SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

17 minutes ago, franchise said:

My bank account would have appreciated if Santa Clara County shut down large crowds prior to the NFC Championship game

So if ARog throws an INT in an empty stadium does anyone actually see it?

Misters Huxley & Orwell wrote great dystopian novels, only thing is, they knew what was coming & their novels weren't fiction. One of the perks of being in the club, I guess. Silence is complicity.

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

• Upvote 1

Italy's "quarantine" where you can still go to work and stores... Restaurants are open 8am-6pm. Realistically all their doing is asking you to self quarantine and if you need to go out stay a meter away from others. We're only going to allow three people in the store at a time but feel free to form a line (one meter apart) outside for your turn to get it. Quarantine doesn't mean nobody is allowed outside.

Here's the missing piece. Hospital beds and staffing are related to what has been the normal. This isn't like flu....it's on top of flu.  So if your hospital is full due to regular flu....where I live is has been very full since December.....you need to find away to have supportive treatment for a group of people you are literally not ready for. They have been aggressively moving people from our ICU to regular floors for months here. Also turning away transfers from smaller hospitals and boarding people in our Emergency Department for days at times. If we need more ICU beds what we will do is an uncomfortable thought. From reading patients who require intensive care for Covid 19 require it for some time. Throw in a 14 days out of work for staff if they are exposed without PPE and you start to brew trouble. The best thing that can be expected is we have people slowly get the virus so they can be supported if they require it. This requires social distancing.

I'll check back into this thread in 6 weeks and I bet the prevailing opinion is that we should have done more earlier

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I go back to if this is the precedent that is being set because of something slightly greater than the common cold for a vast majority of the population why the **** do we have school for our kids in this part of the country from October thru April moving forward???

Perhaps because those people who aren’t severely affected are going to think that since they’re not very sick, it’s okay for them to go to work, school, church, public gatherings, etc. This would lead to spread to the elderly. Do people who are saying, “It’s not that bad if you’re under 60!” not care about older citizens?

34 minutes ago, 802Sioux said:

Here's the missing piece. Hospital beds and staffing are related to what has been the normal. This isn't like flu....it's on top of flu.  So if your hospital is full due to regular flu....where I live is has been very full since December.....you need to find away to have supportive treatment for a group of people you are literally not ready for. They have been aggressively moving people from our ICU to regular floors for months here. Also turning away transfers from smaller hospitals and boarding people in our Emergency Department for days at times. If we need more ICU beds what we will do is an uncomfortable thought. From reading patients who require intensive care for Covid 19 require it for some time. Throw in a 14 days out of work for staff if they are exposed without PPE and you start to brew trouble. The best thing that can be expected is we have people slowly get the virus so they can be supported if they require it. This requires social distancing.

I'll check back into this thread in 6 weeks and I bet the prevailing opinion is that we should have done more earlier

Please do...…...CDC's low end estimates of 350K hospitalizations due to influenza so far this flu season. High estimates are at 620K hospitalizations. I think most hospital facilities will be more than able to handle the critical cases of corona which won't even come close to 350K.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Perhaps because those people who aren’t severely affected are going to think that since they’re not very sick, it’s okay for them to go to work, school, church, public gatherings, etc. This would lead to spread to the elderly. Do people who are saying, “It’s not that bad if you’re under 60!” not care about older citizens?

That's what you have gleaned from all this media coverage? Do you not think anyone over 60 isn't at risk of mortality from influenza?

Seriously...…..

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Please do...…...CDC's low end estimates of 350K hospitalizations due to influenza so far this flu season. High estimates are at 620K hospitalizations. I think most hospital facilities will be more than able to handle the critical cases of corona which won't even come close to 350K.  

I've been wrong before. But we should know way more by that time.

9 minutes ago, 802Sioux said:

I've been wrong before. But we should know way more by that time.

I'm with you on your first statement.  I'm more than fully aware of the potential issues with this virus but at some point as a society we need to keep this issue in perspective...….and right now we have none.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That's what you have gleaned from all this media coverage? Do you not think anyone over 60 isn't at risk of mortality from influenza?

Seriously...…..

I do not think people over 60 aren’t at risk from flu complications, I’m well aware that they are. How about addressing the other part of my post?

13 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

I do not think people over 60 aren’t at risk from flu complications, I’m well aware that they are. How about addressing the other part of my post?

What do you want to know? Go back in this thread and read up.

Since we haven’t tested with scale we don’t know what the denominator is. 
So today‘s statistics are almost meaningless.

Some states have tested less than 5 symptomatic individuals, mostly due to lack of resources. As of 5 days ago Ohio (population of 11.5 million) had performed 10 tests. Looking at the eastern map, WV is about the only state without reported infection, but they’ve run only 3 tests. With the newly available kits we will get a realistic view over the next month.

It may be overblown but we don’t know, but as we know this is about rate of acceleration and early exhaustion of medical resources which can kill an economy (and people). The history of pandemics shows there are only small windows of opportunity.

Not that big a deal to let a college extend spring break using Zoom technology, and let the traveling up to 6,000 international,  plus vacationing domestic students, essentially put themselves on loose home confinement.  

We have a great hockey team. Keep working hard.  

I'm mostly concerned about whether this is a hoax by the left wing media, or a trial run by the government to see how much they can restrict our movement. 

If all of the experts here can't even decide which conspiracy this is, how will we ever have a chance to survive it?

Release from UND:

On March 9, in close coordination with the Grand Forks and North Dakota Departments of Health, a University of North Dakota student was tested for the possibility of COVID-19, also known as Coronavirus.

Test results are still pending.

The student has agreed to be self-quarantined apart from general populations, pending confirmation of test results.

The University plans to issue updates on this evolving situation as more information develops.

Students with concerns about their health or symptoms they are experiencing are urged to call ahead to UND Student Health Services, at 701.777.4500, before coming into the facility. Student Health professionals can advise students on next steps. Faculty and staff are encouraged to contact their primary health care provider.

random thoughts

Probably overblown some - but I don’t know 

no cure

the whole thing has affected our lives and will for at least a while

part of the administration job is to prevent a panic - problem we have is many don’t trust the administration and the others don’t trust the media

easy route is to say just ignore and we will be fine - if you know that then you know more than most

I just want it all to be figured out so we can move on with life

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic