Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Early Departures


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

His game doesn't translate well to the NHL.  He's undersized and not particularly fast.  Nice college player though.  The same AHL/Europe money will be there whether he leaves this year or next. 

If he leaves early his signing bonus won’t in the same universe as free agent AHL or Europe money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who can’t love that guy, bigger and stronger than he looks, great motor and am sure he’ll succeed at the next level or die trying! Never flashy, but one of my favorite players over the last four years

He'll fit right in with those mouth breathers. 

Because he hasn't won a national championship. Yet.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

Guch is not even close to being ready to go yet. It took him three seasons to have a stand out season, he needs at least another one to even be ready for the AHL

I have heard some say he needs another year to work on his skating.  What is one more year going to do for that.  If that hasn't improved by now, maybe give the next level a chance to improve it. People act like another year is going to do wonders for him.  He may end up being a lot like Ryan Duncan, who was an incredible college player, but maybe be missing an element to be a consistent performer at the next level.  That being the case, staying another year and getting his degree and maybe a championship wouldn't be a bad decision, but if he chooses to take the money now and start his career, more power to him. I don't think one more year here is going to make or break his playing career because unless he finds the right situation he most likely will be a borderline NHL player like a Corban Knight and Ryan Duncan who had a few limitations that hurt their chances at sticking at the next level and still had nice hockey careers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattim said:

Who can’t love that guy, bigger and stronger than he looks, great motor and am sure he’ll succeed at the next level or die trying! Never flashy, but one of my favorite players over the last four years!

3 sport HS athlete who got into the weight room. Good example for kids who want to play college hockey. Studies show the kids who play one sport year round have more injuries and peak earlier.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tnt said:

I have heard some say he needs another year to work on his skating.  What is one more year going to do for that.  If that hasn't improved by now, maybe give the next level a chance to improve it. People act like another year is going to do wonders for him.  He may end up being a lot like Ryan Duncan, who was an incredible college player, but maybe be missing an element to be a consistent performer at the next level.  That being the case, staying another year and getting his degree and maybe a championship wouldn't be a bad decision, but if he chooses to take the money now and start his career, more power to him. I don't think one more year here is going to make or break his playing career because unless he finds the right situation he most likely will be a borderline NHL player like a Corban Knight and Ryan Duncan who had a few limitations that hurt their chances at sticking at the next level and still had nice hockey careers.

Duncan is who I would compare him too. Both smaller and not great skaters which makes playing at the next level difficult. I think staying another year would be a benefit for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Duncan is who I would compare him too. Both smaller and not great skaters which makes playing at the next level difficult. I think staying another year would be a benefit for him. 

Duncan stayed all four years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It took Kawaguchi quite a while to slow the game down at this level.  There were times, even in his second year, when he didn't make good decisions under pressure.   He turned the corner, obviously, but the adjustment to pro hockey would be even bigger.   He should stay. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mattim said:

Who can’t love that guy, bigger and stronger than he looks, great motor and am sure he’ll succeed at the next level or die trying! Never flashy, but one of my favorite players over the last four years!

Kinda like Gardner except he didn't have a fridge and TV in the penalty box.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping for some good news this week on the UND front. Realizing the unprecedented times we are living in, I'm still kind of shocked of how little information has come out about which way UND guys are leaning. As I've written before, need the # to be 2 or less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This could be a motivator for guys on national title contending teams who were robbed at the chance of a title this year to come back for at least one more season.

The Pact Part 2

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guch definitely needs another year.  I don’t know what role he would currently play on an NHL team.  

JBD would really benefit with one more year.  I predict he stays.  He’s still young enough that Ottawa won’t be worried about free agency.  One more year preparing the body for the grind of pro hockey.

Pinto need look no further than all of the great UND forwards that played 2 years in college.  He’ll stay one more year.  Then he and JBD can head to Ottawa together.
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, SiouxFanatic said:

Link: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/03/college-notes-dhooghe-rathbone-flames-ufas.html

Don’t know how much stock to put in this considering the author thinks the Wisconsin player that transferred to ASU is a defenseman. It’d suck to see Guch go but I understand wanting to strike a good deal while the iron is hot. 

Completely agree. If he’s graduated or remotely close I’d assume he would sign and play a year or two on the A. Maybe he’ll get a shot.  My only worry with him and potentially making the show is his skating and overall hustle. He’s a guy who truly relies on his skill to get things done, especially on the PP. And there are a ton of super skilled guys like that with very limited spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be incredibly good to be a top two line guy in the NHL.  Does Guch have the ability and skill set to be a 3rd or 4th line guy?  There's a long list of college scorers that ain't gonna be PP guys in the NHL, and don't have the skill set to be a 3rd/4th line guy.

There's a reason guys like Porter/Rowney/Ryan Johnson get a shot in the NHL and Duncan, Kristo.... don't.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Completely agree. If he’s graduated or remotely close I’d assume he would sign and play a year or two on the A. Maybe he’ll get a shot.  My only worry with him and potentially making the show is his skating and overall hustle. He’s a guy who truly relies on his skill to get things done, especially on the PP. And there are a ton of super skilled guys like that with very limited spots.

I’m thinking as long as he doesn’t get hurt or really regress next year, he is better off delaying a year.  I mean best guess right now would be a rookie FA 2 year, 2 way deal...maybe he could get an additional couple hundred grand in incentives.  So there’d be a high likelihood that he’d get $170k to sign and $70k/ in the AHL.  His size and skating make him ill-suited for a bottom six role.  He’ll get that in a year and can be a college kid on scholarship this year if he stays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

You have to be incredibly good to be a top two line guy in the NHL.  Does Guch have the ability and skill set to be a 3rd or 4th line guy?  There's a long list of college scorers that ain't gonna be PP guys in the NHL, and don't have the skill set to be a 3rd/4th line guy.

There's a reason guys like Porter/Rowney/Ryan Johnson get a shot in the NHL and Duncan, Kristo.... don't.

Yes.  Exactly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheFlop said:

His game doesn't translate well to the NHL.  He's undersized and not particularly fast.  Nice college player though.  The same AHL/Europe money will be there whether he leaves this year or next. 

What he said.  He will be a marginal player in the NHL/AHL at his current ability level.  He needs more development and the best place for that is UND not minor league hockey.  Just overall will be better for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

You have to be incredibly good to be a top two line guy in the NHL.  Does Guch have the ability and skill set to be a 3rd or 4th line guy?  There's a long list of college scorers that ain't gonna be PP guys in the NHL, and don't have the skill set to be a 3rd/4th line guy.

There's a reason guys like Porter/Rowney/Ryan Johnson get a shot in the NHL and Duncan, Kristo.... don't.

We have got a Bingo.

This is exactly accurate.

In addition the teams success is why guys like Kristo dont get at least a game in the show at the end of a year, as a signing bonus.

Years where the team maybe faltered allow guys like Gersich to get a few in before an AHL/Europe career.

With this season end having so much uncertainty... Im not suprised we haven't heard much. 

Lots of uncertainty.

But absolutely nothing will happen before the hobey announcement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I’m thinking as long as he doesn’t get hurt or really regress next year, he is better off delaying a year.  I mean best guess right now would be a rookie FA 2 year, 2 way deal...maybe he could get an additional couple hundred grand in incentives.  So there’d be a high likelihood that he’d get $170k to sign and $70k/ in the AHL.  His size and skating make him ill-suited for a bottom six role.  He’ll get that in a year and can be a college kid on scholarship this year if he stays.

I could see that playing out as well.  I’d assume it has to do with where he is with his schooling and/or whether or not he really wants to come back.  They guys are on a “development path” so I’m sure if he’s graduated or close he’s ready to continue down that path. Some guys are different though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated List:

  • O'Conner (Dartmouth)
  • Turcotte (Wisconsin)
  • Miller (Wisconsin)
  • Swayman (Maine)
  • Mackey (Mankato)
  • Rueschhoff (Western)
  • Chaffee (UMass)

 

Returning: Caulfield (Wisconsin), Newhook (BC), Ranta (Minn), Beecher (Mich), York (Mich)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, mn_sioux said:

Just looking ahead... how many Hobey Baker award winners returned to play another year of college hockey?  Besides Ryan Duncan.

Duncan was the last to do so.  Marty Sertich, Ryan Miller, Paul Kariya (well...half a season), and Robb Stauber also came back after winning the Hobey Baker.  Of course, many Hobey Baker winners are Seniors, so they don't really get that chance.  Hopefully we can add Kawaguchi to this list.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, iramurphy said:

3 sport HS athlete who got into the weight room. Good example for kids who want to play college hockey. Studies show the kids who play one sport year round have more injuries and peak earlier.  

In theory, yes, but it's a lot harder to make varsity teams at Eden Prairie or other schools with huge enrollment numbers compared to Branierd. Smith didn't become a D1 prospect until he focused on hockey in juniors, and it took some time. It's one thing to specialize at the age of 9 or 10 and another at 15 or 16.

EDIT: Branierd High has much higher enrollment than I thought. Learn something new every day...

Link to post
Share on other sites

JBD - I think he is crazy to not sign pro contract unless the NCAA tourney being canceled is enough fuel for him: This guy has top-4 NHL defenseman written all over him and was the best defenseman on UND throughout the year.  Kiersted gets more points, but he's a gambler and can be a liability in the D-Zone at times.  Also note: UND has a LOT of talent they coming in on the back end for 2020-2021 season.

Speaking of Kiersted though, I think he's in a similar boat as #KawaHobey -  I think he'll end up signing a contract this summer.  His stock may never be higher with how many points he had this year and has great PP ability.  Same with above, there is too much talent on the blue-line joining the team for 2020-2021 that I'm not sure it makes sense to have any of the new guys wait another year (Kleven, Sanderson, Miller, Moore, Bast 2.0). 

As it stands right now, they have 11 D on the roster including incomers, and they probably will shave to 8 or 9 max:  Thoughts or any word on if Reiger would get cut or asked to leave? 

1) JBD  2) Kiersted  3) Gabe Bast  4) Frisch  5) Tychonick  6) Reiger  7) Kleven  8) Sanderson  9) Miller,  10) Luke Bast  11) Moore

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxhky19 said:

JBD - I think he is crazy to not sign pro contract unless the NCAA tourney being canceled is enough fuel for him: This guy has top-4 NHL defenseman written all over him and was the best defenseman on UND throughout the year.  Kiersted gets more points, but he's a gambler and can be a liability in the D-Zone at times.  Also note: UND has a LOT of talent they coming in on the back end for 2020-2021 season.

Speaking of Kiersted though, I think he's in a similar boat as #KawaHobey -  I think he'll end up signing a contract this summer.  His stock may never be higher with how many points he had this year and has great PP ability.  Same with above, there is too much talent on the blue-line joining the team for 2020-2021 that I'm not sure it makes sense to have any of the new guys wait another year (Kleven, Sanderson, Miller, Moore, Bast 2.0). 

As it stands right now, they have 11 D on the roster including incomers, and they probably will shave to 8 or 9 max:  Thoughts or any word on if Reiger would get cut or asked to leave? 

1) JBD  2) Kiersted  3) Gabe Bast  4) Frisch  5) Tychonick  6) Reiger  7) Kleven  8) Sanderson  9) Miller,  10) Luke Bast  11) Moore

Unless something has changed in the last couple of days. #9, #10, and #11 are not yet slated to come to UND next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...