Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ James Madison Sunday May 2nd 5:00 PM Central Quarterfinals


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Couple more thoughts:

I may not have everyone on board here, but Tommy Schuster can be QB for his entire eligibility, as far as I'm concerned.  I know 2 INTs isn't the recipe for a playoff win, but that's only 5 in 7 games.  Did he get sacked this game?  Can't remember.  But if not, 1 sack in 7 games.  That 96 yard drive was beautiful.

I'm now convinced that UND HAS to beat NDSU to get Grand Forks excited about football.  I went to pick up some pizza from Rhombus near halftime, and NEITHER of their main floor TVs had UND football on.  That is inexcusable that not one worker nor one patron had asked for the game to be on.  I'm extremely ashamed.

We didn't play terrible.  The score looks a little lopsided, and maybe there were a couple moments where it looked like we didn't belong with the big boys, but I think we learned a lot this season, and we can be even better.  We get the Bison at home in the fall - Time to get that monkey off our back.  I want to see goal posts heading out of the Alerus!

Agree that we probably have Schuster starting for his eligibility.  When our running backs are able to get to the second level he is a great game manager.  However, when the other team loads the box and dares him to throw long his limitations are very visible.  Not sure if he can take us to the next level.  Totally agree that we need to beat the Bison to get a football buzz going again.  Losing this year really put a damper on what was a good year.  We also need more beef in the line to match up with the big boys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the Shenandoah Valley, Hawks. You will find us Dukes a fun-loving, welcoming, passionate bunch. Much respect for UND. If we have the game we are capable of for two full halves, we will be h

Are we the only fan base that poo poos our highlights (it's not always luck, you know)?  Any other team uses gadget plays on us (and they do all the time) or creeps up on us in garbage time and all of

Still better than any piss yellow jersey

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Irish said:

Agree that we probably have Schuster starting for his eligibility.  When our running backs are able to get to the second level he is a great game manager.  However, when the other team loads the box and dares him to throw long his limitations are very visible.  Not sure if he can take us to the next level.  Totally agree that we need to beat the Bison to get a football buzz going again.  Losing this year really put a damper on what was a good year.  We also need more beef in the line to match up with the big boys.

I am sure our goal is to win a Natty.  Will the OL and DL EVER be good enough to do that with a game manager at QB who can't throw down field and is no threat to run?  Against JMU our O was horrible in the first qtr(into a strong wind).  We talk about the DL being a weakness and I agree we need a couple more bigger body types.  We also need some more speed at WR.  

We had to score after the JMU punt miscue early in the game.  The O was pathetic with that opportunity and part of that is a fumble which on Vaughn.  The DPI call the play before, was a terribly weak throw which should have been intercepted.

For better or worse, its a QB driven game now.  Ask yourself if the Bison would be still playing with good QB play?  Would we still be playing with JMU QB?  He threw 3 huge deep passes in that game, big double move throw in 2nd qtr(into wind),huge completion right before half(FG) and the back breaker in the 4th qtr.  Tommy won't even attempt those throws because he can't make them.  If the DB doesn't hurt himself on the pick 6 that game is over in the 2nd qtr.  Watch the NDSU, MSU and JMU games again, the book is out on Tommy.  Stack the box and make Tommy throw it deep, he can't. 

TOP was a disaster the last 3 games.  NDSU and JMU we struggled stopping the run, our O never gave D time to regroup with a long drive in either game, nor in last 3 qtrs vs MSU.  Luckily their O was dominated by our D. 

Damn we are close.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeney is the real deal. Could he unseat Tommy....maybe. Regardless this team needs WRs that run a 40 more than 0.2 faster than me. 

Tommy's first INT wasn't on him. That easily should have been a catch and a first down to move the sticks on  the opening drive. Tommy was not sacked for minus yards. Q ran the ball a couple time for minus yards. If those here actually think Q is the answer to this offense think again.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Feeney is the real deal. Could he unseat Tommy....maybe. Regardless this team needs WRs that run a 40 more than 0.2 faster than me. 

Tommy's first INT wasn't on him. That easily should have been a catch and a first down to move the sticks on  the opening drive. Tommy was not sacked for minus yards. Q ran the ball a couple time for minus yards. If those here actually think Q is the answer to this offense think again.

We have to have someone who can either be a threat running and/or throw deep balls.  Watch the game again and count the box.  Last 3 games the other team has been daring us to throw it deep.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If the DB doesn't hurt himself on the (what would have been a) pick 6 that game is over in the 2nd qtr.

Yes, we lucked out on that one.  But to balance things, we also were unlucky on a couple calls in the second half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I am sure our goal is to win a Natty.  Will the OL and DL EVER be good enough to do that with a game manager at QB who can't throw down field and is no threat to run?  Against JMU our O was horrible in the first qtr(into a strong wind).  We talk about the DL being a weakness and I agree we need a couple more bigger body types.  We also need some more speed at WR.  

We had to score after the JMU punt miscue early in the game.  The O was pathetic with that opportunity and part of that is a fumble which on Vaughn.  The DPI call the play before, was a terribly weak throw which should have been intercepted.

For better or worse, its a QB driven game now.  Ask yourself if the Bison would be still playing with good QB play?  Would we still be playing with JMU QB?  He threw 3 huge deep passes in that game, big double move throw in 2nd qtr(into wind),huge completion right before half(FG) and the back breaker in the 4th qtr.  Tommy won't even attempt those throws because he can't make them.  If the DB doesn't hurt himself on the pick 6 that game is over in the 2nd qtr.  Watch the NDSU, MSU and JMU games again, the book is out on Tommy.  Stack the box and make Tommy throw it deep, he can't. 

TOP was a disaster the last 3 games.  NDSU and JMU we struggled stopping the run, our O never gave D time to regroup with a long drive in either game, nor in last 3 qtrs vs MSU.  Luckily their O was dominated by our D. 

Damn we are close.

It is a QB driven game now, no doubt. But a good front 7 and o-line can still win you a title if you got a solid qb. Bison won a couple titles with game managers. Young Jensen was not anything to write home about. Young Stick was good, not great.

Notre Dame made the CFP 2/3 years with a P5 version of Schuster (reluctant to push the field, normal arm talent). Turns out having a great defense and offensive line gets you places.

If UND (or anyone for that matter) at the FCS level has a great line/front 7, and a competent QB, they will have a shot at winning a title. NDSU has proven that, though they've generally had other high quality pieces to work with.

I'm far from an elite football mind, but I wouldn't stress out about your QB after losing a game at JMU. He looks pretty solid in my worthless opinion lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I am sure our goal is to win a Natty.  Will the OL and DL EVER be good enough to do that with a game manager at QB who can't throw down field and is no threat to run?  Against JMU our O was horrible in the first qtr(into a strong wind).  We talk about the DL being a weakness and I agree we need a couple more bigger body types.  We also need some more speed at WR.  

We had to score after the JMU punt miscue early in the game.  The O was pathetic with that opportunity and part of that is a fumble which on Vaughn.  The DPI call the play before, was a terribly weak throw which should have been intercepted.

For better or worse, its a QB driven game now.  Ask yourself if the Bison would be still playing with good QB play?  Would we still be playing with JMU QB?  He threw 3 huge deep passes in that game, big double move throw in 2nd qtr(into wind),huge completion right before half(FG) and the back breaker in the 4th qtr.  Tommy won't even attempt those throws because he can't make them.  If the DB doesn't hurt himself on the pick 6 that game is over in the 2nd qtr.  Watch the NDSU, MSU and JMU games again, the book is out on Tommy.  Stack the box and make Tommy throw it deep, he can't. 

TOP was a disaster the last 3 games.  NDSU and JMU we struggled stopping the run, our O never gave D time to regroup with a long drive in either game, nor in last 3 qtrs vs MSU.  Luckily their O was dominated by our D. 

Damn we are close.

JMUs qb isn’t any good. The wrs on the other hand

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

How about getting Otis getting more than 13 touches. I know you're enamored with Q but Tommy isn't THE issue offensively as you have tried to point out........over and over and over.

Did UND panic in the second half a bit? I wasn't able to watch but was surprised at how few carries he got in the second half. After watching the NDSU/UND game, he seems like quite a good player. 

Also, what a good name lol. Otis. The name alone merits about 20 carries a game. The only better name on UND is Ray Haas. A dude with that name was born to wear a neck roll and eat sauerkraut during halftime while listening to some polka.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, shep said:

With Schuster, Vaughn and Feeney, can you think of any time in UND history that we had 3 better QBs than these?

Is Vaughn good? The coaches apparently don't trust him to throw the ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Did UND panic in the second half a bit?

Not quite the same panic as the NDSU game, but apparently the coaches don't think he fits into the offense when we're trying to play catchup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do you happen to be watching SDSU and their QB running the ball?

Changes everything for a defense.

You're not looking for a different QB; you're looking for a different offense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are close. I went to bed disappointed but this morning I am proud of how far this program has come along. I see a bright future and this team needs to go into Idaho State and kick their asses to start off next season.

To me the biggest issue is the D line. We needed to make a couple more stops than we did against a good team like JMU and we just couldn't. We have to get bigger and stronger there.  Between Schuster, Vaughn and Feeney, I really like what we have in that group. Also, Schuster was not the reason we lost yesterday. 

Lastly, it was bush league move by JMU trying to score in the final seconds. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

JMU was a more complete team, there is no way around that. UND competed, but take away the two INTs and it's obviously a much closer game. We aren't where we need to be yet, but we are dang close. Remember this is a team that got their a** whopped by Niccolls.......

 

As I have said many times, this program is improving everyday and that is all we as fans can ask for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the 3 Bs getting healthier as it will only help next fall (Belquist, Boltmann, Beach). Get bigger get stronger get faster! Only 4 months away. Go Hawks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy's YPA yesterday.....8.2

ARog, league MVP, last season YPA was 8.1.

Mahomes last season....7.9

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7010989-Commentary-For-UND-football-clearing-the-last-hurdle-remains
 

well written article.

 

UND football is a top 10 program now, that is great. BUT, they are not a top 2 program that can compete for a national championship yet. The 2021 games against JMU and NDSU were lopsided. As far as specific areas where UND needs to improve, it still remains up front. They are better, but not at a championship level. Need better offensive linemen and, most importantly, better defensive linemen. 
 

looking forward to fall 2021 and beyond. Sounds like Bubba realizes the trenches remains an area of recruiting focus and development focus, which is good

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy's YPA yesterday.....8.2

ARog, league MVP, last season YPA was 8.1.

Mahomes last season....7.9

You and your fancy cypherin'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You and your fancy cypherin'. 

.....and that is without a WR anywhere near the talent of Wells.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need better offensive linemen

Are you just meaning to own an opposing defensive line?  I thought our O-line was outstanding this year.  Couple of games where it was harder for us to establish the run, but QB protection was phenomenal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You're not looking for a different QB; you're looking for a different offense. 

When we play good team.  Teams with equal or better talent, the QB looms as the most important person in field . The difference maker.  Watch our last 3 games, subtract the gadget pass plays and tell me what we are left with.  A very smart QB who struggles mightily with arm strength and is no threat to run . That sequence in 2nd qtr where one short throw should have been picked and one throw was picked and should have been pick 6 tells the story.  
 

I don’t know if our o and d lines will ever be able to compensate for 3 minute drives and no ability to get ball downfield. 
 

watch the last 3 games with a critical eye.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...