Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So called 'Cancel Culture' is NOT the problem here. The problem still lies with Miller and to a certain extent, his parents. He was taken to court, reprimanded by the magistrate, ordered to community

Here's my advice for Mitchell Miller. Don't even think of leaving UND until you have a degree. Be a good citizen, student and teammate. Then go out and see what kind of pro hockey career you can

I can’t hold what Miller did at 14 against him as an adult.  But he is responsible for making amends afterwards; especially now that he is 18.  From all indications Miller (and the Miller clan) have n

Posted Images

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:

Really a bull**** statement by Arizona. Why didn't they just say the truth - "we caved to pressure on social media". They make it sound like they didn't know what happened before they drafted him.

That's 100% accurate.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I love the "because Jasper has a black brother" narrative that obviously makes him a race virtuoso and the expert on race relations.  Classic. 

Didn't he recently try to dox the UND soccer coach through a fake twitter account, calling for him to be fired because his girlfriend wasn't playing enough or something?

 

Two minutes for embellishment on your part.    

Weatherby's parents were deeply involved in the civil rights movement, and by all accounts he was engulfed in this ethos from a young age.  Of course Weatherby is no race expert; however he's probably far more knowledgeable and aware of racial issues than his hockey playing peers.  

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

With regard to playing in the pros, I think he will be treated like Luke Heimlich.  Just don't see a team signing him.  Optics are just palatable to sponsors and the like. And this will be a huge distraction for UND all season.  May be fortunate that games will be played with no fans to start the year, but it's unrealistic to think this won't be an issue for as long as he is here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

With regard to playing in the pros, I think he will be treated like Luke Heimlich.  Just don't see a team signing him.  Optics are just palatable to sponsors and the like. And this will be a huge distraction for UND all season.  May be fortunate that games will be played with no fans to start the year, but it's unrealistic to think this won't be an issue for as long as he is here.

Playing in the pros?  Again this is a 4th round draft pick.  The odds of a 4th rd player playing in the NHL is not that great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Takeaways:

MILLER - neutral.  Don't know the kid.  Don't condone bad behavior but also not going to second guess anyone who had far more information than me.  Remorse and contrition are internal  to the individual, and not for you and me to judge or quantify.  There's a reason why we seal juvenile records (don't yell at me, yell at your legislators).  There are civil lawsuits to redress harm done; ironically, an NHL contract deepens the defendant's pockets.  Lots of hypocrites out there screaming for blood from the safety of anonymity or the secure knowledge that their past transgressions shall forever remain buried.

COYOTES - down. Way down.  Had a chance to not draft the kid...passed on it.  Had a chance to explain their motivations at the time...apparently lied through their teeth.  Had a chance to stand by their stated convictions...caved to pressure.  Zero character.  Hope Berry and UND do better.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Here's my advice for Mitchell Miller. Don't even think of leaving UND until you have a degree.

Be a good citizen, student and teammate. Then go out and see what kind of pro hockey career you can have.

This

Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about it, I feel the Coyotes did the dirty work for UND.  They showed him that actions have consequences - he has now suffered those consequences and maybe UND is the spot the rehabilitate his image/career and then take another shot as a free agent in NHL.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

... and STILL allegedly ...

I bolded a key word. 

If he really did as alleged, he would still have been a minor and in violation. How did he not end back up in juvenile court? 

 

I have a feeling we know what we're being told and not everything there is to know. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Easy boss. I don't think NDSU Football brings in perfect angels year after year. The last two seasons they've had players busted smoking dope and other for illegal performance enhancing drugs. That's not even digging into NDSU's love for best buy........

https://www.inforum.com/2922453-12-charged-best-buy-theft-ring

We are talking about an issue that is 4 years old when a kid is 14 years old and everyone wants their pond of flesh  now for what reason?

Now explain what that scenario has to do with NDSU?????

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I bolded a key word. 

If he really did as alleged, he would still have been a minor and in violation. How did he not end back up in juvenile court? 

 

I have a feeling we know what we're being told and not everything there is to know. 

Maybe, maybe not. As it stands, Miller has yet to refute that claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Really? said:

Hope we aren't heading towards a rep as the "Last chance U" for NCAA Hockey.  Don't want to be thought of in the same light as Youngstown football is in the MVFC.

I really think thats a stretch... a far far stretch. Suspiciously far stretch.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

So called 'Cancel Culture' is NOT the problem here. The problem still lies with Miller and to a certain extent, his parents. He was taken to court, reprimanded by the magistrate, ordered to community service, and STILL allegedly continued his bullying behavior. Society, political correctness, 'bad' Christians, etc. is not the reason why he's in this predicament. He is where he is because he failed to learn a very important lesson.

Miller's life hasn't been completely destroyed and he can still have a hockey career, but he has to show genuine change. No more forced apologies or PR stunts.

Also, with its statement the other day, I don't know how UND would justify potentially following the Coyotes' lead. UND stated it knew the story and was adamant that it is the best place to 'rehabilitate' him.

You emphasized the wrong word but I helped you out. No one knows what actually happened because the full story is not out there. Nor does anyone know what advice he was given inregards to the situation from attorneys/advisors/parents. Its incredbily complicated beyond what was reported but there are reasons that not much has been heard from him on it.

No one, including the UND staff, is condoning what he did. But they obviously saw something that made them think he was worth a second chance and help him redeem himself. Hopefully this thing doesn't go too far before he even has a chance to do so.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

Maybe, maybe not. As it stands, Miller has yet to refute that claim.

If he did, would you believe him.  If he tried to refute something people would say he isn’t taking responsibility and making excuses.  Darned if you do, darned if you don’t.  Probably right now he should keep his mouth shut and stay off social media and put his head down and live up to any confidence anyone has put in him.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You emphasized the wrong word but I helped you out. No one knows what actually happened because the full story is not out there. Nor does anyone know what advice he was given inregards to the situation from attorneys/advisors/parents. Its incredbily complicated beyond what was reported but there are reasons that not much has been heard from him on it.

No one, including the UND staff, is condoning what he did. But they obviously saw something that made them think he was worth a second chance and help him redeem himself. Hopefully this thing doesn't go too far before he even has a chance to do so.

 

Yes, this is the heart of the issue.  Who knows what is happening behind the scenes.      

That said, on the PR front, this entire mess could've been mitigated by Miller’s side if they put more effort into publicly making amends.  It isn’t difficult.  Personally apologize to the victim and his family, volunteer at every opportunity, be outspoken about the issue, set up a foundation, be thoroughly transparent and upfront about Mitchell's actions.  These things can be easily verified and corroborated.  Yet all we have from Miller's side are a handful of letters claiming he's rehabilitated by doing the minimum.   Now I don’t expect some teenager to have the wherewithal to navigate the PR aspect, but his parents should have....especially when your son has a god given talent most kids can only dream of.         

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Here's my advice for Mitchell Miller. Don't even think of leaving UND until you have a degree.

Be a good citizen, student and teammate. Then go out and see what kind of pro hockey career you can have.

My bet is Europe unless he develops into a Kierstad.  The college degree part is pretty big for him right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this "still allegedly" incident that you refer to the "rollerbladed by the house"?   I am in awe of how so many know all the sordid details of this situation, glad I am old and did stupid sh!t before the internet...

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tnt said:

If he did, would you believe him.  If he tried to refute something people would say he isn’t taking responsibility and making excuses.  Darned if you do, darned if you don’t.  Probably right now he should keep his mouth shut and stay off social media and put his head down and live up to any confidence anyone has put in him.

I wonder if he was advised to "don't say one damn thing" by someone (parent, coach, advisor, etc) with the mantra of "no matter what you say" people will pervert whatever you say into something that fits their agenda...

 

and how about this judge that gets his opinion on what relative strangers have going on in their minds,  a less dramatic person is the scoundrel, the blubbering liar is god's own child....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...