Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ James Madison Sunday May 2nd 5:00 PM Central Quarterfinals


SiouxFan100
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

carson has one year to prove himself or he's done....easton is a dime a dozen...and mr lance will be getting a lot of money to play against non-directional teams.

What does non directional teams mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

What does non directional teams mean?

he won't being southern illinois or western illinois or northern iowa....Los Angeles, Arizona, and Denver to name a few

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

he won't being southern illinois or western illinois or northern iowa....Los Angeles, Arizona, and Denver to name a few

So your post reads, he’ll be getting a lot of money to play against NFL teams? Umm...yes...he’s in the NFL now.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

So your post reads, he’ll be getting a lot of money to play against NFL teams? Umm...yes...he’s in the NFL now.

for a couple of years...yeah...no fifth year option imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

for a couple of years...yeah...no fifth year option imo

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

All known information is to the contrary so you’d have to admit you’re being slightly biased.

On the other two, Stick was drafted to be a career backup. That’s what fifth rounders are for.

Wentz being drafted so highly makes the expectations very high obviously, but even with those expectations he’s done enough to not be listed as a bust IMO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

All known information is to the contrary so you’d have to admit you’re being slightly biased.

On the other two, Stick was drafted to be a career backup. That’s what fifth rounders are for.

Wentz being drafted so highly makes the expectations very high obviously, but even with those expectations he’s done enough to not be listed as a bust 

Yeah I don't quite get the criticism of Stick. He isn't paid to be a franchise QB lol.

I get that things went south in a hurry in Philly. But when I think of a bust, he doesn't really fit there. Busts don't get contract extensions...much less over a hundred million dollars lol.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

 

Yeah I don't quite get the criticism of Stick. He isn't paid to be a franchise QB lol.

I get that things went south in a hurry in Philly. But when I think of a bust, he doesn't really fit there. Busts don't get contract extensions...much less over a hundred million dollars lol.

had bizon buddy's saying stick was better than carson...just like zeb is better than trey who is better than carson who is better than..............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

had bizon buddy's saying stick was better than carson...just like zeb is better than trey who is better than carson who is better than..............

“Better” can mean a lot of things.

Easton was objectively better than Carson in college.  Statistically better in nearly every category. 
 

Being “better” for the nfl is a very different conversation.

Tim Tebow is considered by many to be the greatest college QB ever, but his game doesn’t translate as well to the nfl where they put a premium on a different skill set. 
 

Easton isn’t your ideal NFL QB, but his intelligence and ability to know what he is and what he isn’t, I believe will translate into a decent career as a backup in the nfl. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21:38 UND TOP 

UND 1st UND25 15:00 14:03 INT 3-5 0:57
UND 1st UND25 10:49 9:00 PUNT 3-1 1:49
UND 1st JMU39 9:00 7:42 PUNT 3-5 1:18
UND 1st UND25 0:30 13:12 TD 6-75 2:18
UND 2nd UND30 10:12 7:56 INT 6-26 2:16
UND 2nd UND09 5:08 1:40 TD 10-91 3:28
UND 3rd UND17 10:47 7:09 PUNT 7-26 3:38
UND 3rd UND20 2:16 0:00 PUNT 5-33 2:16
UND 4th UND10 9:59 6:39 TD 9-90 3:20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Am I the only one who remembers having QBs who often missed swing passes? Not that long ago. This year it was never an issue.

I remember it well.  Often is almost an understatement.  I think it was rare to see one completed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

To consistently compete with NDSU, SDSU, JMU (Who I consider the three best in the country) this is what we need to improve on and we are there:

1.) Kicking and Punting. Still not sold we have a place kicking game that will hold up when it needs to. Punting well that was atrocious.

2.) Bigger Inside DL. Whether that's finding a couple new dudes or simply packing on the pounds of some of the dudes we have.

Honest to God that is all I see. WRs are deep and plenty talented. Would love to get a true burner that can take the top off, but let's be real, most of those dudes for FBS. Maybe find on in the portal? It can't be a one trick pony type WR though where all he could do was go deep.. That's not hard to pick up on....

I agree we have a good group of WR and will benefit from bigger linemen (as long as they aren’t slow). Our kicking game was better. The JMU game we had a couple of kicks into end zone. I thought despite the couple of missed XPs FG kicking was also better. The one thing about our punting was they were seldom returned for many if any yards. Room for improvement certainly. Most teams punters were 5-10yds longer than ours. Our punters should be going to a punting camp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

21:38 UND TOP 

UND 1st UND25 15:00 14:03 INT 3-5 0:57
UND 1st UND25 10:49 9:00 PUNT 3-1 1:49
UND 1st JMU39 9:00 7:42 PUNT 3-5 1:18
UND 1st UND25 0:30 13:12 TD 6-75 2:18
UND 2nd UND30 10:12 7:56 INT 6-26 2:16
UND 2nd UND09 5:08 1:40 TD 10-91 3:28
UND 3rd UND17 10:47 7:09 PUNT 7-26 3:38
UND 3rd UND20 2:16 0:00 PUNT 5-33 2:16
UND 4th UND10 9:59 6:39 TD 9-90 3:20

You just despise our offense dont you?  Interesting.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You just despise our offense dont you?  Interesting.  

Actually quite the opposite, Danny  has done a great job overall matching the offense to our personnel.   
Not sure why posting a drive chart makes me someone who hates our offense.

I am sure the staff will do some serious self evaluation on all phases. 
 

The two questions I would have for Danny are why we didn’t run Otis more the last 3 games(13 carries per game) and how will we attack an 8 man box going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Football is the ultimate team game and the while not dominating the game, the UND defense played well enough to win.  If UND goes up 7-3 after the muffed punt or even is tied at 3, it changes the dynamics of the game.  I thought the D came up with 3 huge stops in the game:

After the fumble/INT on first drive

after the 2nd INT

and the first drive of the 2nd half.

IMO, if we score TD after muffed punt or TD on first drive of 2nd half we win the game.

If ...

if ...

if ...

always can play that game. 

UND is close to being a championship team, but needs better athletes at defensive line, safety, backup running back (behind Otis and Skokna), and receiver (to stretch the field). Offensive line was good but need to take another step to be great.
 

QB is not the issue - UND has chance to have 4 year starting QB that will get better and better each season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:


UND is close to being a championship team, but needs better athletes at defensive line, safety, backup running back (behind Otis and Skokna), and receiver (to stretch the field). Offensive line was good but need to take another step to be great.
 

QB is not the issue - UND has chance to have 4 year starting QB that will get better and better each season. 

While I always appreciate your opinions on all things UND football, I find your thoughts on on this post fascinating.  You make the case that UND needs to improve its athletes at DL, S, RB behind Otis, add a WR to stretch the field and improve the OL.  I would agree with all those thoughts to varying degrees.  

The part I don't understand is the "QB is not the issue"?  I would say with the evolution of offensive football the QB position has never been more important, as NDSU found out this spring.  YOu thoughts are the QB performance in both those games was good enough to win?  It seems like you are not judging the QB performance with the same critical eye on improvement you are judging some of the other positions.

That being said,  if you were to rate the UND QB performance in the game at Fargo and at JMU on a scale of 1(better off going wildcat) to 10(QB took the team on his back and won the game for UND), where would you put that performance?  

Both the games are on youtube.  

QB stats in both games:

NDSU: 13-26 for 143 yard with 1 TD and 1 INT, 1 carry for 3 yards.

JMU: 16-26 for 213 yards with 0 TD and 2 INT, 3 carries for 16 yards.

TOP at NDSU was 23:23

TOP at JMU was 21:38

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

While I always appreciate your opinions on all things UND football, I find your thoughts on on this post fascinating.  You make the case that UND needs to improve its athletes at DL, S, RB behind Otis, add a WR to stretch the field and improve the OL.  I would agree with all those thoughts to varying degrees.  

The part I don't understand is the "QB is not the issue"?  I would say with the evolution of offensive football the QB position has never been more important, as NDSU found out this spring.  YOu thoughts are the QB performance in both those games was good enough to win?  It seems like you are not judging the QB performance with the same critical eye on improvement you are judging some of the other positions.

That being said,  if you were to rate the UND QB performance in the game at Fargo and at JMU on a scale of 1(better off going wildcat) to 10(QB took the team on his back and won the game for UND), where would you put that performance?  

Both the games are on youtube.  

QB stats in both games:

NDSU: 13-26 for 143 yard with 1 TD and 1 INT, 1 carry for 3 yards.

JMU: 16-26 for 213 yards with 0 TD and 2 INT, 3 carries for 16 yards.

TOP at NDSU was 23:23

TOP at JMU was 21:38

Simply put, UND had serviceable play out of a freshman quarterback. He should naturally get better each and every season. I don’t panic when I see the poise and delivery that freshman Tommy Schuster delivered this season. He will get better, especially with better athletes around him. 
 

Now, are there better players/QBs out there? Of course. One could always envision a stronger armed, faster, bigger player at the QB position, but it is important to not spend too much finite amount of time on QB when there are definitely bigger holes within UND’s roster. I think it is important that UND continues to recruit to the QB position, which Freund will do, and they have done by bringing in Feeney from Moorhead. As a comparison, Paul Rudolph was awful for und as offensive coordinator largely because the qb position was an afterthought. Freund is doing just the opposite. But let’s not panic with Schuster, he certainly did well for his first year starting and potentially has three more seasons to improve. He still needs to compete, and if someone on the roster does better within that competition, then they should supersede him, but that hasn’t been the case thus far. Get Schuster more playmakers and see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Simply put, UND had serviceable play out of a freshman quarterback. He should naturally get better each and every season. I don’t panic when I see the poise and delivery that freshman Tommy Schuster delivered this season. He will get better, especially with better athletes around him. 
 

Now, are there better players/QBs out there? Of course. One could always envision a stronger armed, faster, bigger player at the QB position, but it is important to not spend too much finite amount of time on QB when there are definitely bigger holes within UND’s roster. I think it is important that UND continues to recruit to the QB position, which Freund will do, and they have done by bringing in Feeney from Moorhead. As a comparison, Paul Rudolph was awful for und as offensive coordinator largely because the qb position was an afterthought. Freund is doing just the opposite. But let’s not panic with Schuster, he certainly did well for his first year starting and potentially has three more seasons to improve. He still needs to compete, and if someone on the roster does better within that competition, then they should supersede him, but that hasn’t been the case thus far. Get Schuster more playmakers and see what happens.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "serviceable".   UND is close to winning a National Championship.  Like I said, QB is by far the most important position on a football team. I'm not sure any football team can be good enough at the other positions to win it all with a QB who is "serviceable".  I just don't think the ceiling on Tommy is high enough to ever get beyond throwing a lot of screens and short passes with the occasional well designed deep throw.  Maybe Tommy will start running 5-10 times per game, that would help take the pressure off Danny a bunch.  I completely agree with your thoughts on Rudolph, this spring would have been an utter dumpster fire with him calling the O.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with "serviceable".   UND is close to winning a National Championship.  Like I said, QB is by far the most important position on a football team. I'm not sure any football team can be good enough at the other positions to win it all with a QB who is "serviceable".  I just don't think the ceiling on Tommy is high enough to ever get beyond throwing a lot of screens and short passes with the occasional well designed deep throw.  Maybe Tommy will start running 5-10 times per game, that would help take the pressure off Danny a bunch.  I completely agree with your thoughts on Rudolph, this spring would have been an utter dumpster fire with him calling the O.

Simple question.....what's your expert solution at QB?  Your answer should be not longer than one word. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really liked Tommy Touchdown this season and thought in comparison to other QBs in the conference that he looked like a guy with a TON of potential. The inability to stop the run/get Weah going. I think the offense this season could have been a little more explosive- but I'm not worried about his development 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Simple question.....what's your expert solution at QB?  Your answer should be not longer than one word. 

We need to be able to throw the ball down field and/or be able to run the QB with scrambles and designed QB runs.  Did you happen to watch SDSU victories over NDSU and SIU(playoffs)?  If SDSU wins it all, Gronowski will be the difference.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We need to be able to throw the ball down field and/or be able to run the QB with scrambles and designed QB runs.  Did you happen to watch SDSU victories over NDSU and SIU(playoffs)?  If SDSU wins it all, Gronowski will be the difference.

I believe we had a QB that could throw deep, scramble, and designed QB runs.  Not sure if he made it into the marines or not.  How many, sacks and interception did he have that killed drives.  Tommy will drive this team very well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

While I always appreciate your opinions on all things UND football, I find your thoughts on on this post fascinating.  You make the case that UND needs to improve its athletes at DL, S, RB behind Otis, add a WR to stretch the field and improve the OL.  I would agree with all those thoughts to varying degrees.  

The part I don't understand is the "QB is not the issue"?  I would say with the evolution of offensive football the QB position has never been more important, as NDSU found out this spring.  YOu thoughts are the QB performance in both those games was good enough to win?  It seems like you are not judging the QB performance with the same critical eye on improvement you are judging some of the other positions.

That being said,  if you were to rate the UND QB performance in the game at Fargo and at JMU on a scale of 1(better off going wildcat) to 10(QB took the team on his back and won the game for UND), where would you put that performance?  

Both the games are on youtube.  

QB stats in both games:

NDSU: 13-26 for 143 yard with 1 TD and 1 INT, 1 carry for 3 yards.

JMU: 16-26 for 213 yards with 0 TD and 2 INT, 3 carries for 16 yards.

TOP at NDSU was 23:23

TOP at JMU was 21:38

Another post putting down on Schuster, for the record.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...