SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

15 minutes ago, keikla said:

PSA: If you or a loved one have a health condition that needs medical attention, please do not let anything related to covid scare you away from seeking help.  DO NOT WAIT until your symptoms are more critical for fear of 1) being unable to get care, 2) being a strain on the healthcare system, and/or 3) getting covid at the hospital.

While our covid cases are constantly increasing, we're finding a massive decrease in admissions for heart failure, COPD, uncontrolled a.fib, etc..  We're not naive enough to think these issues just disappeared.  We're worried that patients who need care are hesitant/scared to receive it.  The concern is that by wanting to avoid the healthcare system due to covid, patients may wait until their symptoms for non-covid issues are more critical before they seek help.  This may lead to worse health outcomes and require more healthcare resources in the long run.

When patients have bombarded with the "fact" everywhere they turn that this virus is their single greatest risk to their mortality what did you expect???

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, keikla said:

I think some of it is the message of "Stay home if you don't need to go to the hospital."  And while that message is definitely valid to some extent, I think it is being misinterpreted by patients in terms of what warrants going to the hospital.  I'd rather have patients at least call the ER for clarification than just assume that they should to stay home.

Patients are seeing everything shut down around them because "this is 10x worse than the flu and if you are over 70 and get this virus you're gonna die". What impression do you think they get from that? Unfortunately some of those this whole "crackdown" is supposed to save will die because of it.

20 minutes ago, keikla said:

I think some of it is the message of "Stay home if you don't need to go to the hospital."  And while that message is definitely valid to some extent, I think it is being misinterpreted by patients in terms of what warrants going to the hospital.  I'd rather have patients at least call the ER for clarification than just assume that they should to stay home.

Hopefully these people have PCP’s to call rather than the ER. Virtual visits are getting amped up here quite a bit. 

13 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

You can’t be serious.:silly:  No, the CDC doesn't consider abortion a death statistic.      

How did we get from coronavirus to the abortion is murder debate?  What’s wrong with you people.  Oh wait, I forgot, it’s the internet. 

For the normals in the building, what IS interesting about that chart is it confirms the overwhelming level of heart disease in this country, which, next to being elderly, is the #1 risk factor for coronavirus death.  This is a risk other countries haven't had to factor into their coronavirus equations; at least not en masse.  God help some of those places down south. lol.  

I was commenting on a post that claimed the CDC considers abortions "death". I'm not here to be political, so save your sass for someone who cares.

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

You’re blaming trump for the extent of the outbreak,  but I am the one being political.  Lol. 

Do you remember all the fear mongering, panic, and political outrage during the swine flu epidemic that killed 12,000 Americans?

Yeah, neither do I.   

Huh?  The extent of the outbreak is directly proportionate to the preventative measures taken to control it.   

Ironically,  Trump's inaction is the reason we need to shut everything down.  If this administration had mass testing available early on, we'd have the ability to contain and track COVID's movement from the very earliest stages to present time.  Because he completely botched this, we don't know where the virus is concentrated, where it isn't, or have any clue about its movement patterns.  As such we're forced to flatten the curve everywhere....which is directly screwing up the economy and everyone's financial life.  Again, accountability, not politics.   

Anyways, like I said, it's overkill.  I'm done.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This has been tough on my family as my grandpa has recently been diagnosed with cancer and my dad can't travel down to see him while he is getting treatment. 

I was really looking forward to 2020 with my upcoming wedding in September, so far its has been nothing but a Calderon of suck. 

U of M basically said:  we are online for the rest of the year and if you are safe at home, don't bother coming back.

Graduation for all U of M campuses cancelled, they won't be the only ones who do this (won't get to see my sister walk at Duluth)

New research out of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) finds that the novel coronavirus HCoV-19 (SARS-2) causing the COVID-19 pandemic can survive for days on plastic and stainless steel and even lasts up to a full day on a cardboard surface.

If one person has Coronavirus at an Amazon warehouse (very likely) this will pass to a large portion of the country even with social distancing.

And social distancing and panic at the big box stores means more people will be ordering stuff online.

2 hours ago, keikla said:

They should be calling their own doctors. Their doctors should be managing them aggressively in order to keep them out of the ER. 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

If one person has Coronavirus at an Amazon warehouse (very likely) this will pass to a large portion of the country even with social distancing.

And social distancing and panic at the big box stores means more people will be ordering stuff online.

I swear I saw a Simpsons episode based on this.... 

Forbes article:

In what’s called “Farr’s Law,” dating back to 1840, all epidemics follow a roughly bell-shaped curve. As the most vulnerable victims are nabbed first, one existing case leads to more than one. But eventually each new infection causes only one other, and then less than another. That’s why ultimately all, since before the Plague of Athens (433 BC) are self-limiting. They peak and fall without benefit of the CDC, WHO, vaccines or effective treatments.

It's a great read. 

Apparently its common knowledge these experts are wrong a lot *cough* I mean fib...

Yes, the WHO is fibbing, along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as I discuss in great detail in Inference. They have been all along. The WHO has called it the “worst health crisis in modern times.” Worse than the “Spanish flu” of 1918-19, which extrapolated to today’s world population would mean 60-150 million deaths? Worse than AIDS with about 35 million deaths? Yet CDC Director Thomas Frieden also compared the Ebola outbreak to AIDS.

Time and again beginning with AIDS, both agencies have grossly exaggerated disease outbreaks. That includes Ebola twice before, SARS, avian flu, swine flu and Mideast Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). I debunked most of those at the time, but the health agencies know that nothing they ever pipe will be so outrageous that the mainstream media won’t dance to their tune. Meanwhile, endemic diseases that don’t make headlines, like tuberculosis, malaria, and infectious childhood diarrhea, each kill more people every two days than have died of Ebola in 28 years.

Sadly, the CDC and WHO have spent decades crying about monsters in the closet, distracting us from the very real ones in our midst.

Despite World Panic, The Rate Of New Ebola Infections Is Already Slowing Down

Sadly, I had to go back 5 years to find an honest assessment of "World Panic."

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I respect your opinion as your right.  I disagree on the accountability you describe.  As partial and incomplete information comes in, you trust your people and make the best calls you can.  Is FDR accountable for Pearl Harbor?  Is Jimmy Carter accountable for AIDS?  

Test kits, test kits, test kits- Not the damn issue.  It was how aggressive to respond.  It isn’t a simple CDC public health question.  Way more variables and considerations.  

Thus far we’re looking at the equivalent deaths of lightning strikes.  If it ends up being twice H1N1, was it worth blowing up the economy?  Less than H1N1?  We’ll never know, because we won’t know what would’ve happened without intervention.  

end of my rant- peace brother- good luck out there to you and your family.  

Great post.  Great examples given with FDR and Carter.  I would add Obama and 12000 Americans dead from Swine Flu.  It’s unfortunate that just 10 years later, one side has decided to make a serious health threat political. 

14 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Great post.  Great examples given with FDR and Carter.  I would add Obama and 12000 Americans dead from Swine Flu.  It’s unfortunate that just 10 years later, one side has decided to make a serious health threat political. 

One side? 

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

Well, I am safe ordering from Amazon then.  I NEVER get anything quicker than 3 days.....

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

Trump has admitted he was wrong. Fox News has admitted they were wrong. When will we as ND residents finally catch up and realize this is serious? We have been almost unscathed so far and hopefully we can preserve. 

What?  

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

What?  

What I don’t get is why isn’t the virus fully contained and everyone cured in all countries not headed by Trump?  

Also, North Dakotans are clearly not taking this seriously with the skyrocketing infection and death rates maintaining at 1 and 0.  

• Upvote 2