SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

7 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Ding, ding, ding.  Just like the body overreacting to fight off a virus and killing itself we are reacting in such a way that we may win the fight against the virus but we'll end up damaging our economy and our way of life to the point it might take a decade to recover.

The elderly and those with underlying conditions are the people most at risk they should be quarantined immediately.  That's the immediate action we should be taking.

It's time to publicly shame any elderly person you see roaming around in public.  Just yesterday I witnessed an old couple at a diner after going to church having their Sunday breakfast, wheat toast.  Are you effing kidding me?  You're 70+ years old and you're going out for wheat toast?  Meanwhile, high school kids are getting their activities cancelled, schools are getting closed, the young and healthy in this country are sacrificing so old people won't die and old people are going out for toast?  I've got a 99.6% survival rate according to the statistics but my 401k and our economic future are going into the toilet in an effort to save the lives of those at risk, yet they ignore the shutdowns and go out for toast.  Unbelievable.

This is a really good point

7 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Ding, ding, ding.  Just like the body overreacting to fight off a virus and killing itself we are reacting in such a way that we may win the fight against the virus but we'll end up damaging our economy and our way of life to the point it might take a decade to recover.

The elderly and those with underlying conditions are the people most at risk they should be quarantined immediately.  That's the immediate action we should be taking.

It's time to publicly shame any elderly person you see roaming around in public.  Just yesterday I witnessed an old couple at a diner after going to church having their Sunday breakfast, wheat toast.  Are you effing kidding me?  You're 70+ years old and you're going out for wheat toast?  Meanwhile, high school kids are getting their activities cancelled, schools are getting closed, the young and healthy in this country are sacrificing so old people won't die and old people are going out for toast?  I've got a 99.6% survival rate according to the statistics but my 401k and our economic future are going into the toilet in an effort to save the lives of those at risk, yet they ignore the shutdowns and go out for toast.  Unbelievable.

1538589881286.jpg

6 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Some early intervention to protect the health of the public would have been nice. 

No......you and your family. That's how you phrased it. I wants specifics.  Masks?  Choppers dropping in food and supplies? Free Netflix?

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

No......you and your family. That's how you phrased it. I wants specifics.

Never forget - those dying from Coronavirus are more important than those dying from the flu/pneumonia.  Shut down the country for this version but ignore all the others.  

• Upvote 1

Read an article last night. It's key point: We need to answer the big question most Americans want to ask....instead of closing all schools and colleges, restaurants, bars, most places of businesses, all sporting events and other large gatherings for the general population why don't we just isolate those most at risk and vulnerable to this virus?

14 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I’m not sure that’s fair. The people who need to stay home are those who don’t feel well and those who have traveled out of country or out of state especially states where there have been breakouts of the virus. You are correct in stating the elderly are at higher risk but so are those with chronic illnesses. It seems most of the outbreaks are people who traveled and those who had symptoms but didn’t stay home. You are also correct in stating they are better off staying home. Going to church was probably riskier than going out for breakfast.  Let’s keep it together. Instead of public shaming ask them if they need anything.  Ask them if you can pick up and deliver groceries for them. That will do more to keep them off the streets than harassing them. That way you become part of the solution and not part of the problem. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Read an article last night. It's key point: We need to answer the big question most Americans want to ask....instead of closing all schools and colleges, restaurants, bars, most places of businesses, all sporting events and other large gatherings for the general population why don't we just isolate those most at risk and vulnerable to this virus?

Because this would likely overwhelm our hospital systems causing many to die.

16 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not sure that’s fair. The people who need to stay home are those who don’t feel well and those who have traveled out of country or out of state especially states where there have been breakouts of the virus. You are correct in stating the elderly are at higher risk but so are those with chronic illnesses. It seems most of the outbreaks are people who traveled and those who had symptoms but didn’t stay home. You are also correct in stating they are better off staying home. Going to church was probably riskier than going out for breakfast.  Let’s keep it together. Instead of public shaming ask them if they need anything.  Ask them if you can pick up and deliver groceries for them. That will do more to keep them off the streets than harassing them. That way you become part of the solution and not part of the problem. 

Nah, I think it's fair that if the young and healthy in this country are getting their lives so disrupted it's only fair those who are in high risk categories change their lifestyle too.  Those 10-19 years old have a .2% death rate according to the numbers out of China, yet their state tournaments were cancelled and schools closed.  Could have held the games with no fans, still closed.  Those kids had their high school dreams stripped from them, probably have their proms and graduations cancelled too, yet they are at very low risk.  Yes, I understand they can still be carriers but how about this, just stay away from the old and at risk.  18 year olds hanging out together isn't the problem, it's an 18 year old giving it to an 80 year old.  Best way to prevent this is for the old people to stay home.  People who are over 70 are, for the most part, retired and financially secure.  They are in a much better position in their lives to go through a quarantine as opposed to a 23 year old waitress (.2% mortality rate) who is trying to make ends meet, yet it's her business that is shut down.  She won't be able to pay her rent yet we have old folks still out wandering around.  They should be publicly criticized for doing so.  Maybe they'll change their behavior then and by you shaming them, you just saved their life.

Of course, if you don't feel well you should obviously stay home.  How is that different than any other time?  It's not okay to be out spreading a cold or the flu either.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/lamvo/coronavirus-death-rates-age-charts-us-china

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

I don’t think most are trying to make this a political hay. I am unhappy about the lack of steps that have been taken to protect US citizens, including my family. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

What are you looking for the government to do specifically for you and your family?

What's being implemented now should've been done much earlier.  Times of war, disease, etc. is when the federal government is needed. 

Trump's initial response was slow, muddled, lacked communication and chain of command; mainly due to 1. Trump not taking it seriously, 2. His dismantling of the Office of Pandemic Response.  Health security officials were screaming about the risks of cutting that program 2 years ago.  It wasn't until the stock market tanked did Trump start taking this situation seriously.  That failure is most abundantly clear the lack of testing.  We've tested a fraction of our people compared to other countries. 

Take note, testing is the basic cornerstone of fighting any new disease.  We're navigating blind without it.      

Holding our public officials accountable shouldn't be an issue of politics in times like these.  But, as Trump stated himself, he could shoot somebody on 5th Ave and not lose any votes.  Unfortunately, these are the times we're in, on both sides of the isle.  

covid_19_testing_per_capita.jpg

29 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Unnamed sources tell me that not calling it the "Wuhan Virus" would have done plenty in the way of stopping its spread.  

Does this mean that the person/people who named the Lyme disease after where it originated-in Lyme, Connecticut-hate people from Lyme? 

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

What's being implemented now should've been done much earlier.  Times of war, disease, etc. is when the federal government is needed. 

Like, oh, for example, that travel ban from China to the US?  

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/criticisms-of-trumps-coronavirus-response-are-sickening-devine/

“This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia — hysterical xenophobia — and fearmongering,” said Biden the day after the travel restrictions were imposed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Like, oh, for example, that travel ban from China to the US?  

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/criticisms-of-trumps-coronavirus-response-are-sickening-devine/

I'm not sure what your point is here.  

Trump did a very good job on the travel ban to China.  Very commendable on his part, especially in light of what Biden was saying.  But that doesn't diminish, nor rectify his ridiculous incompetency in other areas.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.    

If your kid comes home with a 50% on a test, do you throw a party for him because he got half the answers right?  

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What does the asterisk on the US number really mean? Are the numbers reliable at all? Or severely understated for the US?

Yea, it's probably understated.  But not overly so.  Here's a good article regarding the numbers:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51875871

What's more infuriating is that this country doesn't even have a centralized data registry tracking system in place.  Some of this incompetency is astounding.   

• Upvote 1

Non-essential University of North Dakota employees (including myself) will be working remotely for the next two weeks. The message from Interim President Wynne:

Social distancing continues to be the most effective way to limit the spread of coronavirus. In light of the increasing pace of known cases throughout the country, the University of North Dakota is directing all non-essential employees who can work remotely to work with their supervisors do so effective Noon Monday, March 16 through Saturday, April 4. Employees should report to work Monday, March 16 as usual to discuss work plans with your supervisor, how to track time and gather necessary files and belongings. 

All benefitted and non-benefitted individuals, who are approved to work from home,  will continue to be paid as normal during this time. For those working remotely, you need to account for your work and time. The Office of Human Resources and Payroll Services will be sending out a separate email with instructions on how to track your work. The Vice President for Research will also be sending out an email regarding research activities. Non-essential employees, who are not able to work remotely, are considered to be on-call and/or ready to report to work as necessary. 

Students in need of services are expected to call rather than visit in person. University residence halls and Wilkerson Commons dining services will remain open to assist students who remain on campus. University Childcare Learning Center will remain open until further notice. While the University remains open, with employees working remotely, buildings will have limited access. Employees will still be able to enter their buildings with electronic and key access. The Wellness Center, American Indian Center, Hyslop and Chester Fritz Library buildings will be closed with staff working remotely.

The health and well-being of our community is of the utmost importance. This is a fluid situation, and the University will continue to monitor and communicate changes. 

I feel like I am in a movie.

Wait until the real estate echo...lots of boomers going to get wiped out financially.  Last month $1M in 401k and $1M in home equity all up CA, Seattle, New England, NY, mid Atlantic....about to be $500k in 401k and an upside down house...

18 minutes ago, 802Sioux said:

I say this as someone who sits at a public facing desk in a hospital. Now is the time for our better sides. Some of our famous American coming together.  My suggestions: Offer babysitting to a nurse, offer to grocery shop for your elderly neighbors, buy a gift certificate from your favorite restaurant but stay home, spare a square for your neighbor if they run out. There will be all the time in the world for arguments when we have been through this.  I have my opinions about how this will all play out.  But it really doesn’t matter at this point in time.  We have largely cast our die.  But no matter how this plays out things are going to be damn ugly and we are best served by pulling together. Left, right and center we are all still in this together. 

Yep, the virus doesn't care how you vote or what you believe.

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yep, the virus doesn't care how you vote or what you believe.

That's the sad thing.  Everything's been politicized.  

In times like these public officials should be held to the utmost standards by everyone because (potentially) many lives are on the line, nor does the virus care about politics.    

I guess, at least for the time being, all we can do is make the best of it, be safe and help others!  

• Upvote 4