it's always tough playing down at USD.  Will the team curl up, or will they come out swinging and get the W we've gotta have.  

4 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I don’t think we used Otis enough. He almost broke a few. Need to feed him especially on short downs!

I guess this shows why the OC will always get criticized.  You and others are thinking we needed to feed it to Weah more on short yardage.  The other half of us are saying....why the hell are we running Weah up the middle on 3rd and short (and 2nd and short against Utah State), our interior OL is our weak point and running up the middle on short yardage has not worked!  IMO. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

Imagine how good it would feel if we had won - and should have but for Bubba's poor decisions and the lack of discipline and poor play-calling by our OC.  

There is so much more to the loss than the 4th down calls. Schuster wasn’t sharp. He made some good plays but wasn’t as sharp as usual. Terrible pass to Bison DB was huge. We were moving ball and likely would have come away with 3 if not 7.  Players need to play. Can’t recall good players blaming coaches for anything and everything that goes wrong when I played but these are different times. Those who always blame coaches and whose solution is to fire everyone usually are folks I would never want to go to war with. We are early in the season, played hard yesterday in a game we could have and many of us think should have won. We regroup, heal up, fix our mistakes and move on. We win or lose win the guys we have. I like this staff, I like these kids and where we are headed. It was a great atmosphere, and a good game. There is plenty of room for improvement and plenty we have done to be optimistic about where the program is headed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Maag plays so soft now though. He was best as a fr and soph somehow. He’s just not a dude.

And same goes for Quincy Vaughn. HE IS NOT A POWER RUNNER FOR FUCKS SAKE! Stop pretending he’s anything but a pocket passer. He has no power when he runs. He stops the second he meets resistance. If they wanted to get those two yards against a good DL they should’ve given it to Otis. He can at least break a damn tackle.

Yesterday was the first short yard conversion they've missed with him. 

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There is so much more to the loss than the 4th down calls. Schuster wasn’t sharp. He made some good plays but wasn’t as sharp as usual. Terrible pass to Bison DB was huge. We were moving ball and likely would have come away with 3 if not 7.  Players need to play. Can’t recall good players blaming coaches for anything and everything that goes wrong when I played but these are different times. Those who always blame coaches and whose solution is to fire everyone usually are folks I would never want to go to war with. We are early in the season, played hard yesterday in a game we could have and many of us think should have won. We regroup, heal up, fix our mistakes and move on. We win or lose win the guys we have. I like this staff, I like these kids and where we are headed. It was a great atmosphere, and a good game. There is plenty of room for improvement and plenty we have done to be optimistic about where the program is headed. 

Thanks for this post. Was thinking of writing something like this myself. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Terrible pass to Bison DB was huge.

For those pinning the loss squarely on the coaches, This play had nothing to do with coaching or coaches, and was just as crucial to the outcome of the game.  Win together, lose together. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy's throw during a split second decision was poor to be kind and it cost the team potential points.

Bubba's decision with time to process the situation at that point within the context of the game and make the call he did borders on stupidity and ignorance. It gave NDSU points, momentum and basically the game. 

Just my opinion and pretty much everyone else in our section.

Agree completely.  Players need to make plays, but coaches need to put them in the most favorable situations to be successful.

if we would’ve still been ahead, would Tommy have forced that throw? Also, would our offense have even tried throwing in that situation if we would have still been ahead?  

Tommy made a costly mistake.  But if our coach wouldn’t have made the dumbest decision in the history of sports, maybe Tommy wouldn’t have felt the pressure dialed up on him to make something happen. 

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Agree completely.  Players need to make plays, but coaches need to put them in the most favorable situations to be successful.

if we would’ve still been ahead, would Tommy have forced that throw? Also, would our offense have even tried throwing in that situation if we would have still been ahead?  

Tommy made a costly mistake.  But if our coach wouldn’t have made the dumbest decision in the history of sports, maybe Tommy wouldn’t have felt the pressure dialed up on him to make something happen. 

If a QB doesn’t “have a very short memory” he will struggle. Schuster won’t win games for us but he hadn’t been losing games. The 4th down call was long past and we are moving the ball deep in their territory. Everything in the minds of players needs to be do their assignment and get the first down. No excuses. 

I am not as technical and knowledgeable as most here. But if I can see a play and question it, then I know it is obvious. I will NOT mention names or games….but at one point I said to myself “that kid was paid off.”  There is no doubt in my mind that these things can happen in sports. Not to coaches…..
Let’s just leave this 4th down for what it is. We can’t go back snd hind sight is 20/20. But it isn’t like we have had 2 years of converting on 4th downs either.