SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

You mean to tell me high risk individuals have the option not to go to hockey games?

We can let individuals decide what's best for themselves?

We don't have to affect everyone by forcing events to shut down?

Crazy concept!

True

But any cancellation of attendance to sporting events are about the big picture, not the relatively few in attendance.

This is about the rate of acceleration. 

If there is a rapid escalation nationwide, medical staffs are woefully under-equipped with respirators, masks, goggles hazmat suits, quarantine rooms, cleaning resources, and trained staff. The system could be quickly overwhelmed and life would get hard for everyone from both a healthcare and economic standpoint.

We don’t even have the means to collect or test  samples in large numbers yet. A million kits available isn’t the same as being able to collect and test a million samples. .

If you have a fever most physician offices don’t allow you in the door. One positive patient might shut down the office. 

Fevers are now sent to the ER.
ER’s are forced to send you home, if you are lucky you get a test. In a few weeks it may not be an option to be hospitalized with pneumonia. Each time a healthcare worker gets sick we are down a man. There Is a long list of weak links in the chain so we need to keep the rate of acceleration low. 

It’s fine for large numbers of a healthy demographic to put themselves at risk, until they contribute to a rapid nationwide spread and put everyone’s jobs and lives at risk. No economy can handle a prolonged shutdown. We get a handle on this early or not at all. 

This is bigger than individuals, sometimes in this country we all come together with self sacrifice for everyone’s sake. Men go to war to keep their people healthy and employed. Proactively trying not to spread a new virus is not a big a sacrifice. 

See the results of the 1957 and 1968 pandemics, knowing this virus might be a much tougher foe. Maybe a little caution is warranted. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

True

But any cancellation of attendance to sporting events are about the big picture, not the relatively few in attendance.

This is about the rate of acceleration. 

If there is a rapid escalation nationwide, medical staffs are woefully under-equipped with respirators, masks, goggles hazmat suits, quarantine rooms, cleaning resources, and trained staff. The system could be quickly overwhelmed and life would get hard for everyone from both a healthcare and economic standpoint.

We don’t even have the means to collect or test  samples in large numbers yet. A million kits available isn’t the same as being able to collect and test a million samples. .

If you have a fever most physician offices don’t allow you in the door. One positive patient might shut down the office. 

Fevers are now sent to the ER.
ER’s are forced to send you home, if you are lucky you get a test. In a few weeks it may not be an option to be hospitalized with pneumonia. Each time a healthcare worker gets sick we are down a man. There Is a long list of weak links in the chain so we need to keep the rate of acceleration low. 

It’s fine for large numbers of a healthy demographic to put themselves at risk, until they contribute to a rapid nationwide spread and put everyone’s jobs and lives at risk. No economy can handle a prolonged shutdown. We get a handle on this early or not at all. 

This is bigger than individuals, sometimes in this country we all come together with self sacrifice for everyone’s sake. Men go to war to keep their people healthy and employed. Proactively trying not to spread a new virus is not a big a sacrifice. 

See the results of the 1957 and 1968 pandemics, knowing this virus might be a much tougher foe. Maybe a little caution is warranted. 

Excellent post. 

I wonder why the US was not one of the 60 countries that accepted test kits from the WHO.

The first reported case of corona was January 7 in China. Worldwide slightly over 110000 total cases have been confirmed and reported as of today. For argument sake in 2 months worldwide that's the "rate of acceleration" of this virus spreading that too many people keep bringing up.

By contrast from October thru February, just in the US, 34M have been sickened by the flu.....5 months.

There are more corona and flu cases obviously not reported or confirmed but let's get some perspective here before we all decide to curl up in the fetal position in our bathtubs for weeks.

.....and let's please stop with the analogy of the sacrifices our men and women in the military have made over the years to the potential "sacrifice" of some people who are too scared to leave their house or congregate around others.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

The first reported case of corona was January 7 in China. Worldwide slightly over 110000 total cases have been confirmed and reported as of today. For argument sake in 2 months worldwide that's the "rate of acceleration" of this virus spreading that too many people keep bringing up.

By contrast from October thru February, just in the US, 34M have been sickened by the flu.....5 months.

There are more corona and flu cases obviously not reported or confirmed but let's get some perspective here before we all decide to curl up in the fetal position in our bathtubs for weeks.

.....and let's please stop with the analogy of the sacrifices our men and women in the military have made over the years to the potential "sacrifice" of some people who are too scared to leave their house or congregate around others.

CDC estimates the flu has 34 million cases and 20,000 deaths. They also are estimating the death rate for the Coronavirus at 3.5% and I understand this number isn’t 100% accurate as we don’t have the proper tools to even test people yet. But it’s the CDC’s estimate today which says the Coronavirus has a death rate 70 times that of the flu. 

You’d think the US could have learned from china’s mistake by letting this thing spread rampantly for a month before taking any action. 

If you are sick please do us all a favor and stay home!

On 3/8/2020 at 5:56 AM, CMSioux said:

So you are gonna go political on this site. If we had a president that did not cut the C D C and put some preparation into this (it was only a surprise to him)'we would not be here.

I would not call that political. I posted an opinion(not really even an opinion at this point, but fact) that our media has a very apparent agenda and you attacked the President of the United States with false information you probably came across from the very organizations I was calling out.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

CDC estimates the flu has 34 million cases and 20,000 deaths. They also are estimating the death rate for the Coronavirus at 3.5% and I understand this number isn’t 100% accurate as we don’t have the proper tools to even test people yet. But it’s the CDC’s estimate today which says the Coronavirus has a death rate 70 times that of the flu. 

You’d think the US could have learned from china’s mistake by letting this thing spread rampantly for a month before taking any action. 

If you are sick please do us all a favor and stay home!

I'm not one of them but there are so many people in this country that cannot afford to take 2-3 weeks off of work. I say let everyone run free, if you've got a weakened immune system you can stay home and the rest of us will get the virus and get over it. *Shrug*

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

So I guess if you are under 80 its unfair to call it the flu.

Turns out it's more like a common cold.

So just go ahead and cancel the Boston St. Paddy's Day parade over this crisis then.

............oh wait nevermind.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Let me know when Disneyland or Mall of America shuts down.

True, and boatloads of Chinese (where it supposedly originated) tourists, at Disneyland & in Las Vegas, but no outbreaks in those places; and haven't heard of any young schoolchildren being infected in droves. I guess this super-mcduper deadly virus, that only the CDC can diagnose, btw (lol/talk about a scam of epic proportions), is throwing many healthcare professionals for a loop. 

Strange how certain venues are being cancelled, & others are allowed to continue, like the NCAA basketball tournament. 

It's easy & there's no risk of being an outcast when one runs with the herd & parrots the tv; types I call matrix-reinforcers, oftentimes showcasing their loyalty to the state & various causes via bumper stickers. It's nice to see courage & a free spirit with some here, to raise one's hand, speak up, & say "Just a minute now...", regardless of the consequences...to rise above the droning & regurgitations of one's statist peers in the name of common sense & freedom.

• Upvote 3

Santa Clara County just effectively shut down the San Jose Sharks.  County wide ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people.  Sharks will be playing in an empty stadium.

This is getting ridiculous.  Media driven hysteria is doing more damage to this country and the economy than the coronavirus.  Simply look at the numbers, you have a better chance of dying in a car accident today than dying from coronavirus.  The hysteria won't stop until we go full on quarantine like Italy so be prepared to be stuck at home or at least have travel restricted to your county/city.  We're stocking up on essentials in the Yote53 household; TP, non-perishable food, water, beer, and vodka.  A ton of beer and vodka.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

Santa Clara County just effectively shut down the San Jose Sharks.  County wide ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people.  Sharks will be playing in an empty stadium.

My bank account would have appreciated if Santa Clara County shut down large crowds prior to the NFC Championship game

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

This is getting ridiculous.  Media driven hysteria is doing more damage to this country and the economy than the coronavirus.  Simply look at the numbers, you have a better chance of dying in a car accident today than dying from coronavirus.  The hysteria won't stop until we go full on quarantine like Italy so be prepared to be stuck at home or at least have travel restricted to your county/city.  We're stocking up on essentials in the Yote53 household; TP, non-perishable food, water, beer, and vodka.  A ton of beer and vodka.

I go back to if this is the precedent that is being set because of something slightly greater than the common cold for a vast majority of the population why the **** do we have school for our kids in this part of the country from October thru April moving forward???