SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Why are so many upset because in hindsight, things were not done fast enough that they thought were stupid at the time?           Also, restricting the less vulnerable may not make much difference to their health but they would be the best carriers because they do not manifest the symptoms as obvious as the others.

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Ding, ding, ding.  Just like the body overreacting to fight off a virus and killing itself we are reacting in such a way that we may win the fight against the virus but we'll end up damaging our economy and our way of life to the point it might take a decade to recover.

The elderly and those with underlying conditions are the people most at risk they should be quarantined immediately.  That's the immediate action we should be taking.

It's time to publicly shame any elderly person you see roaming around in public.  Just yesterday I witnessed an old couple at a diner after going to church having their Sunday breakfast, wheat toast.  Are you effing kidding me?  You're 70+ years old and you're going out for wheat toast?  Meanwhile, high school kids are getting their activities cancelled, schools are getting closed, the young and healthy in this country are sacrificing so old people won't die and old people are going out for toast?  I've got a 99.6% survival rate according to the statistics but my 401k and our economic future are going into the toilet in an effort to save the lives of those at risk, yet they ignore the shutdowns and go out for toast.  Unbelievable.

In looks like in France over 50% of intensive care patients are under 60. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-more-half-coronavirus-patients-140950187.html

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.  

Trump did a very good job on the travel ban to China.  Very commendable on his part, especially in light of what Biden was saying.  But that doesn't diminish, nor rectify his ridiculous incompetency in other areas.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.    

If your kid comes home with a 50% on a test, do you throw a party for him because he got half the answers right?  

Criticism of the past and assignment of blame are the easiest and oft least useful actions in a crisis; anyone can do it. 
Some stay fixated on it, rather than dig in and help. 

If you don’t mind switching gears from the courtroom to the foxhole, would you share specific actions you are taking to help the greater good?

I'm not saying you aren’t, I’d just like to hear other ideas 

3 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

What's being implemented now should've been done much earlier.  Times of war, disease, etc. is when the federal government is needed. 

Trump's initial response was slow, muddled, lacked communication and chain of command; mainly due to 1. Trump not taking it seriously, 2. His dismantling of the Office of Pandemic Response.  Health security officials were screaming about the risks of cutting that program 2 years ago.  It wasn't until the stock market tanked did Trump start taking this situation seriously.  That failure is most abundantly clear the lack of testing.  We've tested a fraction of our people compared to other countries. 

Take note, testing is the basic cornerstone of fighting any new disease.  We're navigating blind without it.      

Holding our public officials accountable shouldn't be an issue of politics in times like these.  But, as Trump stated himself, he could shoot somebody on 5th Ave and not lose any votes.  Unfortunately, these are the times we're in, on both sides of the isle.  

covid_19_testing_per_capita.jpg

So to recap, Trump wasn't taking it seriously early enough, even though the media and democrats laughed at him for shutting off travel from China in early February.  You say he didn't take it seriously until the stock market fell, which just happened; and btw it's currently not early February.

Just out of curiosity I would genuinely like to know how do you, and others, perform the mental gymnastics required to believe the same people laughing at Trump for banning travel from China would've spent the remainder of February stocking our country full of test kits and everything else necessary to essentially prevent any outbreaks here in the U.S.? 

• Upvote 3

Panic buying in Seattle. I went to a Costco today and there was a line of about 100 people to get in the door. This was not at opening - it was an hour and a half later. They had a cop standing by the door. They had an easel set up outside the entrance with a list of out-of-stock items. I didn't go in. Then I went to a Fred Meyer. Not so bad there but can veggies and fruit were gone. I didn't look but I'm sure no TP, no PT, no hand sanitizer. This is getting scary. 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Anecdotlly only 55% of Americans have money in the stock market and of that percentage a majority is owned by 20%. 

Actually those numbers are more lopsided.  I just googled and attached an article.  Top 10% richest own 84% of stock market and it's been trending higher.  Only 27% of middle class owned.  Few years old.  From 2017 Money dot com

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Actually those numbers are more lopsided.  I just googled and attached an article.  Top 10% richest own 84% of stock market and it's been trending higher.  Only 27% of middle class owned.  Few years old.  From 2017 Money dot com

So if course stock market was a higher priority than testing kits. 

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So to recap, Trump wasn't taking it seriously early enough, even though the media and democrats laughed at him for shutting off travel from China in early February.  You say he didn't take it seriously until the stock market fell, which just happened; and btw it's currently not early February.

Just out of curiosity I would genuinely like to know how do you, and others, perform the mental gymnastics required to believe the same people laughing at Trump for banning travel from China would've spent the remainder of February stocking our country full of test kits and everything else necessary to essentially prevent any outbreaks here in the U.S.? 

You’re the one being political now.

That the democrats certainly would've screwed this up doesn't let Trump off the hook. This is not an either/or scenario. It’s about accountability. The buck stops at the top no matter who is in office.  Like I said, Trump did a fantastic job shutting down travel to China, but he screwed up royally in other areas that has left us woefully unprepared.

But whatever, I don’t expect the Trump cult followers to be able to admit this. Same way left wing radicals wouldn't either in the same situation.  

I think it's time to move on from this topic though.  It's overkill.  Everybody has basically had their say.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

You’re the one being political now.

That the democrats certainly would've screwed this up doesn't let Trump off the hook. This is not an either/or scenario. It’s about accountability. The buck stops at the top no matter who is in office.  Like I said, Trump did a fantastic job shutting down travel to China, but he screwed up royally in other areas that has left us woefully unprepared.

But whatever, I don’t expect the Trump cult followers to be able to admit this. Same way left wing radicals wouldn't either in the same situation.  

I think it's time to move on from this topic though.  It's overkill.  Everybody has basically had their say.  

You’re blaming trump for the extent of the outbreak,  but I am the one being political.  Lol. 

Do you remember all the fear mongering, panic, and political outrage during the swine flu epidemic that killed 12,000 Americans?

Yeah, neither do I.   

• Upvote 1

At this point in time our healthcare system is keeping up, there has been minimal death, but Our economy is being devastated on Wall Street and Main Street.  

we waited to break out draconian measures until it was the only thing we could do.  Too late?  Time will tell. I’d be reluctant to shut down the country, cage (aka isolate)people coming into the country that might be sick or even who are sick, until I was absolutely certain it was the only option.