SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

CNN interviewed Cuomo the other night - you could actually see the disappointment on her face when Cuomo said that he had a good conversation with Trump regarding how things were going in New York.

Either the CNN interviewer was disappointed as you say or you saw in her face what you wanted to see. Could be either one.

45 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

That is probably not a stupid question but I don’t know anything about the EPA and herbicides so I don’t know what that means. 

Since hydroxychloroquine is already approved by the FDA, prescribers are free to use it for any reason they choose, even if it’s complete nonsense. That is off-label use. Ideally some well-designed studies would show a benefit before off-label use happens, but FDA approval isn’t needed for those studies to my knowledge. 

Let's say a herbicide gets labelled in wheat for a specific weed.  Then there's an 'outbreak' of that same weed in flax.  A section 18 label can be applied for to legally use that product in flax.  It has restrictions as to how long it can be used for that application.  Just curious if something like that could work in the pharma industry.

I don't have a background in medicine,  but I do have a background in data analysis in other scientific field. I've seen the suggestion that the significance of testing for coronavirus has been overblown. The suggestion was made in the context of a discussion of the lack of testing capacity, especially in the initial phase of the pandemic. What any experienced data analyst knows is that data analysis often leads to insights that were not anticipated prior to the analysis. Indeed, inductive reasoning is commonly underappreciated. 

12 minutes ago, TBR said:

I don't have a background in medicine,  but I do have a background in data analysis in other scientific field. I've seen the suggestion that the significance of testing for coronavirus has been overblown. The suggestion was made in the context of a discussion of the lack of testing capacity, especially in the initial phase of the pandemic. What any experienced data analyst knows is that data analysis often leads to insights that were not anticipated prior to the analysis. Indeed, inductive reasoning is commonly underappreciated. 

I don’t disagree that it would be incredibly useful for data analysis.  The practical application of testing the universe to learn things that I believe we all know intuitively i.e it’s a highly contagious bug that is probably going to get everyone sick at some point in their lives however is moot in my opinion.  Unless you are talking full blown Marshall law containment.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I don’t disagree that it would be incredibly useful for data analysis.  The practical application of testing the universe to learn things that I believe we all know intuitively i.e it’s a highly contagious bug that is probably going to get everyone sick at some point in their lives however is moot in my opinion.  Unless you are talking full blown Marshall law containment.

Well, I wasn't referencing testing for what we already know. I was alluding to gaining insight into details of the virus that we don't know.

17 minutes ago, TBR said:

I don’t think the significance of testing is overblown at all. It’s a moot point until we have the resources to do so. Give us the ability to test and we can test everyone. Right now we don’t have the capacity to do so, therefore we tell people with milder symptoms to stay home in order to protect others. Data analysis will have to wait until we have the resources to test everyone. In the meantime we deal with patients with the resources we have. 

1 minute ago, TBR said:

Well, I wasn't referencing testing for what we already know. I was alluding to gaining insight into details of the virus that we don't know.

Yeah, right now the approach of testing people who seem like they have it isn’t all that helpful, especially in locales where results are taking nearly a week to come back. I work with a lot of learners and I always talk with them about how we are prone to overusing tests simply because of the gratification that comes with thinking your patient has a particular virus, then being proven correct by a test. 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Corona and Hockey (Enter at your own risk)
47 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t think the significance of testing is overblown at all. It’s a moot point until we have the resources to do so. Give us the ability to test and we can test everyone. Right now we don’t have the capacity to do so, therefore we tell people with milder symptoms to stay home in order to protect others. Data analysis will have to wait until we have the resources to test everyone. In the meantime we deal with patients with the resources we have. 

If you think you have it, assume that you do and self quarantine. If you start to have serious issues call your doctor.

If you feel as though you are healthy and do not have it, assume the next person you will run into does. Practice Social Distancing.

• Upvote 2

I started feeling sick on Monday with what I perceived to be influenza and have been at home since then.  Must have had 20 friends and co-workers suggest that I immediately go get tested for COVID-19.  Shaking my head...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, keikla said:

I agree with this in general, but I struggle with it when it's a HCP.  Per current state guidelines (prone to change at any minute), anyone who worked with the positive employee and continues to work while asymptomatic needs to wear a mask for 14 days post-exposure.  We can't spare the masks unless we know the symptoms were really covid.

if the incubation period is up to 12 days and infected people may start shedding before symptom onset, it would take way more that one test to clear the exposed person from mask use. Unfortunately there’s not an easy answer, given the PPE shortage.  

14 minutes ago, petey23 said:

If you think you have it, assume that you do and self quarantine. If you start to have serious issues call your doctor.

If you feel as though you are healthy and do not have it, assume the next person you will run into does. Practice Social Distancing.

Yes that’s called common sense, unfortunately a large segment of Americans don't exhibit as such.  

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I started feeling sick on Monday with what I perceived to be influenza and have been at home since then.  Must have had 20 friends and co-workers suggest that I immediately go get tested for COVID-19.  Shaking my head...

If you have the means to do it, why wouldn't you? 

5 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Yes that’s called common sense, unfortunately a large segment of Americans don't exhibit as such.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2020/03/19/spring-break-beaches-florida-look-packed-despite-coronavirus-spread/2873248001/

Click on the video of the spring breakers for a good chuckle...Bryson Taylor at the end - laugh out loud funny.

47 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I hope you feel better soon

56 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

A.  Because I didnt believe I had it 

B.  Isn't there a shorting of testing availability?  

There’s a catastrophic overall shortage, but that doesn't mean it extends to your particular area   Call your doctor and find out.

Plus its not like you have the sniffles. You said you've been too sick with the flu to go to work for 4 days.   Most people see the doctor if they’re out of work that long, covid or not.   I mean there are studies now that suggest even digestive issues can be the first sign of covid.   

A significant reason for testing is to keep everyone safe; not just yourself.  If you have the means, you’re  a prime candidate.   

Stay safe and get well soon!  

16 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

There’s a catastrophic overall shortage, but that doesn't mean it extends to your particular area   Call your doctor and find out.

Plus its not like you have the sniffles. You said you've been too sick with the flu to go to work for 4 days.   Most people see the doctor if they’re out of work that long, covid or not.   I mean there are studies now that suggest even digestive issues can be the first sign of covid.   

A significant reason for testing is to keep everyone safe; not just yourself.  If you have the means, you’re  a prime candidate.   

Stay safe and get well soon!  

If you exhibit any illness, regardless of severity, you're supposed to stay home right now.  Most colds, even minor ones, take multiple days to get over.

He said he's self-quarantining, so he is keeping everybody else safe.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I already said I didn't believe I had it, so why give into the panic and waste a test?  My symptoms are very much that of the flu.  After a not-so-great day yesterday, I'm feeling significantly better today, although not nearly 100%.  I'll be fine.    

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I already said I didn't believe I had it, so why give into the panic and waste a test?  My symptoms are very much that of the flu.  After a not-so-great day yesterday, I'm feeling significantly better today, although not nearly 100%.  I'll be fine.    

I’ll give a concurring opinion. You may have it. We don’t have enough knowledge of the range of symptoms yet. However, there’s no real need to test. My employer just released their latest testing guidelines and say no testing for mild to moderate illness. They say stay home for seven days or until three day after symptom resolution, whichever is longer.