SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

36 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Good info- so case growth is similar, but death rate is very different.  Coronavirus deaths tracking same slope as infections where H1N1 was a very different slope on death.  This chart would indicate a lethality far greater than the overall % being described broadly.

I hear Osterholm often on the radio and probably depend on his info too much.   I just heard an interview from yesterday and he said the statistics say 160-214 million in US infected over the next 6-8 months.   Also at very best 200k will die and up to 1.7M.

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Let me start by admitting I’m not a Trump fan but that doesn’t mean I would support people continuing to regurgitate misinformation.  Nobody knows what would happen if testing was available earlier. If you do the minimum research, you would learn that the WHO did not offer nor did the US refuse test kits. A laboratory in Germany and the CDC both developed the first test kits on January 21. No one new that production of the test kits in the US would be complicated and slowed by problems with a reagent used in these tests. The other problem was that on February 4 the head of Health and Human Services declared a “public health emergency “.  That meant that capable labs across the country were prohibited by legislation passed in 2009, to produce test kits. That meant those labs had to petition the FDA to get permission to produce test kits. One of the labs in Wadsworth,NY received permission on February 28.  Other labs also received permission. His mistake was the early comments understating the seriousness of this disease and later overstating our ability to test. Trump did not fire “everyone with experience handling this”. He did close down the National Security Council’s office assigned responsibility for “Pandemics/“Bioterrorism”.  There are many who worked there who felt then, and now, that was a mistake. There was also a recent article where a former Obama administration official stated that Trump closed the office, but he consolidated those responsibilities to another office in a move consolidating 3 departments in order to decrease costs and improve efficiency.  I couldn’t verify that article about consolidation nor if true if they are effective. Having said that the CDC has the personnel with the training and experience to deal with this. To criticize and insult  those who disagree with your opinions is exactly what helped Trump get elected in the first place. 
We tested a patient yesterday. Where do you live where you don’t think you can be tested.  If you mean you can’t get tested because you are “afraid” but have no symptoms or exposure, that is because routine testing for asymptomatic patients with no known risks is not medically indicated. 
We will get through this better if people put their politics aside and wait to point fingers and blame until we get through this. 

If a person presents with symptoms and is negative for the flu and other diseases can they be tested for Covid19?  Can nurses, doctors, EMT's and other personnel who are exposed to Covid19 be tested?  They absolutely cannot in most metropolitan areas and absolutely cannot be tested in the state of Minnesota per the Minnesota Department of Health's statement in the Star tribune today.   That's unacceptable.  

Also I call BS on your statement that insulting people who disagree with your opinions is what led to Trump's election.  Insulting his political opponents is all that he does as evidenced by him going after the Democratic Governor's of Michigan, Illinois, and Washington for defying him politically.  If he'd devoted one-tenth of his attention to this epidemic as he does to insulting people on Twitter and at his hate rally's we wouldn't be in this place.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

If a person presents with symptoms and is negative for the flu and other diseases can they be tested for Covid19?  Can nurses, doctors, EMT's and other personnel who are exposed to Covid19 be tested?  They absolutely cannot in most metropolitan areas and absolutely cannot be tested in the state of Minnesota per the Minnesota Department of Health's statement in the Star tribune today.   That's unacceptable.  

Also I call BS on your statement that insulting people who disagree with your opinions is what led to Trump's election.  Insulting his political opponents is all that he does as evidenced by him going after the Democratic Governor's of Michigan, Illinois, and Washington for defying him politically.  If he'd devoted one-tenth of his attention to this epidemic as he does to insulting people on Twitter and at his hate rally's we wouldn't be in this place.

Just curious- what place would we be in?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

Perhaps had Inslee not insulted Trump when VP Pence called him last week offering help maybe Trump wouldn't have returned the favor.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, keikla said:

Okay so ARBs bind AT1 only, not AT2.  Covid (and SARS) is believed to bind and enter the cell via ACE2.  I'll be the first to admit that the RAAS system isn't my forte, but I don't get how that will provide benefit.

I agree. I think we are “shotgunning” a bit but losartan should be relatively safe.  

8 minutes ago, keikla said:

It is (or was).  But if demand goes up suddenly and extensively cause everyone wants to throw the kitchen sink at the more critical covid patients, that extra supply just isn't available.  And, as Oxbow noted, that could negatively impact a lot of people who are on it as a maintenance med.

My guess would be the producers wouldn’t price gauge at least for awhile. 

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If anyone thinks this society can deal with 6-8 weeks more less 6-8 months of lockdown, an unknown end point, no security financially and reduced personal freedom wise.......not even taking into account the overall mental toll those making the decision are missing the big picture. We can't as a society of 330M+ wait 6-8 months to watch the last body hit the floor before we pick up the pieces  in all sectors of society and move on. Might sound jaded but we didn't bat an eye when 36K (estimated) died from this year's flu season.

You are correct in stating this has to be considered. I believe the hope is that we get lucky with one of the treatments being tested or lucky with speed of vaccine. Our area schools were told 2-4 weeks. If we stem the tide somehow they may loosen the recommendations. Like it or not as time goes on the economy becomes a big part of the health of our people and no longer just about money. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct in stating this has to be considered. I believe the hope is that we get lucky with one of the treatments being tested or lucky with speed of vaccine. Our area schools were told 2-4 weeks. If we stem the tide somehow they may loosen the recommendations. Like it or not as time goes on the economy becomes a big part of the health of our people and no longer just about money. 

Its time to get lucky. 

I'm optimistic they will get lucky.  The world is due for a break. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I want to offer a hearty thanks to Ira, Keikla and the others on here that are in the health care industry.

We rely on you to keep fighting the good fight.

Yes- thank you.  Frontline docs, nurses, and other care givers are so deserving of that thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I want to offer a hearty thanks to Ira, Keikla and the others on here that are in the health care industry.

We rely on you to keep fighting the good fight.

I second this, it’s been great to have qualified people on here who are in the fight keeping us all up to date.

• Like 1

Think about this as we shut down everything everywhere.......99.9% of all businesses in the US fall under category of "small business". Think of where we are at if 5-10% of these can't recover and go under after all the dust settles from COVID.