SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

23 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

We wouldn't have this lockdown situation if the country would have had access to testing earlier and had testing readily available.  We didn't have access to testing and do not have access to testing now because Trump declined the WHO's test. He declined the tests because he figured positive tests would be bad for his re-election.  He also fired most of the people with experience handling something like this in 2018 and hampered the work of those left behind.  

You can try and blame this on the media all you want but we're here because this administration is incompetent and criminally corrupt and you're not going to get 60% of this country to turn a blind eye to it just because you have.

He did not fire most of the people working on “something like this” in 2018. There was a restructuring.   A couple people who were there then, and are still there now, have recently spoken out against these ridiculous claims.  But I wouldn’t expect you to know that since you probably also think Trump called it all a hoax a month after he banned travel from China 

What were your thoughts on Obama, when a much less deadly virus killed over 12,000 Americans 10 years ago?  

21 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Incorrect.  We are not where we are today because of a lack of test kits.  There was no way, repeat again, zero, no way that we were going to use test kits to isolate and contain every positive person (and carrier object) out there.  And even if by some crazy miracle we did, quarantine does not work- read the models.  

This virus is airborne- woukd you use the test kits to find the positive and then just kill them and incinerate their bodies?  Would you separate the uninfected and lock them in clean rooms and let the sick battle it out.

How did Taiwan do it then?

ok leaving now:)

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Ask Gov. Walz.  He seems to be level headed. :blink:

Well, how could you not have faith in Andrew Zimmern and his Minnesota Gopher football jersey yesterday?  Don’t panic, Minnesota, just “row the boat,” I guess!

1 minute ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

ND cases have tripled and doubled in ward county alone. 

Ward 60+ male

Cass 20+ female with history of recent international travel

1 hour ago, dlsiouxfan said:

We wouldn't have this lockdown situation if the country would have had access to testing earlier and had testing readily available.  We didn't have access to testing and do not have access to testing now because Trump declined the WHO's test. He declined the tests because he figured positive tests would be bad for his re-election.  He also fired most of the people with experience handling something like this in 2018 and hampered the work of those left behind.  

You can try and blame this on the media all you want but we're here because this administration is incompetent and criminally corrupt and you're not going to get 60% of this country to turn a blind eye to it just because you have.

Not blaming media for this

if we didn’t and don’t have testing how the hell did we confirm the number of positive tests.

anyone that depends on government to solve your problems will be waiting a long time

from what I hear it was the government bureaucracies that prevented testing to get out earlier
I only have one good eye so I guess I know which eye I must have turned.

20 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I would advise all intelligent people to avoid entertainment media for answers:

Fox, MSNBC, CNN, NPR...all not good sources for unbiased info.  

That only leaves the GFH and Sioux sports for answers 

• Upvote 1

For those who can stand to read dense material, this is a good view of what some smart people in the UK are saying:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

TLDR: UK and US can get results like Lombardy, Italy (catastrophic) or like South Korea (minor), depending on what policy actions are implemented and how well the population complies with policies.  

41 minutes ago, keikla said:

Current items being studied (that I know of) and/or showed some effectiveness against SARS:

1) ascorbic acid IV

2) hydroxychloroquine 400mg BID x1 day then 200mg BID x4 days

3) Solaris (as if anyone can afford to be trialing that...)

4) Kaletra - poor lit from SARS but I've heard more positive anecdotal evidence for covid

Of course all of these items are immediately backordered, as is propofol (made in italy), cis/roc/succ. etc., fentanyl, ativan IV, all nebs and inhalers, solumedrol.  You know, basically anything you could ever possibly want for an ARDS or vented pt.

I've read reports of a couple others, for which effectiveness could be described currently as "hypothesized":

5) Tocilizumab (Roche doing a study in China).

6) Remdesivir 

7) Losartan

4 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I’m still at a loss trying to understand why this is so different than H1N1 flu.  I understand trying to mitigate an explosion, but you can avoid dying in a car crash or a plane crash by never leaving home.

Here's an example of how they are different. 

It compares the number of cases of each virus in days after the 60th case - they are similar.  It also shows the number of deaths on the same timeline.  it might be one reason why Osterholm and other epidemiologists are so alarmed that it could explode.  Source is WHO data, Worldometer.

image.png.436e0d40e6c497a26ee32e5c34db4ae2.png

• Upvote 2

Just now, keikla said:

Hahaha that was my reaction too.  Queue the music... "one of these things is not like the other."

I'm in a state of amazement at how fast research is progressing.   Tangible progress like understanding the cellular mechanisms, etc.

And of course hoping there's a pharma solution in our vast array of drugs that will mediate infections between now and when a vaccine is available.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Here's an example of how they are different. 

It compares the number of cases of each virus in days after the 60th case - they are similar.  It also shows the number of deaths on the same timeline.  it might be one reason why Osterholm and other epidemiologists are so alarmed that it could explode.  Source is WHO data, Worldometer.

image.png.436e0d40e6c497a26ee32e5c34db4ae2.png

Good info- so case growth is similar, but death rate is very different.  Coronavirus deaths tracking same slope as infections where H1N1 was a very different slope on death.  This chart would indicate a lethality far greater than the overall % being described broadly.

1 hour ago, keikla said:

Current items being studied (that I know of) and/or showed some effectiveness against SARS:

1) ascorbic acid IV

2) hydroxychloroquine 400mg BID x1 day then 200mg BID x4 days

3) Solaris (as if anyone can afford to be trialing that...)

4) Kaletra - poor lit from SARS but I've heard more positive anecdotal evidence for covid

Of course all of these items are immediately backordered, as is propofol (made in italy), cis/roc/succ. etc., fentanyl, ativan IV, all nebs and inhalers, solumedrol.  You know, basically anything you could ever possibly want for an ARDS or vented pt.

Hopefully all the Rheumatology patients in this country that count on hydroxychloroquine to manage their day to day issues to help them maintain some quality of life aren't shortchanged because we are trying to throw something at the wall to see if it sticks.