SiouxSports.com Forum
Frozen4sioux

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

tame but still inappropriate, and react will likely be overly aggressive, fear lives everywhere

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/05/09_NCAA-No-Sports-Without-Students.php

It had been speculated that sports would not be played unless students were on campus, though some conferences felt otherwise. Emmert's announcement made it official.

Emmert did say, however, that sports would be possible if universities were using a "hybrid" approach.

“That doesn’t mean [schools have] to be up and running in the full normal model, but you’ve got to treat the health and well-being of the athletes at least as much as the regular students,” Emmert said. “So, if a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”

A "hybrid" approach is being discussed around the country. That would mean some students were on campus while others were doing remote learning. In some cases that could mean students switch off which days they go to physical class.

Let's cross our fingers for this hybrid approach to pan out, because I just don't see every university getting everything lined up for all students to return to campus by this fall.  If they can do hybrid for fall semester and then back to normal by spring semester?  Hopefully something like that would work...because selfishly, I want to see what this 20/21 UND team can do.  :)

• Upvote 1

My kingdom for a video of Bill Butters going after fans at the SW corner exit off the ice at the old barn (coal plant corner).  Prequel to the water bottle fight.  Woulda been the '71-72 season, I think. 

Not even Blackheart can pull this off. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, burd said:

My kingdom for a video of Bill Butters going after fans at the SW corner exit off the ice at the old barn (coal plant corner).  Prequel to the water bottle fight.  Woulda been the '71-72 season, I think. 

Not even Blackheart can pull this off. 

Hang on...I've got some 8mm I'm going through...;)

So with M. Miller coming next year and potentially Cooper Moore (I can see why they would bring him in, gonna lose a lot of veteran experience d-core after this year), is that it for the roster? Or is 1 forward coming in still too?

I feel like the coaches have so many puzzle pieces to bring in next year for that "1" remaining forward spot. 

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

So with M. Miller coming next year and potentially Cooper Moore (I can see why they would bring him in, gonna lose a lot of veteran experience d-core after this year), is that it for the roster? Or is 1 forward coming in still too?

I feel like the coaches have so many puzzle pieces to bring in next year for that "1" remaining forward spot. 

If both Miller and Moore come in, that puts us at 9 dmen, unless Reiger is moved to a more forward slot to take that open spot there as well.
Gonna be a very deep d-corp.

Where can I find an updated list of committed recruits?

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

If both Miller and Moore come in, that puts us at 9 dmen, unless Reiger is moved to a more forward slot to take that open spot there as well.
Gonna be a very deep d-corp.

I don't think it is a bad idea bringing in all of Sanderson, Kleven, Moore, and Miller next year.  As it stands now, only Sanderson will be thrust into a prominent top-4 role to begin the season.  The others can be sheltered and brought up to speed as they develop.  Going into 21-22 and beyond, this will definitely be a big plus, especially with how Berry has been recruiting dmen lately.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, as15 said:

I don't think it is a bad idea bringing in all of Sanderson, Kleven, Moore, and Miller next year.  As it stands now, only Sanderson will be thrust into a prominent top-4 role to begin the season.  The others can be sheltered and brought up to speed as they develop.  Going into 21-22 and beyond, this will definitely be a big plus, especially with how Berry has been recruiting dmen lately.

I’m not so sure we have a season, at least not a full season, and if that is the case how many of these guys go play Major Junior.  With all the talk of online classes before Christmas, I’m not sure how you can get all the Universities on the same page.  UND is going forward with no roommates in dorms next year, and I can see people that can’t get dorms might just go online. If that is the wave of the future it could change college athletics, and hurt hockey more than other sports.  I want to be optimistic, but the decision makers seem like they aren’t going to go forward with anything without a vaccine. I would hate to see it ruin a good thing we had going at UND.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

I’m not so sure we have a season, at least not a full season, and if that is the case how many of these guys go play Major Junior.  With all the talk of online classes before Christmas, I’m not sure how you can get all the Universities on the same page.  UND is going forward with no roommates in dorms next year, and I can see people that can’t get dorms might just go online. If that is the wave of the future it could change college athletics, and hurt hockey more than other sports.  I want to be optimistic, but the decision makers seem like they aren’t going to go forward with anything without a vaccine. I would hate to see it ruin a good thing we had going at UND.

You would think that Major Junior would have similar problems as the NCAA.  There are several Major Junior teams located in the United States.  What do you do with those teams if the United States doesn't allow sports but Canada does?  So many hurdles left for everyone still.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, as15 said:

You would think that Major Junior would have similar problems as the NCAA.  There are several Major Junior teams located in the United States.  What do you do with those teams if the United States doesn't allow sports but Canada does?  So many hurdles left for everyone still.

Exactly, Canada is not immune to this pandemic. The entire world is impacted by this.

11 hours ago, as15 said:

True, I just think Canada will find a way to have a season for their Major Junior teams, even with the hurdle of players and teams from both countries.  I hope hockey is up and running all the way around, but the talk concerns me.

well, Canada probably has more snowflakes...      lol rimshot thing, but they do take their puck pretty seriously, and socialize, they do that a bunch.

37 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

For those who feel hockey starts in Oct:

there are 120 days until the puck drops!

Oh it’s going to start in Oct 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not a big fan of the 3 on 3 OTs; seems too gimmicky to me.  It looks more like a skills competition or an All-Star game with only 6 guys on the ice. #okboomer

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Not a big fan of the 3 on 3 OTs; seems too gimmicky to me.  It looks more like a skills competition or an All-Star game with only 6 guys on the ice. #okboomer

I don't mind them as a second OT, but completely scrapping the normal 5x5x5 OT bothers me a bit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't mind them as a second OT, but completely scrapping the normal 5x5x5 OT bothers me a bit.

They seem to be more worried about the length of the games than anything else. Otherwise extending the 5 on 5 OT to 10 minutes would have been better.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Beats the hell out of a shootout. I love it myself 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Same, I love 5 on 5 overtimes. Usually provides plenty of action and scoring. 

See Bemidji St, SCSU, Western Michigan x2(including the Penrose clinching goal) last year

I don't think a 3x3 goal is as exciting or feels legitimate IMO. The positive I take away from it is OT will be uniform across NCAAs

• Upvote 1