Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread


UNDBIZ
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Dustin said:

Absolutely YES to everything here.  Playing it off as the “JV” championship (as one of my coworkers does) is a terrible outlook for UND fans. 

It is the I’ve championship but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to win it. Why is it JV? A Saturday noon kickoff on a soccer field on ESPN 2. No respect. What was on ESPN 2 during prime time that night ? Basketball,!that’s where UND needs to invest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

UND actually outgained NDSU in the game sniffed the end zone the same amount of times. Just needed to not throw that INT.

So had UND beaten NDSU and then NDSU had gone on to win the national championship, what would have been your conclusion about where the UND program is currently?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

So had UND beaten NDSU and then NDSU had gone on to win the national championship, what would have been your conclusion about where the UND program is currently?

Same.  Why?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m still wondering what NDSU was missing in 2020 and the first half of 2021. 
 

I have a theory……….

was the Newman juice not available in 2020 because of Covid and did they not start getting the juice again until the second half of the season? NDSU was not the same team that played UND and that won the championship. Would this explain why Clemson sucks not too because they couldn’t get the Newman juice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Same.  Why?  

It just seems like so many here are using a close game with NDSU to justify that UND is close to being at that level. I just don’t see the outcome of a single game win or lose being an indicator of whether or not those two teams are on the same level. Anything can happen in a single game. Ultimately, every single team is no better or worse than their actual record. 
 

Just trying to understand that thought process and if you also felt that way.(UND playing NDSU close this year as an indicator that UND is ready to be a contender)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UND is consistently inconsistent. A lot of good players but not enough elite players. Still doesn’t have the needed depth. Has improved in most areas though over the last few years. Until you are a champion you are not.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It just seems like so many here are using a close game with NDSU to justify that UND is close to being at that level. I just don’t see the outcome of a single game win or lose being an indicator of whether or not those two teams are on the same level. Anything can happen in a single game. Ultimately, every single team is no better or worse than their actual record. 
 

Just trying to understand that thought process and if you also felt that way.(UND playing NDSU close this year as an indicator that UND is ready to be a contender)

Not what I wrote at all or even inferred.  There were posts before that also.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bison06 said:

It just seems like so many here are using a close game with NDSU to justify that UND is close to being at that level. I just don’t see the outcome of a single game win or lose being an indicator of whether or not those two teams are on the same level. Anything can happen in a single game. Ultimately, every single team is no better or worse than their actual record. 
 

Just trying to understand that thought process and if you also felt that way.(UND playing NDSU close this year as an indicator that UND is ready to be a contender)

Actually any team so no better than their last game. Would you allow some to think that getting beat by 6 is better than getting beat by 26 and that shows some level of improvement in a program? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bison06 said:

So had UND beaten NDSU and then NDSU had gone on to win the national championship, what would have been your conclusion about where the UND program is currently?

Of course the UND program would not be in the same spot.  If UND finishes that game in Grand Forks and wins the the national championship, the UND football program is in a much different and better place.  It didn't happen, and it didn't happen for the reasons UND program is where it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Actually any team so no better than their last game. Would you allow some to think that getting beat by 6 is better than getting beat by 26 and that shows some level of improvement in a program? 

I don’t think this is accurate. A team can be better than their last performance or worse than their last performance. Teams are different year to year and depending on timing during a season or simply variables from day to day with a team, you can tell almost nothing about a team based on the outcome of a single game. A team is the sum of its season, nothing more, nothing less.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I don’t think this is accurate. A team can be better than their last performance or worse than their last performance. Teams are different year to year and depending on timing during a season or simply variables from day to day with a team, you can tell almost nothing about a team based on the outcome of a single game. A team is the sum of its season, nothing more, nothing less.

 

If the outcome of a single game is meaningless, why do we bother with a playoff system? Wouldn't a mythical poll-based championship make more sense?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 2:21 PM, UND1983 said:

Vigen faked a field goal and had the kicker punt it from the NDSU 28 on 4th and 2 on the FIRST drive of the game.  The most gutless call in football history. 

Oh and it ended up being a touchback.  They netted 8 yards.

Would LOVE to hear Midwestern Hawk's thought on that one.  

The Giants just beat this for the most gutless with :

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-giants-offense-reaches-new-low-by-running-quarterback-sneak-on-third-and-9/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

UND is consistently inconsistent. A lot of good players but not enough elite players. Still doesn’t have the needed depth. Has improved in most areas though over the last few years. Until you are a champion you are not.

South Dakota State is in the same boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

If the outcome of a single game is meaningless, why do we bother with a playoff system? Wouldn't a mythical poll-based championship make more sense?

I never said the outcome was meaningless, I said you can tell almost nothing about a team from the outcome of a single game. Additionally, the context of my comment revolved around regular season games, obviously playoff games are different as they are elimination games.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, Bison06 said:

I never said the outcome was meaningless, I said you can tell almost nothing about a team from the outcome of a single game. Additionally, the context of my comment revolved around regular season games, obviously playoff games are different as they are elimination games.

Fair enough, regular season games are not different than playoff games. But to say that that you can tell almost nothing about a team from a single game (regular season or playoffs) is kinda silly don't you think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Fair enough, regular season games are not different than playoff games. But to say that that you can tell almost nothing about a team from a single game (regular season or playoffs) is kinda silly don't you think? 

read the context of my statement, I think it’ll make more sense what I’m trying to say here.

An extreme example to illustrate the point I am poorly attempting to convey.

If one team has a single win over a team that goes on to finish the season 13-1 and wins a national championship, which team is better that year?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

read the context of my statement, I think it’ll make more sense what I’m trying to say here.

An extreme example to illustrate the point I am poorly attempting to convey.

If one team has a single win over a team that goes on to finish the season 13-1 and wins a national championship, which team is better that year?

 

Jacks clearly the better team.  I mean, their trophy is much heavier. :wink:

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think izzo has dementia...

And again, if the playoff would expand to 12 teams, this would have been a year when NDSU would have been in the mix for a playoff spot. To play Georgia. Or Alabama. Or Michigan. Or keep playing Western Illinois, whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think izzo has dementia...

And again, if the playoff would expand to 12 teams, this would have been a year when NDSU would have been in the mix for a playoff spot. To play Georgia. Or Alabama. Or Michigan. Or keep playing Western Illinois, whatever.

Dom thinks they will be the next Cincinnati but they are not going to get there playing in the CUSA or MAC. Cinci would not have made the 12 team playoff if they didn’t have the rankedvNotre Dame win. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...