Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season


 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

I think she will keep who she has but I have a feeling that she may add another assistant.

 

Doesn't she already have a full contingent allowed by the NCAA?  Mo, Eves, Young- Director of Ops Morso?  I don't think she can have more than that by rule?  Maybe, I'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, the green team said:

Doesn't she already have a full contingent allowed by the NCAA?  Mo, Eves, Young- Director of Ops Morso?  I don't think she can have more than that by rule?  Maybe, I'm wrong.

Oh, you could be right. I'm not sure.

Edit:
This article may explain it some.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/sports/ncaabasketball/theyre-here-there-and-everywhere-college-basketball-assistants.html

Edited by Farawayfan
added info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, NodakNation said:

Bernhard as a former standout student-athlete, assistant coach, and now head coach is a unique feat. I hope she is successful! She needs to take the necessary steps to improve:

1. She needs to upgrade her staff. Coach Mo has the Michigan connection, but other than that... What are the other coaches doing? We rarely see them being active on the bench, social media platforms, recruiting, or adding much value to the program. As a young HC, you can't have lack of experience or knowledge on the bench. There is no reason that changes shouldn't be made going into the next season. This is the prime time to hire. 2 wins last year is enough to answer that question.

2. They need to step up their game recruiting. It sounds like she is aware of that. At the end of the day, recruiting is the lifeline of college athletics. This past season was atrocious due to the lack of talent and depth. This is something that needs to be addressed right now and the transfer portal is a good place to start. How about kids like Lyndsey Robson or Erin Norling that they recruited out of HS. Colorado State and Utah State have half their rosters transferring. There are many junior colleges in the area. They need to find a way to bring back high level talent like they had in 2013-2018.

At this level she has to learn to take the emotion out of decisions and make the difficult ones - both current roster, recruiting and staffing. Hopefully she has a mentor or two coaching her on this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Farawayfan said:

I think she will keep who she has but I have a feeling that she may add another assistant.

 

So we fire our coach Brewster.  Then we make his assistant coach Bernard the interim coach instead of a national search then.    She wins 2 games with basically the same team that got 6th in the league the year before.  We miss out on the summit league tournament this year.  We have a national search for a new coach and we end up with the assistant coach of the coach we fired and who won 2 games....  Sorry I know I need to let this go and support the coach, the difference between me and the homer fans on here, if they dont do well they become irrelevant to me.  I so wanted to be able to go cheer on a good women's team too...  I am not going to watch a 2 win team that looks terrible, ill go down the interstate a few miles and watch NDSU.  They did it right with their new hire and he is proving it in year 2.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

So we fire our coach Brewster.  Then we make his assistant coach Bernard the interim coach instead of a national search then.    She wins 2 games with basically the same team that got 6th in the league the year before.  We miss out on the summit league tournament this year.  We have a national search for a new coach and we end up with the assistant coach of the coach we fired and who won 2 games....  Sorry I know I need to let this go and support the coach, the difference between me and the homer fans on here, if they dont do well they become irrelevant to me.  I so wanted to be able to go cheer on a good women's team too...  I am not going to watch a 2 win team that looks terrible, ill go down the interstate a few miles and watch NDSU.  They did it right with their new hire and he is proving it in year 2.  

I was thinking the same, why pay the money for a national search when they didn't have to - internal promotions do not require job postings I believe. If they wanted to "see who was out there" what were they expecting? Did those candidates even have a chance or was it just going through the motions. We will never know. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Zander entered the portal.  Shows what she thought of the hire.  Best player....gone

Keplin should be well rested from having the season off to step into her vacated role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This does not look good. First we get one of our better men’s player wanting to transfer and now with the women.  What is going on here. The basketball programs appear to be in free fall at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Quit suppoosedly

Too much to ask over the course of the season for Tom Miller to give any insight into her situation?

Zander and Keplin were the 2 best recruits in that class.....both gone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sure hate see Zander leave and other two recruits i think they didn't see much playing time so they probably looking for a place where they can get more playing time and wouldn't be surprised if they drop down a level. The loss of Zander is type of player  we need to have on this team to rebuild it back to what it was not good sign to come for basketball program. Well with loss of these three players and three seniors this year we should have pretty good idea how well she does recruiting plus if its true Keplin is gone we will have turn over of 7 players for next year and then add in Lane girl and Wallace signed last year this team will pretty much be made up girls she recruited. I wonder if were not going to see more in the portal  before next season.  I was thinking we could rebound back sooner but now were looking at total rebuild and usually takes couple of years to get program built so we could see us at bottom conference for couple of years.  Tom Izzo stated on his show that Chaves didn't want to have three coaches in three years for the program because he wanted stability but this may come back to haunt him he has two women's programs that are starting at bottom for next year and when he was hired both of the programs were at top conference and in three years there at the bottom of the conference. I sure hope this works out but  task is getting harder as things play out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I sure hate see Zander leave and other two recruits i think they didn't see much playing time so they probably looking for a place where they can get more playing time and wouldn't be surprised if they drop down a level. The loss of Zander is type of player  we need to have on this team to rebuild it back to what it was not good sign to come for basketball program. Well with loss of these three players and three seniors this year we should have pretty good idea how well she does recruiting plus if its true Keplin is gone we will have turn over of 7 players for next year and then add in Lane girl and Wallace signed last year this team will pretty much be made up girls she recruited. I wonder if were not going to see more in the portal  before next season.  I was thinking we could rebound back sooner but now were looking at total rebuild and usually takes couple of years to get program built so we could see us at bottom conference for couple of years.  Tom Izzo stated on his show that Chaves didn't want to have three coaches in three years for the program because he wanted stability but this may come back to haunt him he has two women's programs that are starting at bottom for next year and when he was hired both of the programs were at top conference and in three years there at the bottom of the conference. I sure hope this works out but  task is getting harder as things play out.

He wouldn't have 3 coaches in 3 years if he had the balls to look nationally for a new coach last year.  Now we lost arguably our best player.   When is Chaves job on the watch ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

He wouldn't have 3 coaches in 3 years if he had the balls to look nationally for a new coach last year.  Now we lost arguably our best player.   When is Chaves job on the watch ?  

In Chaves mind his is here for hockey.  If you listened to his podcasts he loves the Whalers and Red Sox.  Like I care.  I thought more when he was hired than I do now.  He is a no waves guy.  Better than Faison but not a leader.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might be the reset Coach Bernhard needs. Hopefully, she restarts with her staff too. Finds capable recruiters and gets new faces to the program. I find it hard to believe this is the best staff she can put together. Why not find a coaching vet, another alum, or at minimum, more experience and energy? She needs to really look at who is working for her at this point. Also, anyone else hear about any offers to transfers? They need to find a few kids who can contribute right away. Where will the scoring come from next year? We are in deep trouble if we lose Kacie Borowicz or Juliet Gordon too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Siouxfan1989 said:

best player gone...it’s gonna get ugly before it gets pretty again. But that’s okay! As long as we move forward in the future. I wouldn’t expect too much out of next year.

Yeah, losing Fleecs is really gonna hurt but life goes on. Reinke seemed like quite the leader too and 4 assists a game is big..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got to believe this salary within equal pay guidelines of University compared to other universities in what they are paying and it should be. I believe they hired her based on her qualifications and expectations for this position she should be paid the going salary if were going to become the top program everyone on here is wanting.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The thing that jumped out at me wasn’t the $$$.  Only a 3 year deal not 4?

Fair or not, maybe this year was considered Year 1.
I would have preferred a 4 year contract but the 4th year has to be a mutually agreed upon option. Just aesthetics but gives a little bit better look than just a 3 year deal and in the end, gives UND the same deal but looks a little better to future recruits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great $155,000 for a unproven coach who has only coached high school basketball before this year.  I guess $155,000 for a 2-19 record is deserved.  $155,000 doesnt buy what it used to :silly:  Jory Collins at NDSU has the same salary and he has turned around that team in year two.  We will see what our coach will do....  BUT she is a former player and UND alum who was recommended by Coach Roebuck I am sure everything will be ok.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...