Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22


cberkas
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Former Gofer goon Sue Bickel?

The same one, he left the Gophers after a year to become a AHL player. He just about played a full NHL season between 3 teams  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

The same one, he left the Gophers after a year to become a AHL player. He just about played a full NHL season between 3 teams  

AHL was probably a good fit for his game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Arizona State has a schedule that they could get into the NCAA's again. Their toughest games are Denver, BU, and Mankato

 CC could give them a challenge. 

They have a good schedule in my opinion. Cornell, Lowell, Quinnipiac, and Clarkson will be tough series’ as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pioneer Press: As Tommies move to Division I athletics, their facilities must follow - Central Collegiate Hockey Association (ccha.com)

Quote

St. Thomas’ unprecedented move from Division III to Division I athletics will still be in its infancy — with tickets in demand — on October 3 when the St. Cloud State men’s hockey team travels to St. Paul to face the Tommies.

Actually, they’ll be in Mendota Heights, the site of St. Thomas Ice Arena, the 1,000-seat venue that the Tommies share with St. Thomas Academy.

Or maybe the teams will meet in Minneapolis, at either 10,000-seat 3M Arena at Mariucci or 3,400-seat Ridder Arena on the U of M campus. Other arenas in the Twin Cities could be in play, as well.

They could go play at the Target Center

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, cberkas said:

Target Center is probably a little further afield than they would like, but could definitely work for big games, Aldrich arena, can seat about 3500 might be the better option for the short term. I still think Renovating Warner and Lee is the best option long-term, it could work for both hockey and basketball as well plus I know it needs to undergo some updates and upgrades anyways, so you have the potential for state funding ontop of whatever St. Thomas might put up. I wonder if Roy Wilkins Auditorium still has the equipment for making ice? The last time it was used to host hockey was back in the 70's so I doubt it still has the equipment, though these venues love to keep there schedules full so who knows if the city would be willing to get it back into shape for hockey.

NCHC Frozen Faceoff notebook: Amsoil Arena crew makes nice ice at Target  Center | Duluth News Tribune

Target Center - Frozen Faceoff - Capacity 19,356

St. Paul Hippodrome - Lee and Rose Warner Coliseum

Rose and Lee Warner Coliseum- last time it hosted MN State Hockey Regionals - Capacity 6000

Aldrich Arena interior

Aldrich Arena - Maplewood, MN - Capacity 3500

St. Paul Auditorium/ Roy Wilkins Auditorium

Roy Wilkins Auditorium Last Time it Hosted Hockey - 1972 - Capacity around 8000?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How cool would games at Aldrich be for them?  That place would rock.  

UND-St. Thomas should get into a scheduling relationship and meet at the X for a series every year.  I bet you'd see 10,000 plus.  Not sure how big the Tommies fan base is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How cool would games at Aldrich be for them?  That place would rock.  

UND-St. Thomas should get into a scheduling relationship and meet at the X for a series every year.  I bet you'd see 10,000 plus.  Not sure how big the Tommies fan base is. 

I would say in general there are plenty of Alums but it will be interesting to see how many come out to watch them as a D-1 team. If they could fill Aldrich, with those low ceilings it could definitely become a loud and intimidating place to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My vote would be Aldrich.  Amazing venue.  Only problem is locker room space is less than adequate.  Hill just renovated their space there.  Not sure how much room is left, especially if UST renovated their own locker room, which would maybe leave 2 public locker rooms?  I think that place has 4 rooms but I can't remember. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, nodak651 said:

My vote would be Aldrich.  Amazing venue.  Only problem is locker room space is less than adequate.  Hill just renovated their space there.  Not sure how much room is left, especially if UST renovated their own locker room, which would maybe leave 2 public locker rooms?  I think that place has 4 rooms but I can't remember. 

I think Aldrich would be Interim, Not Sure it would make much sense a a long-term solution, the main advantage it has over there current facility is capacity. Also keep in mind the CCHA has indicated that its members are committing to upgrading a number of facilities related issues.

 

  • Live video stream production upgrades featuring new synchronized CCHA-branded TV motion graphics package.
  • Further live video stream production upgrades featuring additional camera angles, additional available replays, intermission & post-game interviews, etc. (Committed by 2023-24 season).
  • Referee microphones to announce decisions through the public address (PA) system and television & radio broadcasts, keeping players, staff and fans informed throughout the game.
  • Best-available 'official video review system' in hockey with high-definition (HD) cameras recording at an impressive 1080p resolution at 60 frames-per-second (fps), including installation of blue line cameras, for quicker and more accurate reviews.  
  • NHL replica goals, netting and skirts.
  • Enhancements to visitor's dressing rooms in select arenas to provide professional experience for players.
  • Upgrades to arena lighting in select arenas to enhance TV production quality.
  • Addition of skate sharpener exhaust systems provided to all eight teams to improve air quality for team equipment managers.

Some of these enhancements may in the end make St. Thomas Consider just building a whole new arena, Possibly on or near the Fairgrounds (Because parking and open space, to say nothing of use in offseason). However I think the league as a whole is willing to be a little more forgiving with St. Thomas, as they are making a Big jump, this I think is Directed more at BGSU, Ferris, and Some of the other Michigan Teams who's Broadcasts are painfully basic, often a small basic camera crew that just plays the radio broadcast for commentary. CCHA is definitely looking to not just become more geographically compact but be an improvement on the overall product.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I think Aldrich would be Interim, Not Sure it would make much sense a a long-term solution, the main advantage it has over there current facility is capacity. Also keep in mind the CCHA has indicated that its members are committing to upgrading a number of facilities related issues.

 

  • Live video stream production upgrades featuring new synchronized CCHA-branded TV motion graphics package.
  • Further live video stream production upgrades featuring additional camera angles, additional available replays, intermission & post-game interviews, etc. (Committed by 2023-24 season).
  • Referee microphones to announce decisions through the public address (PA) system and television & radio broadcasts, keeping players, staff and fans informed throughout the game.
  • Best-available 'official video review system' in hockey with high-definition (HD) cameras recording at an impressive 1080p resolution at 60 frames-per-second (fps), including installation of blue line cameras, for quicker and more accurate reviews.  
  • NHL replica goals, netting and skirts.
  • Enhancements to visitor's dressing rooms in select arenas to provide professional experience for players.
  • Upgrades to arena lighting in select arenas to enhance TV production quality.
  • Addition of skate sharpener exhaust systems provided to all eight teams to improve air quality for team equipment managers.

Some of these enhancements may in the end make St. Thomas Consider just building a whole new arena, Possibly on or near the Fairgrounds (Because parking and open space, to say nothing of use in offseason). However I think the league as a whole is willing to be a little more forgiving with St. Thomas, as they are making a Big jump, this I think is Directed more at BGSU, Ferris, and Some of the other Michigan Teams who's Broadcasts are painfully basic, often a small basic camera crew that just plays the radio broadcast for commentary. CCHA is definitely looking to not just become more geographically compact but be an improvement on the overall product.

Agreed.  And that is good to hear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good news about RMU.  What has happened is going to hurt their player retention and recruiting efforts.  I guess if I was a senior or junior I'd come back and try to ride it out and finish school and get my degree from RMU.  It can be tough transferring once you're that far into school and having all credits transfer and line up with you new school.  Younger players and recruits, RMU might be my last option.  I hope the fans understand that and still come out to support the team and show they are just happy to have the program.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...