SiouxSports.com Forum

#6 UND (15-17) vs #1 NDSU (24-8) 3/10 800 PM

SWSiouxMN

5 hours ago, tjamz said:

Wouldn't that mean that they should cheer for the Bison in the NCAA tourney? I mean, each time a Summit League team advances from one round to the next, the conference gets more money.... and that money gets paid for 6 years. Therefore there is no good reason not to cheer for your conference mates once your team is done (or at least be content they're still winning) as it does nothing but help the conference and it's member schools going forward.

Imagine selling your soul for $28,000 (0.1% of UND's athletic budget).

Last night's game was another great example of the role of momentum in a game. Often momentum can change during a game, but it did not. NDSU is not 30+ points better as evidenced by the score of the previous 2 games. The 9-0 lead was big, but NDSU was missing several shots at that point also and it felt like UND could get back into quickly. It very quickly went to 21-2 and UND never recovered.

I'm optimistic about Coach Sather to coach this team. I expect UND to be a contender most years in the Summit as long as he's there. NDSU has been to 5 tournaments, but they aren't always a top 2/3 team in the conference. The conference has been a 2-team race regarding the NCAA tournament, but there is no reason UND can't get into that group.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:34 AM, jdub27 said:

Despite what some claimed, Marlon was the best player on the floor last time these two teams met. 

I didn’t say he didn’t play the best that night during that game, I said he wasn’t the best BB player overall on the floor that night. And I was right.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Seems strange to me that the tournament would be set up with such a big disadvantage for the 2, 3, 6, and 7 seeds.  Not getting a rest would definitely impact the result.  Do most league tournaments do that?

Rewarding teams that do well in the regular season is a good thing. The 1 and 2 seeds should get that advantage. It is the 3,4,5 and 6 seeds that would have to play 3 days in a row.

22 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I have no issue with the way the Summit has it set up.  The top 2 seeds should have some sort of reward if you are not going to include all the teams. 

My bad.  Didn't realize the 2 seed also got a day off.  Agree then  that it is set up the way it should be.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to comment.  Lots of Summit League teams have gone through their conf schedules with very short benches.  SDSU especially has kept it shorts.   NDSU has gone 8-10 deep compared to others 7-8 during the conf schedule and leading up to March.  It pays off come tourney time.  It’s like being short on the DL, eventually it bites you.   It wasn’t as big of a factor this  year (unless you look at und lack of depth), but in ‘19, depth is the only way you win 3 in a row as a 4 seed.  I don’t hear please talk about it,  it you have to credit Dave R for developing his bench when others are working to limit their bench.

6 minutes ago, Herd said:

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to comment.  Lots of Summit League teams have gone through their conf schedules with very short benches.  SDSU especially has kept it shorts.   NDSU has gone 8-10 deep compared to others 7-8 during the conf schedule and leading up to March.  It pays off come tourney time.  It’s like being short on the DL, eventually it bites you.   It wasn’t as big of a factor this  year (unless you look at und lack of depth), but in ‘19, depth is the only way you win 3 in a row as a 4 seed.

What didn't help either is playing at 8:30, 8:30, and 8:00 three nights in a row on the road.  They looked like zombies come Tuesday night and the scoreboard showed it.  :)

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

What didn't help either is playing at 8:30, 8:30, and 8:00 three nights in a row on the road.  They looked like zombies come Tuesday night and the scoreboard showed it.  :)

Which is what NDSU did in ‘19 from the 4 seed.  You need a longer bench, developed throughout the season, to weather 3 in a row at the tournament.  

9 minutes ago, Herd said:

Which is what NDSU did in ‘19 from the 4 seed.  You need a longer bench, developed throughout the season, to weather 3 in a row at the tournament.  

I know NDSU played 3 in a row but they also played at 6, 6, and 8.  That's a bit of a difference IMO.  They weren't going to bed at midnight back to back nights.  UND wasn't winning that game anyway but they looked completely shot mentally and physically.   With short bench being a part.  

25 minutes ago, Herd said:

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to comment.  Lots of Summit League teams have gone through their conf schedules with very short benches.  SDSU especially has kept it shorts.   NDSU has gone 8-10 deep compared to others 7-8 during the conf schedule and leading up to March.  It pays off come tourney time.  It’s like being short on the DL, eventually it bites you.   It wasn’t as big of a factor this  year (unless you look at und lack of depth), but in ‘19, depth is the only way you win 3 in a row as a 4 seed.  I don’t hear please talk about it,  it you have to credit Dave R for developing his bench when others are working to limit their bench.

So most teams are limiting their bench.  Really.  Let's talk after next season.  

7 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

So most teams are limiting their bench.  Really.  Let's talk after next season.  

SDSU yes, previous coach played hardly anyone off the bench.  Sather seems to like a very limited bench too.  Why he redshirted players and kept others on bench when they could have helped was interesting.  Not recruited by him, you had no shot it seemed.

13 hours ago, Herd said:

SDSU yes, previous coach played hardly anyone off the bench.  Sather seems to like a very limited bench too.  Why he redshirted players and kept others on bench when they could have helped was interesting.  Not recruited by him, you had no shot it seemed.

I don't know that Sather likes a short bench.  He just didn't have much on the bench that he was confident in.  Next year's depth should be much better, I'd expect him to use bench more.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I don't know that Sather likes a short bench.  He just didn't have much on the bench that he was confident in.  Next year's depth should be much better, I'd expect him to use bench more.  

Almost the entire bench is gone - should tell you alot!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Herd said:

You are a little late :p

In all seriousness, UNDs bench did catch up with them at the end and NDSU has done a good job with their bench.  In UND's case, they had very little bench.  UND would have lucky to get 6-8 points a game from their bench last year.  With the incoming recruits and Brady and G's development, that should hopefully fix the issue. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

You are a little late :p

In all seriousness, UNDs bench did catch up with them at the end and NDSU has done a good job with their bench.  In UND's case, they had very little bench.  UND would have lucky to get 6-8 points a game from their bench last year.  With the incoming recruits and Brady and G's development, that should hopefully fix the issue. 

He was playing his Freshman recruit a lot.  He had guys with more talent in the bench.  It felt like he wanted them gone, but if he played them and they demo’ed talent, he would be challenged to keep them in the program. Very weird deal, how he treated previous recruits.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Herd said:

He was playing his Freshman recruit a lot.  He had guys with more talent in the bench.  It felt like he wanted them gone, but if he played them and they demo’ed talent, he would be challenged to keep them in the program. Very weird deal, how he treated previous recruits.

Who on the bench would have provided more?

7 hours ago, Herd said:

keyword his...when a coaching change happens there is always a roster turnover bc the new coach might stress d over o, size over speed, and whatnot.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:37 AM, Herd said:

Disagree - Sather plays kids that help the team and he likes a deep bench.  This year, he had 7 players who averaged at least 10 minutes/game and one of them was Moody - who played in only 9 games.  In his previous 5 seasons at Northern, he had 8, 8 10, 10 & 9 players who averaged 10 minutes/game.  Bottom line - there was very little talent on the bench and the one player who redshirted would not have helped.  

I thought this last year it seemed to me that Sather passed on needs of this team and when we got into the season those needs showed up in make up this team. His two recruits Danielson and Ramsey sure didn't fill the needs of this team for this past year. I have got to believe if Jones was here he would have brought in another point guard either Juco or graduate transfer to build depth and then we could have used small forward that could drive and shoot from outside which my mind probably would have been graduate program kid. I have got to believe he just didn't see the potential of this team when he first came here and talent he did have. I also got to believe he's learned  from this season  that division I basketball different than division II basketball  on how you need to compete and what you need for skill levels to succeed.  That's why i do believe in  Sather in that he is very intelligent and learns very quickly what he needs to do become successful at what ever level he's at. Because i find it interesting the players he's recruited for next year are similar to what left UND but several of them may even have more athletic ability but are same size and  will play similar roles on next years team. Only player so far he has not totally found is Stuart in point guard  but he was in running on several players  that  were similar  so he was trying to put together similar team that  like team he inherited this year.  Sather has basketball knowledge and shown ability to adapt  i beleive based on past year, and for most part players returning seem to have bought in, and one thing he does extremely well is getting along with media. The next big hurdle will be his judgement of talent to see if they play to up to what been represented to us. I believe we should have competitive team for the Summit League for next year.