Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SIOUXFAN97

Was there a time before Tim Hennessy?

Recommended Posts

The only person I remember doing UND hockey radio broadcasts is the Great Tim H! I'm assuming that all hockey games way back in the day were all on the radio (maybe not)?  Let's get a list of who was the voice of UND hockey going back as far as we can.  

Tim Hennessy 1979 to present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a one year time when another guy was the radio voice.......maybe in the early 90's? I used to remember his name but don't anymore. Why they did this I think was because of a radio station change? They came to their senses and hired Tim back, although I don't remember that guy being bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article ion Sioux web site says it was 2 years, but they don't name the other guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

There was a one year time when another guy was the radio voice.......maybe in the early 90's? I used to remember his name but don't anymore. Why they did this I think was because of a radio station change? They came to their senses and hired Tim back, although I don't remember that guy being bad.

Dan Terhaar (Play-by-play announcer · 1993 to 1996)

Now he does the games for Minnesota United FC of MLS.

https://www.mnufc.com/schedule/broadcast-info/dan-terhaar

After he left Grand Forks, he went to call games for the Gophers from 1996 to 2005. Boy, was his timing bad! :lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the late 70s I recall that prior to Tim whoever they had left for a hockey job in San Diego. I think Tim was promoted and the rest is history. It was KNOX that had the games back then, again just my memory. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good question for a lot of reasons.  For one, I'd like to hear from the poor soul who had to broadcast from the old  barn.  I suspect they had heat in their booth, but that's not a given.   I don't recall where it was.  We students could at least keep warm by drinking and yelling profanities.  

It would also be interesting to hear if the fog ever got thick enough to make it difficult for them to keep track of the puck. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

In the late 70s I recall that prior to Tim whoever they had left for a hockey job in San Diego. I think Tim was promoted and the rest is history. It was KNOX that had the games back then, again just my memory. 

I believe this is correct. Tim mentioned who it was and what he was doing on one of his two appearances on the Sit Down and Cheer.Podcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cpa_guy said:

I believe this is correct. Tim mentioned who it was and what he was doing on one of his two appearances on the Sit Down and Cheer.Podcast.

I was attending UND and was a weekend announcer at KNOX at the time, sat through many hours of Casey Casum's America's Top 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Dan Terhaar (Play-by-play announcer · 1993 to 1996)

Now he does the games for Minnesota United FC of MLS.

https://www.mnufc.com/schedule/broadcast-info/dan-terhaar

After he left Grand Forks, he went to call games for the Gophers from 1996 to 2005. Boy, was his timing bad! :lol:

He did the Wild TV broadcasts for quite a few years with Mike Greenlay.  I certainly enjoyed him more than Anthony LaPanta.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cpa_guy said:

I believe this is correct. Tim mentioned who it was and what he was doing on one of his two appearances on the Sit Down and Cheer.Podcast.

My memory may be faulty after all these years, but the name that sticks in my mind is Bill Rendell doing play-by-play on KNOX.  I remember an interview with Jim Cahoon after the last game in the old Winter Sports Center (barn) in which he asked if Cahoon (a Montreal draft pick) was going to sign or come back and Cahoon answered that after 3 years in the old building, there was no way he was going to pass on the opportunity to play in the new arena.  Those with better memories - feel free to correct; I know how memory dysfunctions.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember in the 60's &70's Doug Tegtmeier at KNOX ( ND Sportscasters HOF). He was a good one.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northcountry said:

My memory may be faulty after all these years, but the name that sticks in my mind is Bill Rendell doing play-by-play on KNOX.  I remember an interview with Jim Cahoon after the last game in the old Winter Sports Center (barn) in which he asked if Cahoon (a Montreal draft pick) was going to sign or come back and Cahoon answered that after 3 years in the old building, there was no way he was going to pass on the opportunity to play in the new arena.  Those with better memories - feel free to correct; I know how memory dysfunctions.

Jim Cahoon was a class act. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, puck said:

I remember in the 60's &70's Doug Tegtmeier at KNOX ( ND Sportscasters HOF). He was a good one.

He was a great announcer. IIRC there was no "color guy". As good as TH is, he may have been better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...