SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

2 minutes ago, the green team said:

I

I’m not sure that the 4 games applies like it does for college football.  I think they studied it.  Did it pass?

Levias has dressed & warmed up a lot this year.  Including at NDSU.  It they thought he could go I think he would seen game action already.  Plus we’ve had all sorts of players trying to acclimate themselves to Division 1 and Summit play this year, I’m not sure that Levias playing in the remaining games does just that much for the team or for him.  Just hoping he gets healthy, & let’s see what he brings next season

Yeah no point in pulling the redshirt now. If he plays in 1 second of 1 game the redshirt is gone. Medical redshirt is a different situation. 

29 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Now wouldn’t that be something. Manage to get to into the tournament and then win a game or three.
 Is it a successful season if we make the tournament?
 I say yes only because expectations were lowered as we lost game after game. At this point I would take it.
bigger picture is to enjoy the season by winning and not get into the current situation-dah

24 minutes ago, the green team said:

I’m not sure that the 4 games applies like it does for college football.  I think they studied it.  Did it pass?
Levias has dressed & warmed up a lot this year.  Including at NDSU.  It they thought he could go I think he would seen game action already.  Plus we’ve had all sorts of players trying to acclimate themselves to Division 1 and Summit play this year, I’m not sure that Levias playing in the remaining games does just that much for the team or for him.  Just hoping he gets healthy, & let’s see what he brings next season

21 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah no point in pulling the redshirt now. If he plays in 1 second of 1 game the redshirt is gone. Medical redshirt is a different situation. 

All good points.  I could have swore the 4 game thing passed for basketball this year, after the A-10 petitioned the NCAA, but I just tried to find an update and couldn't find anything.  Thanks for the correction.  Good point on continuity with current roster as well.  I was thinking he would be helpful towards the end of the game if guys foul out, etc, but that issue seems to be moot!  

I hate to say it, because the teams record isn't acceptable, but I've noticed that even with how much this team has struggled, I don't get nearly as frustrated as when I was watching Jone's teams.  I'm not a basketball guy, but Sather's offense seems to just have a good flow to it.  We could obviously cut down on a lot of the turnovers, but I think that will get better as overall team skill increases.  This team is just enjoyable to watch, and yes, current standards are unacceptably low, given how this season started, but it's just great to see so much effort out there, and ya can't help but feel good seeing a walk on like Panoam get so much playing time.  

• Upvote 1

I get such a kick out of so many fans here on the board can't let getting jab in on Jones. I don't know all the reasons but some of it has to do with style of basketball he wanted to play and second is Jones recruited some high end talent but in doing so the offense alot of time was centered around that talent even when it was not most smart basketball but it was price to pay for having stars on your team. This made games frustrating at times because watching this talent you thought they should be better than they were. Now Sather promotes more of team concept to getting production but level of talent is not there that Jones had but Sather gets them to play hard and fan gets involved with them hoping they will win. The thing i would like to know why some alumni had such hatred for Jones was it because he was not part of club or did he have way offending them. I just find it all very interesting and it may be something else but Jones for being gone for 3 years still brings out daggers with many on this board.  He was hired here at division II era and team had fallen from conference power to be just average and then he had to take through division I transfer and our closest sisters schools would not schedule them. Even then we came out of that where he was winning Great West conference and getting to play some post season basketball. Then we went to Big Sky where after being there 3 years he was conference champ and made NCAA appearance. Then we had beginning of transfer rules changes where we lost  a key player setting us back to winning another conference championship. He then finally had challenge of switching conferences and again building team that could compete in the Summit.  Along with this i do believe he had poor last year recruitment class and i wonder if this was reason he looked to move or that he saw he wasn't putting in effort he had in past because of family commitments we will never know on this. Also not to mention he did this being one lowest paid coaches in division i and probably with with his assistants to help him. I believe he had about same pay structure when he left as assistant. The program wasn't totally broken because Sather was able to go to conference championship following year and Sather first year recruits were not outstanding with talent either. I think Sather is going to be very good coach once he is able to recruit and retain some of his talent. I just think that UND has over my lifetime had some very good coaches and I even think that of Jones and Sather.

8 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I get such a kick out of so many fans here on the board can't let getting jab in on Jones. I don't know all the reasons but some of it has to do with style of basketball he wanted to play and second is Jones recruited some high end talent but in doing so the offense alot of time was centered around that talent even when it was not most smart basketball but it was price to pay for having stars on your team. This made games frustrating at times because watching this talent you thought they should be better than they were. Now Sather promotes more of team concept to getting production but level of talent is not there that Jones had but Sather gets them to play hard and fan gets involved with them hoping they will win. The thing i would like to know why some alumni had such hatred for Jones was it because he was not part of club or did he have way offending them. I just find it all very interesting and it may be something else but Jones for being gone for 3 years still brings out daggers with many on this board.  He was hired here at division II era and team had fallen from conference power to be just average and then he had to take through division I transfer and our closest sisters schools would not schedule them. Even then we came out of that where he was winning Great West conference and getting to play some post season basketball. Then we went to Big Sky where after being there 3 years he was conference champ and made NCAA appearance. Then we had beginning of transfer rules changes where we lost  a key player setting us back to winning another conference championship. He then finally had challenge of switching conferences and again building team that could compete in the Summit.  Along with this i do believe he had poor last year recruitment class and i wonder if this was reason he looked to move or that he saw he wasn't putting in effort he had in past because of family commitments we will never know on this. Also not to mention he did this being one lowest paid coaches in division i and probably with with his assistants to help him. I believe he had about same pay structure when he left as assistant. The program wasn't totally broken because Sather was able to go to conference championship following year and Sather first year recruits were not outstanding with talent either. I think Sather is going to be very good coach once he is able to recruit and retain some of his talent. I just think that UND has over my lifetime had some very good coaches and I even think that of Jones and Sather.

I agree but I think lots didn’t like jones antics on sideline 

stomping his feet whaling just arms etc

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I can’t keep my eyes on this because there’s no paragraphs but Jones was a bad X’s and O’s Coach. Good recruiter or had good coaches that recruited well (G). 

31 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I can’t keep my eyes on this because there’s no paragraphs but Jones was a bad X’s and O’s Coach. Good recruiter or had good coaches that recruited well (G). 

You summarize perfect.  In addition Jones, rarely won a game when it came to FT's. In college that is because them are not in shape too tired to shoot FT's.   Except when Q had possession. 

The terrible at boxing out gave up many easy points on O rebounds. 

Back door was easy against UND but rarely the benefit for UND.

Short list.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, GoHawks said:

Unfortunately after watching most of the games I don't see this team winning more then 10 games this year (hope I'm wrong). The talent level just isn't there. I see a bunch of D2 talent playing D1 basketball. There isn't a leader that can take over a game, there isn't a post threat or a 3 point threat. Bruns seems to be turning out the way we were all hoping but that isnt going to be enough. In Sathers 3rd season (?) I would have thought we'd be in a better position then this. Yes, he can coach but the recruiting part is starting to be a question. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and they can have a good season but what I've seen so far I'm not feeling to good about it.

Guess I was being too nice by giving them 10 wins. 6-24 overall and 2-15 in the conf.........WOW

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I hope sueker comes back - concerned

Me, too, but I thought that he was honored on Senior Day (not that would preclude him from returning).  A healthy Sueker would have made a big difference this season:  another big body plus another scorer.

1 minute ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Me, too, but I thought that he was honored on Senior Day (not that would preclude him from returning).  A healthy Sueker would have made a big difference this season:  another big body plus another scorer.

He was honored, but if I remember correctly, Panoam was honored last year and then he came back.

My guess it was done to guaratee the seniors to have been honored at least once.  

5 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I hope sueker comes back - concerned

Nah, still have plenty of time to decide.